Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kerriekins666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  18:59:21  Show Profile  Click to see kerriekins666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
humidity has got to 73%
i dont know what to do, i dont think it is going to go down any further and it is near the window so there is air circulation

can i put snake in viv with 73% humidity

khiggins
Go to Top of Page

kerriekins666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  19:09:41  Show Profile  Click to see kerriekins666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and i have read that some people on here dont measure their humidity. does this mean that it wont affect the snake too much if it is higher than normal.

khiggins
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  20:20:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how you're getting such a high humidity. It is digital not dial?

More ventilation.

Go to Top of Page

kerriekins666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  20:54:45  Show Profile  Click to see kerriekins666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well i have got two ventilation holes in the back of the vivarium. I have 16 ventilation holes in a square shape in the cool end of the vivarium and have 9 ventilation holes in the hot end.
the temperature is 86oF, so the temperature is all sorted out now.
The humidity as we speak is 88%.
2 days ago it stopped on 91%, and now it is stopping on 88% so i am guessing that it will slowly go down to an ambient humidity, probably the bark chippings drying out.
i rung a royal python breeder about an hour ago, and he said that it will sort itself out in about 4-5 days. I said that i was getting the snake tomorrow but wasnt going to go ahead with it if the humidity was going to cause him any problems. He said to me that high humidity can cause RI but that is only if the humidity has been high forever. He said keeping your snake in the viv while the humidity sorts itself out for 4-5 days will not cause any harm. So he told me i was ok to go ahead with bringing the snake home. I am purchasing a smaller water bowl as well because the one that came with the setup is really a bit big for the viv and he said that could also be a reason.
so snake comes home tomorrow and all fingers crossed for the humidity to sort itself out.

khiggins
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  21:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you still dont have any stats, and still have high humidity, dont get the snake. If you get a stat, and chnage the substrate to paper, problem solved.

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  09:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Matty said.

If the breeder is responsible he should be happy to hold the snake for you until you get the setup right. The reason some of us don't measure the humidity is that in the UK the average humidity is 50% which is what royals need. These guys come from Africa, 88% humidity will make them ill. If it's that high I don't see it dropping to 50% within a few days unless you ditch the bark and go with paper or aspen.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  15:12:39  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you using a digital hygrometer, if you are using a dial, they are way out.

I found that out today. The dial was showing my room humidity at 75% and her viv at 85%.

So I went and got a digital dual thermo/hygro from B&Q, about £10 but you can them cheaper on the net and it dropped it to 55% in and out the rub.

Also by putting your viv closer to the window, is that affecting your temps at all? I see you have 88%, what is your cooler temp? As I have bin having problems stabilising my cool end

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000