He's at it again..... I feel deflated!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  17:37:08  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Going bit out of my mind but I think I know why he's doing it...

I've been going into Chester's viv regularly for water changes etc. Lee came round (as many of you may know) and Chester even took 2 large wiener rats. He took a few days to resurface from the viv hide so I didn't wanna disturb him for a hold as it was his first feed and I wanted him to digest it fully (obviously) and know he can sleep as much as he likes after.

The feed was a week ago. Between then and couple days ago he seemed very settled. The last of couple days he knocked the thermometer probe again. The stat probe is fine as it cuts out etc and when thermometer probe was in place properly the temps were ideal.

Anyway I wanted to sort it out for him. I also noticed he was trying to fit in his small bowl and he is now "in blue". I went in very slowly and confidently and replaced the bowl yesterday for a long thin, but deep, Pyrex oven dish for now as the larger bowl i bought to replace the small bowl didn't fit & this will help him shed as he obviously wants a dunk to help with it. He let me do that swap with no fuss but didn't let me go near his hide to sort probe.

Today I thought I'd start again with thermometer probe but he was having none of it & took a very vicious strike (definately NOT a warning). He missed as I was quick enough (just) to pull my arm out. I was doing it confidently & doing everything I could correctly.

I think he did it as he was in blue and I know he cant see properly but the temp probe needs sorting... Is it just defensive as he can't see well?

BUT I'm concerned its not just that he can't see, its the fact he allows me to go near bowl to change water but won't let me near him or his hide? And just doesn't want to be handled at all

I even tried to let him come out and go in the other side and sort probe but he either saw or sensed me and thats when he struck. Again I was slow but confident so I wasn't simply making him jump!

Help, I feel like giving up. I desperately want a tame snake but everytime there is improvement and we make progress, shortly after he goes back to aggression and taking steps backwards ....

HELP!

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 30/10/2009 22:45:25

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  20:13:25  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
get some gloves and just move the probe,if he strikes at you and you dont move he might not bother again,he should settle once hes shed.When his eyes clear move the water bowl as close to the warm side as you can.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  22:19:32  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok trip to B&Q tomorrow for gloves me thinks! Thanks Lee. I'll wear my coat as well in case he strikes further up. I will sort probe & try holding again after he sheds. Shall I:

1. Feed straight after shed (wait for digestion) then hold as he maybe calmer after a feed, or

2. Go for a hold after his shed then feed?

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 30/10/2009 23:52:09
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  00:10:25  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
feed him the day after shedding then try the handling 2 days later

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  00:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
feed him after he has shed...

mine are nearly always up for a feed after two weeks or so without..

the strike probably was cos he is blue...

you could try talking to him just before you do stuff when he is in shed, at least till he gets more used to you..he knows someone is there, but whilst he is blue he cant see who or what it is or if your going to eat him...

i am sure he will be fine in time...once he is used to you, but you could always use the sock or hankie trick for a while..i did it with a corn who was not to easy to start with and she is fine now..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  00:24:45  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lee & WS. Definately sounds best to feed again first then wait couple days.

Yeah i'm sure it was due to him being in blue.

I'm running the risk of sounding really thick but what is the sock or hanky trick?

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  12:22:16  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

I'm running the risk of sounding really thick but what is the sock or hanky trick?

it's what you have been doing with your t shirt,putting it in the viv.

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  13:10:31  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh ok. Thanks, makes sense now! I did talk to him so he could be aware of my presence. Ill try what you both said and suit up when I try for next hold!

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  13:21:03  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is what i'm trying to avoid (what he did before!)

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000