New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SPACKlick
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  17:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya, first post other than intro. I'm putting together the viv for my new snake, due in a week or so. And I've been told to run it for a few days to normalize the temperature.

Flatpack seems to work ok, I can seal it up with silicon and make sure that dries, my issue is the flatpack does not come with a hole in the roof through which to fit the heat bulb.

Does it matter where I put the bulb? I was thinking of putting it way down one end so there was a temperature gradient and probably slightly towards the back because royals like to be away from the glass and feel up against the walls. any advice?

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  17:06:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My flat-packed vivs came with a small hole between the back wall and the roof where I could thread a cable, if your one doesn't you could perhaps cut a small bit out where they join and then just seal it after.

Go to Top of Page

SPACKlick
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  17:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was between the roof and the back wall then how would it support the light (the back wall is thin and nailed on to the viv, I assumed it would need to go through the roof so that the bulb can be bolted to it, should it not face straight down?
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  17:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you drill a hole at the back close to the roof then the cable can pass through it. You then screw the heatlamp holder to the roof where you want it.

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

SPACKlick
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  16:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, the lamp design i have has the cable running through the bolt that attatches it to the ceiling. But is back corner the right place for the heat lamp.
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  00:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you want to place it were it well be most effective. If you put it to far into the corner you will be using half of the lamp and energy just to heat the wall of you viv.

What size is your viv? in my smaller 2ft vivs i have heat lamp placed about 4" out from the viv side wall and centered between front and back. these two viv measure 22"Wx22"Hx16"D. using a 75watt infra and a dimming stat. I have a warm end of 89.8F and 81F at the cool end.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page