New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

laura118
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  16:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it necessary to have a bowl big enough to let the royal soak in?
I am having a bit of trouble lowering the humidity.
I have plently of holes in the box, water is in the cool end, but its quite a big bowl.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  16:11:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not necessary I wouldn't say, some of mine like a soak, others don't.

Go to Top of Page

laura118
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  16:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would your opinion be? put a smaller water dish in or
leave it with the bigger one?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  16:13:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In a rub I'd have a small one.

Go to Top of Page

laura118
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  16:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks i will try it, and see if my humidity goes down,
i would hate him to get a RI. Should i add a moist hide instead?
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  14:14:04  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if your humidity is high, then i wouldt put a damp hide in as although, some people say it doesnt raise the humidity, i found it did. A more experienced person should be able to give you a definate answer though

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  17:28:22  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a tad off topic here but i found my royal soaking in the bowl this morning, i have never seen him do this in the 2 months ive had him. i got him when he was going into shed. should i presue he is going into shed now? and should i offer him food as he hasnt ate in about 4/ 5 days and hes normaly mooching around his viv by the forth day looking for food.
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  22:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok laura. go for smaller water bowl and no moss hide. as you may have read else where, the moss is mainly for when in shed and not every snake needs it or will use it. there other thing i would suggest is if you know any one close to you with a different digital hygrometer, to borrow it and double check, it is possible to get a faulty one . ( i have had 2 faulty ones). Are you getting condensation in the rub at all?

Heaton. Yeah I'd say could be getting ready for shed. or maybe just fancied a swim.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  13:04:21  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes to elaberate what Spore was saying is your thermometer & hygrometer digital or analogue/ needle. I had the needle/ analogue Exo Terra ones and they were 5C out on the temperature so its possible on a hygrometer that would equate to 10-15% (distance needle is out). If you have a digital one then it should be accurate and could be down to the large water bowl and moss hide. Mine has small water bowl and no moss hide and he seems fine. The humidity ranges between 48& & 57%. I see him dunking his whole head in from time to time! Is the room you keep him/her in quite humid?

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 25/10/2009 02:04:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000