New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  09:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Gary has been with me for 2 weeks now and I have a few questions.

His first ever feed was in the middle of May to give you an idea of age. He is now 38cm long and weighs just above 60g. Does this seem small for his age?

He hasn't emptied since i've had him so cannot give an accurate weight, but he did shed just before he came to me, and the weight of 62g was after 1 feed with me.

He has had 7 feeds since hatching but he always seems hungry, I think if i offered food everyday he'll take it (constantly sits in his hide with his nose poking out, other than the day after a feed). Against advice I've been feeding him every 4 days on rat pups weighing 8-10g when frozen, not sure of the drop in weight after defrost.

I have toyed with moving to feeding every 5 days but feeding 2 rats at a time, but after he eats he darts straight into his hide, so doubt there would be much interest in a second rat.

Lastly, room humidity is 65%, so RUB humidity normally sits between that and 75%, will this cause any long term issues as i've tried everything, and if i drill any more holes into the RUB there won't be any box left!!!

Thanks in advance!

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  11:36:06  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would suggest every 5 days, and try a slightly bigger rat pup/rat fluff. If when feeding every 5 days he is still out and about on the mooch for food I would feed 2 until he is big enough to take a weaner.

I would reduce the humidity too, personally I find 50% - 60% works best for me. Is your water on the hot side? Maybe try a faunarium, never had one of them have high humidity, as the lids are totally open (well, you know what I mean)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  14:54:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I would suggest every 5 days, and try a slightly bigger rat pup/rat fluff. If when feeding every 5 days he is still out and about on the mooch for food I would feed 2 until he is big enough to take a weaner.

I would reduce the humidity too, personally I find 50% - 60% works best for me. Is your water on the hot side? Maybe try a faunarium, never had one of them have high humidity, as the lids are totally open (well, you know what I mean)

Agreed.

Go to Top of Page

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  15:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, i was under the impression a fluff is smaller than a pup, have i got that the wrong way round? Reason i assumed that is down to the feeding sheet supplied when i got Gary, his first 2 feeds were on a "F" and then after that has been on "RP". Helpfully they didn't actually write what the abbreviations meant... Can i do damage to him feeding every 4 days as i don't think he'd take a second feed straight after the first, I will try tonight tho.

Well the humidity of my house is 65% (tested with my hydrowhatsit, electronic exoterra one), so getting below that is going to be literally impossible. The water is on the cool side, i've actually reduced the size of the 'bowl' to ensure its as far away from the mat as possible. I've actually taken to removing the lid when possible, but obviously isn't a good solution. Is there a plant or something that can reduce humidity?

The idea of a faunarium is a nice one, but I'm completely fundless at the moment.

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister

Edited by - Vazzza on 28/08/2009 15:54:53
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe having a couple windows in yer house open a crack during the day (not near the snakes viv obviously) to try and move the air a bit? Other than that maybe try a de-humidifier for a few days in the house.

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:17:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Generally food size goes:-

Rat Pups/Pinks
Rat Fuzzies
Rat Fluffs
Rat Weaners
Small Rats
Medium Rats
Large Rats

but some shops do seem to call them other things.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  23:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a fan running in the room can help bring the humidity down a bit as well.

but again obviously not beside the rub.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle

Edited by - spor on 01/09/2009 23:55:20
Go to Top of Page

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  10:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boze

Maybe having a couple windows in yer house open a crack during the day (not near the snakes viv obviously) to try and move the air a bit? Other than that maybe try a de-humidifier for a few days in the house.

D

I would love to do this, but we left a conservatory window open a few months back and someone jumped in and took my wallet, so since have kept the house locked down.

I think I'll give the fan idea a go, maybe coupled with a de-humidifier. I need to do something as this room is where we are going to try and get into breeding so need everything right!

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  12:53:55  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is possible that it was fed a mouse fluff at first to start it off. Then quickly switched to rat pups. Rat fluffs are hard to get hold of at some shops, but are worth it if you can.

Go to Top of Page

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  13:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
karl you may well have just hit the nail on the head. The feeding record just says F so its hard to tell, but it defo makes sense.

Last night I thought i'd try giving Gary 2 rats as he always seems hungry, and after a meal nearly always pops into the warm hide and instantly sticks his head out looking for another feed. Well it was a wasted rat. He wasn't interested in the slightest, so back to feeding one rat every 4 days. i did leave in the RUB overnight and was still there in the morning I suppose i should be happy he took 1!!!

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000