Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Aaah beech chip swallowed, should I be worried?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ukglyn
Yearling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  21:08:12  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Just fed slash as normal, except this time he pulled the rat off the feeding tray & on to the beech chip substrate, I watched closely to see if any got stuck to the rat & it did. 1 piece fell off but 1 got stuck in his mouth, he wiggled his jaw about & swallowed it!! I am now really worried about it, do you think he will be ok? what should I do?
Thanks for any help recieved.
Glyn

www.glyntjonesphotography.co.uk

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  21:10:08  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
beech chippings aren't digestable....... but hopefully it will pass through your snake's digestive system without causing any blockage or ruptures........

what size chippings do you use?

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  21:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big was the peice and how big is the snake, a pic of the snake on the substrate is probably the best way to show us.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  21:13:07  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hope it passes and wasnt a big piece

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Yearling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  21:14:25  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reckon the piece was about 5mm by 3 mm & about 1mm thick, the snake is about 2ft long, going to try to get a pic now to post here.

P.s the chippings are coarse grade!!

Edited by - ukglyn on 14/09/2009 21:16:02
Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Yearling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  21:22:25  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cant get pic, he gone into his hide!! Really gutted about this!

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  21:32:27  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would keep a close eye on him and check his poo when he gos next

Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Yearling

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  21:40:10  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do I hope that the chipping shows up in his poo, so then i know its passed through ok? How long is it until I know I am in the clear?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  22:51:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If there is no obvious blockage and he poos ok then you should be fine. Fingers crossed for you.

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  11:14:52  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is the only advise anyone can give right now. "Don't worry about it", there is nothing you can do now that it has been done. I have had snakes take small chips in before and all of mine are ok. Still crapping and eating as normal. They are alot more hardy than we often think, though it would be nice if we didn't have to worry at all.

There HAS to be snakes ingesting in the wild, and though we don't know how many have complications due to this I think it's fair to say that short of ingesting a branch, they should be ok.....

As above, fingers crossed.

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  14:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it helps, Princess had a blockage when we first got her which turned out to be a stone. The vet cleared it with an enema and she's been fine ever since.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2009 :  15:44:37  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just been thinking about this glyn and wondered how things were?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000