my new royal set up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mossy89
Snake Mite

25 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  17:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok im new to reptiles been keeping and breeding tropical fish now since i was 16 (im 20 now) . my viv is 30"x24"x24" id like to get a royal python, ive done alot of reading and was lerking aroud the forum for a while trying to build my knowledge and thought id join today
so what i want to know is am i on the right track shopping list so far is .. 2 hides not too big as i plan on getting a hatchling . one water dish one heat mat ( not to sure on size help?) for the sub a was planning on using eco earth? or bark but i like the looks of eco earth and thought it would help with humidity . and some moss (for the hot hide ) few plastic plants and a log or 2 . have already got a digital thermostat and a stick on humidity thing and thermometer

thanks for any help and advice in advance. joe

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  17:35:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Make sure your thermometer is a digital one, the dial ones are next to useless, you can pick them up on ebay for a couple of pounds.

A 30" viv is a bit too big for a hatchling Royal, personally I'd put a partition down the middle and just move the partition as the snake grows.

Royals don't need additional humidity, room humidity in the UK (50-60%) should be fine. Most people use Aspen or Newspaper, I use Aubiose which is very similar to Aspen, but half the price.

Go to Top of Page

mossy89
Snake Mite

25 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  21:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey thanks for your help yeah i think i will half the size of the viv for it whiles its young
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  21:30:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No probs, this is the friendliest forum around, so feel free to ask away.

A lot of people use RUBs for hatchlings, but as you already have the viv you might as well use it . Is it wooden or glass?

Go to Top of Page

mossy89
Snake Mite

25 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  22:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its wood :) yes so i see and a good thing too no doubt i'll have a few more Qs as time goes on :)oh speaking of which is it a good idea to have moss in the hot hide ? and is heat mat best or ceramic heat lamp or is it a personal thing ? thanks
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  23:12:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I only have a moss hide in while the snake is in shed as it increases humidity and I would have it at the cool end.

Heat mats are fine while young, but there are problems with heavier bodied snakes with heat mats so when the snake is using the full viv I'd move to a Ceramic or IR bulb.

Go to Top of Page

mossy89
Snake Mite

25 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  23:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah oh fair enough . problems with adult snakes and heat mats why is this ?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  00:59:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The heavy body on the heat source can cause thermal blocking and lead to burns, even when statted.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000