Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  21:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sid, our baby, doesn;t seem interested in feeding. I;ve been reading some other posts and I notice that you guys are all mentioning assisting your snakes in feeding and I have no idea what that means? Also I would like some advice as to when to start worrying if he doesn;t eat? What signs should we look out for ect. Any advice is gratefully received Thanks

Tony

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  21:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, first place to look at when they are not feeding is there home..

If you can give as much detail as possible about his set up and what temps your keeping him at how your measuring those temps etc etc and any photos of your set up so we can see if it is that which needs adjusting...

how long have you had him? is he a baby? how long since he fed?

did you get a feeding record with him...

and it is a good idea to monitor his weight to on a weekly basis...

all this info helps ...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 06/10/2009 21:33:24
Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  21:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my husband's snake and he's away at the mo, I just get worried, but this what I know.
He's 10 weeks old. No feeding record given when we got him. He's in breeding viv at the mo, temperture in centre of viv is 76 degrees but viv only half on heat mat; other half off mat to allow cooler end.
The shop gave Tony bark but after reading a few other posts he's changed this to paper. There's a small water bowl thingy in the coolo end and a couple of bark pieces for hides.
I'd take a photo but wouldn't have clue how to get it onto the site for you to look at.
Hope this helps

Tony
Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  21:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also no idea when he last fed. Only had him 2 weeks but yet to feed.
Do we measure him just in some kitchen scales?

Tony
Go to Top of Page

Debbie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  22:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We weigh ours on some digital kitchen scales with some kitchen towel in the bottom. We do it at floor level so that they can't get hurt if they move suddenly. I do not know how you have attempted to feed your baby snake but have you tried slowly putting near its mouth and then gradually pulling the prey slowly along the ground away from the snake? Is it at the correct temperature so that the snake can sense that it is prey? What time of day are you trying to feed it? Ours prefer late evening (9.00 pm to 11.00 pm). I hope some of this helps?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  22:44:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How big is the viv, what's the temp at the warm end?

Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  00:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI there
The viv is 11.8"x7.7"x5.7" it's what the reptile centre gave us.
I personally think it's too small but what do I know!
I'm a typical mum and I worry when people/animals don't eat.
There isn't enough room in the viv to try moving to slowly away from Sid.
He seems to not be interested at all and jumps if the food touches him!
I find myself getting really upsey cause I don't like to think that he's in any distress and that we could be the cause!

Tony
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  00:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lee would normally come in at this stage and ask were you are. so he can check members map to see if there is any one near by that could may be help. I would say that if temp is only 76 in the middle that they may be a bit low. it can take 1-2 weeks for a snake to settle but not knowing when it last feed isn't great. is there any way of contacting were you got it from to find out?
as has been said above try and weigh so you can see if there has been any weight lose. what size of food are you offering and how often are you offering?

your viv size is fine for a ten week old snake. Royals like smaller more secure habitats. what kind . if you have a camera on your phone you and know how to put it on your computer. then the rest is easy.
open a photo bucket account (if you don't already have one.) click the upload button, it will open a browser allowing you to locate the photo on your computer, click the photo, then click open. this will start the up load. once complete it will come up in a screen where you can add titles etc. scroll to bottom click return to album. you will see your photo. hover mouse over it and below will appear links for posting in web site etc. left click on the link for IMG. then right click and copy. then just paste that link on here. instruction probably explained better here.
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle

Edited by - spor on 07/10/2009 00:41:25
Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  00:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info. I will try contacting the shop tomorrow for more information.
I've just read a post with a link about ideal set-up for baby's so shall I take out the useless piece of twig that the shop gave us and put in a small wicker pot thingy I have for a hid and a small cardboard box as another hide (the kind you get light bulbs in)? Let me know what you think?

Tony
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  01:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check this out.http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1451
might seem a bit crude but the snake will not be interested in astectics as long as it feels secure which is what you are aiming for.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  06:51:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What's the temp at the warm end?

How are you measuring the temps?

How are you controlling the temps?

Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  14:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there
I have put in Sid's viv an upturned phili spread pot with a small hole cut in for entrance/exit, a lempsip box again with hole cut in side and a small basket type box with a hole, didn't have a small plany pot I culd cut dowm but this is about the same size and of course the water bowl. There isn't alot of space in the viv now. I'm a little worried this might of upset him further though or am I being too sensitive? He's quite active since I did the changes and it's 2 in the afternoon.
I'm not sure how to measure the warm end correctly as the thermomter is stuck to the side of the viv in the middle. The heat mat has a themr control on it and the probe for this is attached to the heat mat. Thermometer is reading 76 degrees at the mo. The heat mat is only under half the viv.
I'm really eager to get this right as I don't want him to suffer unnecessarily.
How does our set-up sound now? What signs should I look out for as indicators that he's happy or not?

Tony
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  15:09:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you have a dial thermometer stuck half way up the viv. Dial thermometers are pretty much useless and also, you need to know the temp where the snake will be, i.e. on the substrate.

Something like: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Digital-LCD-Dual-Mode-Thermometer-Tank-Water_W0QQitemZ320430193996QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item4a9b20bd4c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

is much better, with the probe on the substrate.

You can't be over-cramped for a baby Royal, don't worry.

Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  18:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant! Thank you for all your help and advise with this.
Should I be worrying about disrupting him today as I think I woke him at 2pm and he still doesn't seem to have settled?

Tony
Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  18:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ps What about handling? Should there be no handling ubtil he's taken a feed?

Tony
Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  18:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just bought one of the thermo from link above. thanks for the advise.

Tony
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  18:26:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, it's generally advised to get at least one feed down before handling.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  20:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi tony you should get 2 thermometers 1 for the hot end and one for the cold. with hot end at 90f and cold at 80f

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Debbie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  20:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if anyone has asked you this but is the snake viv in a quiet room or one with kids/vacuum cleaners etc?
Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  21:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's in our bedroom which is quiet and we are out all day at work.
We leave the curtains pulled and blinds down so the room is dimmed.

Tony
Go to Top of Page

tony
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  23:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there
Well Sid has finally started using one of the hids I have made up for him. It took him awhile to go into one and he#s curled up nicely in there now and I can just see abit of his body sticking out through the hole.

My next question is that now hopefully I have sorted out his viv, how long should I leave it before I try offering him a feed. I think it's been almost 3 weeks since this last feed! What is the best time to feed him?

Also, and this going to sound like a really stupid question, but when changing his viv what should I do with Sid?

Tony
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000