URGENT !!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weecw1984
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  19:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been treating my ball python for mites using a small amount of frontline on the scales keeping it away from the head as instructed by my vet

But...
My python now is not moving his head or body or responding to being touched but is still breathing ???

Any sugestions please

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  19:49:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Get it to a Rep Vet asap.

Were you using the spray of the drops?

The drops need diluting a lot prior to use as they are very concentrated.

Go to Top of Page

weecw1984
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  19:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The spray form using swabs
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  19:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unusual for a vet to reccomend frontline isn't it? i thought vets tended to say no as it's only been "tested" on cats/dogs?
I would normally ask if you could give us full details of age/ weight/set up/ temps/feeding etc however in this case I am inclined to tell you to get it to a vets. now. sorry I can't be much more help :( hope the wee one is okay :'(
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  19:53:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The spray should be ok really, although as MC says, its not been tested properly for reps.

The only other thing I can think of from the info you have given is that the mites have done too much harm before you got them.

Go to Top of Page

weecw1984
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  19:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hes only about 2 months
60g
temps up at 80

i jst dnt understand why can it be breathing and not moving ?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  20:19:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
80? - He's probably self brumating. Get the temp in the hot end up to 90.

Go to Top of Page

weecw1984
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  20:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ive got a spare ceramic bulb ill get that pluged into a thermostat ive got him sitting on a hot watter bottle jst now wrapped in a towel and he has started to move slightly
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  20:36:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/royal_python_care_sheet.htm

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  21:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
low temps could be causing the lack of movement. also did the vet also reccomend removing the normal water bowl and replacing it with a small one that your snake can not fit in. as the frontline could get in to the water and be ingested by your snake.
how bad does the mites infestation appear. does it look bad enough to have caused so much damage? has your snake been feeding?
Where did you get your snake from is it captive breed or farmed?
regardless i think back to vets for a full assessment even if it does turn out to be that you have your temps to low.
good luck.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

weecw1984
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  22:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the mites are on the underside of the python mainly and some on the sides
it is only a small waterdish in the viv that he cnt fit in
ive only had him for 1 week now got him from a reptile store (cb09)
im going to contact the vets first thing
like i said there is some slight movements now hes heating up but not as much as there should be
I havent got him to eat as yet but the pet shop said he ate on the wednesday before we got him
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  22:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
snake will normally go of there food when they are heavily infested or being treated for mites. have you taken any pictures already that you could post up.? do you have him in a viv or rub? what size.? When i was treating my rescue for mights and dehydration he did sit for long periods with out moving.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

weecw1984
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  14:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try and upload some pics when i get home from work

He is in a 12'' x 8'' x 12'' glass viv at the moment from what ive read about pythons they dont like alot of open space

Things are looking better this morning with him he is moving around now when u pick him up i think the ceramic bulb has done the trick to heat him up, but... im still keeping a very close eye on him i know hes not 100% jst yet ill keep treating him and offering him food once a week and taking him back to the vets for a check up later this wk
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  18:51:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How are you getting a temperature gradient in a 1' viv with a ceramic bulb?

If its glass then I'd cover 3 of the sides as like you said, they don't like open spaces.

If he's not well and not eating, try not to handle unless you have to.

Go to Top of Page

weecw1984
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  19:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
using a thermostat with the ceramic bulb and the bulb is in an external exo terra holder with the clap attachment and cage guard
i am also using a small heat mat on the underside of the tank
since ive got her temp up to 85 now he is moving around alot better he is coming in and out of his hide and back and forth from the hot end to the cool end
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  20:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like he is warming up a little and feeling better as a result I hope you get rid of the mites quickly as that will help him get back on his feet so to speak :)

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  23:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I 2nd what BE said. cover three of the side so there is only one veiwing plain. this will reduce stress.Also handle as little as possible at this stage. I would reccomend only when applying treatment and bathing. What is the temp of your cool side? As also questioned by BE i can't see how you good be getting a good gradient over 1ft? How are you reading temps and where from?

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

weecw1984
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  10:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am checking the temps using a digital thermometer at the hot end and a standard thermometer stuck inside at the cool end

I have got the back of the viv covered and now covered the other 2 sides jst now using some cardboard its only the front of the viv he can see out of and he spends most of the day in his hide not until night time i see him out and about

the hot end is registering at 30 - 32 and the cool end is registering at 22 - 23

I am only handling him once a day when he is getting his treatment for the mites and his tank disinfected and fresh paper put down etc..
im not sure if i should offer him food on friday or not, most of the bumps on his sides from the mites are away it jst seems to be on his underside now that he has mites on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000