Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 wondering just how important weight is???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  19:09:43  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, Boo has finished shedding now so it is time for a diet change. She is now on rat pups as I have been advised every 5 days. She has had one rat pup already (the day she shed) and took it fine, a relief as I know how hard it can be to get them from mice to rats.

Now she is due a feed tomorrow so today I picked up 9 rat pups which should last her into November (unless she has another shed, so then maybe could hit december), and then when she has finished these I am going to move her a prey size higher.

I have one rat pup defrosting now for tomorrow night but I have noticed a possible issue with the weight of the prey and was just wondering from you kind people how much of an issue it really is

Boo weighs 176g (weighed her after shed), but the rat pups range from 7g-12g, and im thinking that these weigh to less for her. They are the right size for her however. Is it worth going down to the pet shop and getting next size up (the shop dont weigh the food) or will she be ok on these.

I dont really want to be wasting these rat pups, so any advice would be most handy and most appriciated thanks a lot

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  19:26:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
At 176g Boo could take Rat Fluffs or small Weaners.

You could try feeding 2 pups at a time until you get rid of them.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  19:31:21  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks BE.
The shop didnt have any rat fluffs in stock when I went to check about two weeks ago, and they didnt have any in today either so I dont find them very reliable really.
I didnt know whether to go to rat weaners because they look quite big, weight was probably not an issue, but I think the size of them was massive compared to her.
The thing is different shops say something is a rat fluff when in another shop they call it a rat weaner so I tend to go on weight rather than what they are.
The rat pup is about the same size (in diameter) as Boo's head. I would get a picture of her next to it but she would eat it.

My mum accuses me of animal cruelty if she thinks the food looks too big for the snake. She thinks rat pups are too big, not sure why she cares, she's scared of snakes
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  19:58:44  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have just started defrosting a second rat pup for tomorrow night, so she has 2 rat pups for dinner tomorrow.
I have also sent an email to 888 reptiles asking what kind of weights their rat fluffs are. I am guessing that one of these will be fine for her every 5 days once I have got rid of the pups.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  20:13:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, at 176g (if you go with the 10-15% theory), somewhere between 15 and 25g roughly is about right.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  20:18:14  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yea cool thanks a lot, now i know Boo isnt going to keep looking at me asking for food, i feel a lot better thanks a lot
Go to Top of Page

Dragonfish66
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  21:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi just read this post so u prob got all info as to weights if u go to the a and n frozen food web site they have charts of size and weights of all mice rats and others i have used them before and are very good quality if u buy in bulk cheap to
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000