Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  17:35:04  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever brought any frozen food off of 888 reptiles at all? I am asking because they sell the rat fluffs that I need for Boo, but because I have no working mobile, and the home phone has been cut off, and I can't get hold of them by email I am unable to ask them about the weight.

I need to know what the weight of their rat fluffs is approximately because with delivery its gonna cost about £10 more than the rats i get from the pet shop, so I dont want really to have underweight food arriving.

If anyone could help me out here I would be very very grateful, as Boo only has 1 rat pup left, so I need the food A.S.A.P

thanks

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  19:19:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, never bought from them, will none of the shops near you not buy any in for you?

Where do you live?

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  19:26:32  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i live in hastings, the nearest pet shop is in hastings but they go from rat pups to small rats, then the next closest one is in eastbourne but they jump the growth line as well and go straight from pups to small.

i could go down the pet shop and just buy rats making sure they are between 17g-25g???
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  19:31:46  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I havent personally ordered from 888 but if you haven't placed the order yet here is a link to other mail order sites which are cheaper (well cheaper for the bigger rats I buy), they also give an average weight for you:

http://www.frozendirect.com/shop/FROZEN-RATS/

http://www.tsmreptiles.com/frozenfood.html

I think a lot of people on here have used them and would reccomend them. Obviously the more you order the cheaper the postage will be & the more you'll save.

I haven't as yet needed to order online as I have found a cheap stockist near me. I'm going to put a bulk order in with a couple guys on here who live in the same area when they're ready to do their next one to spread post and will likely be free by the time we finish (wasn't a member when they made their last order, so missed the boat). It seems you'll need to put an order in now. But if I were you once you put this order in I'd find one or two others who live in your area and place an order together to do the same. The members map is here below. If you not added yourslef then go ahead (they don't put your actual address just a rough area, so you won't be giving away your personal details).

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=822

Hope thats ok & you sort your snake food situation out!

Ben

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 07/11/2009 19:33:33
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  19:36:28  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just looked on that tsmreptiles site and the only rats that are right for Boo are the pups but she will still need two of them, the next weight up is about 40g.
pain.....
Go to Top of Page

reptiles-ink
Yearling

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  20:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried larger food?
It's surprising the size they can manage.
Just about all of my smaller/younger snakes will take small and large weaners.
My dwarf burms are about the size of my yellow ratsnake but still easily manage an adult rat or 2.
I start my babies off on mice for a couple of months then switch to weaners.

Also TSM supply fantastic quality and very well packed.
I used to order from them all the time in bulk, the only reason I stopped using them is I struck a deal local to me.

Plenty of Retics and Burms
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  20:14:04  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Its quite normal to feed a snake 2 prey until they are big enough for the next size. I fed my corn 2 adult mice each feed and did do for ages before I moved up to wiener rats.

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  20:15:42  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
PS. 2 prey per feed to make up the weight is fine, but no more. (I've seen people feed their snakes 3 before but I wouldn't personally).

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  20:18:09  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well which of these is most important:

1. weight of food
2. length of food
3. width of food (in comparison to the girth of the largest part of the snake)

cause you guys are probably right but i dont want a fat snake
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  20:18:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you ring TSM they may be able to help, have had fluffs from them before even though they're not advertised on the site.

Have you tried asking the pet shops near you if they could get you some in?

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  20:22:53  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
scene from pet shop 1 week ago

"Hi, would like to know if you got any rat fuzzies in stock"

"No we haven't, we have rat pups or small rats"

"That's quite a size difference, my royal needs rat fuzzies as the have the ideal weight for her weight"

"weight??"

"yea 10%-15% of their body weight"

"never heard of that, we tend to feed them whatever they can manage to eat in each week"

"what thats crazy, you wanna kill them?"

"how often are you feeding?"

"every 5-7 days depending on how much in weight she has eaten"

"that's cruelty to the snake, and no we dont have any rat fuzzies"

see what I mean??
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  20:49:33  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HAHA

You should post that on a joke web site!

I would try BE suggestion and email them (I know you can't phone ) or try Dave's suggestion and try them a size up. Or if you're not comfortable doing that then 2 pups until your confident he's the right size. Or have you posted a very recent photo of him so perhaps we can suggest what we would feed if he was ours?

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  21:39:48  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have a picture of her next to my xbox 360 controller, taken about 2 weeks ago:

she is nearly 4 months old, weighs 178g (ish)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  22:29:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Should be ok with the smallest of weaners that you can find.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  22:30:48  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok thanks BE, might just take scales with me to shop so i know there and then that they are ok, i want some pocket scales but i have no idea where you can get them from
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  22:39:30  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
O.o i have just looked at spor's thread on food sizes and weights, and you say small weaner rat...ITS HUGE i know snake's can fit more in their mouths than people like but damn that is big
Boo will think she is eating a never ending mass of fur!!!
If i can get 25g ones, then 1st feed, then 7 days after that, then 6 days and finally back down to 5 days so she can get used to eating MONSTER RATS!!!!....well they are till she gets bigger.
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  22:40:14  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ebay for scales. I checked my xbox 360 controller and would say the small wieners i've had are for sure no wider. The site i gave you has fuzzies 11-25g (the frozen direct one). I would order 15 or 20 of the fuzzies and 10-15 small wieners to follow *. The wieners on there are avg. 40 g but by time he has munched way through the fuzzies he'd have shed couple times and will happily take the wieners. +edit+ * more if u have freezer space and funds.

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 07/11/2009 22:44:03
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  22:44:40  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok thanks a lot, i might try the pet shop one last time though, most likely give up then go on that site

thank you
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  22:50:05  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yer. If u root around local pet shops especially the non-brand name ones, you'll be suprised what they have. Where you live? My little aladin's cave of prey sells small mice 100-130g for £1.20 each. Online they're slightly cheaper but i'd have to buy them in huge bulk to make any real saving (postage price inflates the 90p online i've seen them for), but as said if u can get a couple other people to order with u then way to go!

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  22:52:47  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
live in Hastings, East Sussex. Not many pet places down here im afraid
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  23:55:03  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I live with girlfriend in Bristol but the store I refer to where I get my snake food cheap is at my parent's in Lyme Regis, Dorset (very remote)! Its right by a garden centre- I only found it cuz I took my mum to the garden place (she can't drive) and saw it across from the car park.

It sounds then like the online ordering is the way forward. Good luck & let us know what luck you have at the pet shop/ online.

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 07/11/2009 23:58:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000