New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  21:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hatchling is rubbing up and down the viv and is really trying to nudge along the run and joins in the glass. Had him a week, he fed on Thursday. Temperatures are 25 at cool end and 32 at warm end, slightly hotter under his ceramic. Is he OK? Could he be hungry, was going to feed him again on Tuesday or Wednesday?

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. as you have only had him a week he could still be going through the settling in process and exploring and getting used to his viv.

What size is the viv? any chance of getting a pic of it u?. that way we will be able to answer your question a bit better? Are you using digital thermometers?
as for your temps. you could be doing with an extra couple of degrees on the cool end aiming for 27C. And how much is slightly hotter under the ceramic. 35C would be your absolute max for a hot spot.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
34 degrees. He spends most of his time in his hide at the cool end, he doesn't seem to go into the hide at the warm end. 2ft but LOTS of hiding places. It's the first time he's been really active.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he could just be having a good look around. When i first got mine they done something similar where they used the edge of the doors to climb up. and then fall down. If he is doing it all the time and in the middle of the day then it might be worth thinking about adding in a few more things to the viv or moving him in to a rub until he is a bit bigger.. a pic would help.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to do the pic now but internet keeps crashing

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quite a lot of open space in there for him. i would suggest adding a bit more greenery and maybe an old kitchen roll tube or two just to fill up the space a bit more. apart from that it looks great. oh just so you know. you are not using a ceramic its an infra red reflector lamp.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry!

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't being saying sorry you have nothing to be saying sorry for.LOL i was just letting you know about the heat source incase the bulb goes and when you go to replace realize that you have ordered the wrong thing.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  19:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Filled the viv up with toilet rolls and loads more plants and he's still doing it. Comes out for 20 minutes or so and then goes back in. I looked at loads of of snakes before I chose him, as he was the brightest and seemed happiest to be handled. Looked at him a few times before I bought him and he always seem quite active. If I hadn't fed him on Thursday I'd have said he was hungry. Does just what the Boas do when they're hungry (I stay away, they scare me!). Checked on your feeding guide and I fed him about the right size. Think I'm just worried as the adults at work never seem to move unless you wave a rat in front of them. My hubbie says I'm just a born worrier.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  19:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
worrying definitely comes with keeping royals especially hatchlings. as i had said above he is probably still settling in and having a good explore and now that there is a bit more decor in his viv he'll explore it a bit more again. if he is only out for 20mins or so and then away i wouldn't worry. it would be a different matter if he was there all the time. I'm sure he'll be fine. once he has really settled in, over a period of months rather than weeks you could remove some decor not to much and only a bit at a time. and if he is feeding ok then thats a good sign.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  19:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think my instinct was right. He's greedy. Put him in his feeding box, popped in rat pup, before I had chance to cover the box over... he had it. Now he's happily whizzing round the viv again, climbing as all over and shooting through all of the tunnels. Bless. When does he sleep?

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  19:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are normally more dormant during the day. my three would go and curl up some where after dinner and you might not see them for a day.LOL good that he is eating, its a good sign.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  20:32:54  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
see if you can get your hands on rat fluffs, if he can chow down pups very easily then a bigger meal (or feeding multiples) might be the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  21:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree with Karl, maybe he needs more, if you cant get fluffs try him with two rat pups...but i would up his food size...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  18:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last 2 feeds have been 2 large rat pups 6 days ago (they were practically as big as fluffs) and then yesterday a mouse. I feed him out of the viv and when I went to open his feeding box last night he struck at my fingers. Tonight I came home and he is already rubbing his head up and down the glass. He will probably be like that until after I go to bed. In the morning he's asleep when I get up but as soon as he knows there is someone around he comes out of his hide. I don't even have to pick him up to handle him, I just open the viv, put my hand next to the door and he comes onto my hand. Just worried something is making him either hungry all the time or that there is something that means he doesn't feel comfortable in the viv.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000