New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yardy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  13:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my royals about 10 days ago and they have both fed twice now but I just got some electronic scales and weighed them before feeding last night. They are I think small as I have been told that they are around 2 years old, the male weighed in at 344g empty and the smaller female at 245g empty. I gave them each a medium mouse (think they were on small before I got them) which weighed in at 22g each. From the info that I have picked up here the food size is right for the female but a bit small for the male. I think they agreed as she was happy with one but he wanted more. Thing is I want to build her up and not get him too far ahead of her. They are both feeding well at the mo but I understand that the female went through a bad period a while ago. Should I just give him bigger food and hope that he doesn't get too much too big? They co-habit and I don't want the size difference to get any more than it is. Advice please from anyone with experience of this situation.

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  13:55:07  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
try getting them on rats rather than mice, they have more nutrition in than mice, and you should see after a couple of feeds that they weight of the snake increasing more than if they were eating mice.
you could try small weaner rats for the female as they can be as little as 25g in weight, the male you could try large weaners as they can average from 40g+

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  13:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this has been mentioned before on a different thread, but why do you have two royals of oposite sexes co habiting at such a young age/small size?
Go to Top of Page

yardy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  17:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

Sorry if this has been mentioned before on a different thread, but why do you have two royals of oposite sexes co habiting at such a young age/small size?

They arrived like that with their viv, seem to be happy and I didn't want to strees them out by moving them into separate accomodation. There obviously isn't any cause to worry about hanky panky at their tender age but I will have to reconsider the whole situation at some point next year when they are older. They feed outside the viv so I didn't think there were any issues with them sharing a home.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  18:56:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A male can be sexually active from 6 months, the female will not be ready physically to carry eggs though if he does mate with her, which could lead to her becoming egg-bound which will either lead to an operation/expensive vet bill or her death. Keep them together at their risk, your choice but you have the facts now.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  02:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 years old you say? Yeah, that's mighty tiny for that age. I have a 2 year old that is 1200 grams.

Yeah, better to go ahead and start them on rats. Much more substantial. Go with a 5-7 day feeding schedule. If they refuse the rats (as they are sometimes finicky with changing food) then keep to the mouse and just up the size according to their growth.

So, they're together and you're saying they're happy so you're just gonna leave them together... I say, for them to be less than half the size of my royal, I doubt they're very happy. Might wanna rethink that. It's not too expensive to separate the two. You can put them in separate RUBs for now until you get a permanent enclosure. But then, this is just my opinion on the matter backed by only a little over a year of pet royal ownership.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 13/11/2009 02:14:26
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  08:36:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Anatess.

Go to Top of Page

yardy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  13:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

A male can be sexually active from 6 months, the female will not be ready physically to carry eggs though if he does mate with her, which could lead to her becoming egg-bound which will either lead to an operation/expensive vet bill or her death. Keep them together at their risk, your choice but you have the facts now.

Had no idea that a male could be active that young and I will certainly take your advice on board. It's nothing to do with expense I just wanted to change as little as possible from their previous life bacause they arrived feeding and I wanted to keep them like that. I obviously don't really know everything that has happened to them in the past and I don't have any absolute measure of their age-I'm not even 100% sure of the sexes- but I've got them now and they are feeding steadily. Next week I will see what size rat pups I can get and work from there. There is no sign of any sexual activity and I will watch out for that as a possibility now that I am aware it could happen but I will split them up anyway when they have settled in a bit more.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  16:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yardy There is no sign of any sexual activity and I will watch out for that as a possibility now that I am aware it could happen but I will split them up anyway when they have settled in a bit more.

You would probably never see it happen anyway, they aren`t known for doing it in public seriously you need to seperate them asap.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

yardy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  17:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

quote:
Originally posted by yardy There is no sign of any sexual activity and I will watch out for that as a possibility now that I am aware it could happen but I will split them up anyway when they have settled in a bit more.

You would probably never see it happen anyway, they aren`t known for doing it in public seriously you need to seperate them asap.

Will do when they have finished digesting this week's meal.
Go to Top of Page

yardy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  17:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Will do when they have finished digesting this week's meal.
[/quote]

P.S. They feed apart anyway so I can just put them in separate homes aftter i feed them next week-looks like the least stressfull way of doing things.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000