New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbsmog
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  04:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, sorry guys but I did warn you I'd have loads of q's !!

Firstly a couple of q's about hides; I've got 2 hides for Ba'al when he arrives (one for warm end & one for cool) but should I get one for the middle too, I know they like plenty of hidey holes? Also, I've got his moss hide too (tub with half a lid & moss to dampen and go in it). Should the moss hide be in the faun all the time or just when he goes into blue?

Next q; The Rep shop (whi have been A1 I have to say) has told me to definitely feed him in his faun/viv. This is because of the fussy eating problem. They've said that to take him out and feed him in a RUB would stress him and put him off his grub. I don't mind doing this because I'm going to use kitchen roll as substrate while he's still young so ingesting it isn't an issue, BUT on the caresheet here it says to feed the Royal outside the viv (as I do with my Corns so it's something I'm used to doing). I'm willing to do either to keep him happy and up his chances of being a good feeder but I'd like to know your thoughts on which works best for you & yours.

One last q for now; Should his water bowl go in the warm or cool end? I know it's the cool end for Corns but unsure for Royals. (Humidity issues and all that).

Thanks all xx

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles) 1.0.0 Royal Python (Ba'al), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

bbsmog
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  04:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meant to say Sorry I'm sure these issues have been covered here a million times before but the search function turns up so many answers I didn't know where to start! So; sorry again for being lazy xx

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles) 1.0.0 Royal Python (Ba'al), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  10:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there will try your Qs im dave in essex ref your hides sounds ok one at each end i keep my large water bowl in the middle of a 3 ft viv,ref feeding i don't strike feed myself Bones my female comes out of her viv and into her rub where the warmed food is and takes them out of a ceramic bowl and then returnes with little guide from me.I try not to touch her after food seems to be working at the mo Fingers X.Hope this helps.By for now.XX.
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  10:04:11  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbsmog

Okay, sorry guys but I did warn you I'd have loads of q's !!

Firstly a couple of q's about hides; I've got 2 hides for Ba'al when he arrives (one for warm end & one for cool) but should I get one for the middle too, I know they like plenty of hidey holes? Also, I've got his moss hide too (tub with half a lid & moss to dampen and go in it). Should the moss hide be in the faun all the time or just when he goes into blue?

Next q; The Rep shop (whi have been A1 I have to say) has told me to definitely feed him in his faun/viv. This is because of the fussy eating problem. They've said that to take him out and feed him in a RUB would stress him and put him off his grub. I don't mind doing this because I'm going to use kitchen roll as substrate while he's still young so ingesting it isn't an issue, BUT on the caresheet here it says to feed the Royal outside the viv (as I do with my Corns so it's something I'm used to doing). I'm willing to do either to keep him happy and up his chances of being a good feeder but I'd like to know your thoughts on which works best for you & yours.

One last q for now; Should his water bowl go in the warm or cool end? I know it's the cool end for Corns but unsure for Royals. (Humidity issues and all that).

Thanks all xx

Ask away! Plenty of friendly people on here to help.Your questions are perfectly sensible and the same as I had when I first got my royal. Re the moss hide, its a preference thing, some people leave them in all the time and won't do any harm at all, whereas others put them in during shed (me included). Two hides is a essential, one hot and one cold and a one in the middle would be even better for him. Is it a baby royal you are getting? what size viv are you planning on keeping it in?

Feeding in and out of the viv is another personal choice with advantages and disadvantages both for and against. The main concern is digesting substrate. If you are using kitchen roll then there is no real need to feed outside of viv, maybe you could start him off and get him feeding in the viv and then after a few feeds try feeding him outside and see how he goes.

I have my water bowl at cool end as royals don't require humidity above normal room humidity. See what others think.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  12:12:34  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
with my royal i fed IN the viv as he was a fussy feeder initially, and i currently feed all my boas IN their vivs too as it's less stressful for them (the poor feeders) and with paper substrate the risk of ingestion is minimized.

for hides it really depends on the size of the viv and how much open space there is, if there's room for another i'd probably put another in (for a royal) or at least some decor to fill the gap.

and water bowl in the cool end

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  12:14:04  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 337smile

The main concern is digesting substrate.

my main concern if they ingested substrate would be them NOT being able to digest it........

Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  14:18:22  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by 337smile

The main concern is digesting substrate.

my main concern if they ingested substrate would be them NOT being able to digest it........

good spot
Go to Top of Page

Eazi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  16:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Eazi's Homepage  Click to see Eazi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have watched Dixie while she swallows her food and she doesn't seem to take any substrate (Aspen) am I generally safe as she seems quite careful?

0.0.1 09 Hognose (Cesc)
0.0.1 09 Royal (Dixie)
1.0.0 Siberian Husky (Nanook)
1.3.0 Cooking Fats
Go to Top of Page

bbsmog
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  21:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies.

I had originally bought him the flat exo-terra (medium) faun but when I was calibrating temps I found that it wouldn't reach appropriate temp in the warm end. So I hooked out Sadies RUB that's been empty since I got her into her exo-terra. I'm putting him in there for three reasons:
1) It retains heat better, warm end wise (it's holding nicely at 32.3 and I couldn't get the exo-terras above 30.1) whilst not being too hot in the cool end.
2) It's marginally smaller that the exo-terra so a bit more snug for the lil' guy.
3) It's very slightly opaque instead of crystal clear (as the exo terras are) and affords him a bit more privacy which I know Royals like.

I think I'm going to get a third coconut hide for the middle of the RUB and alternate it with the moss hide only during shedding.

I still don't know what to do about feeding IN or OUT. I think I shall probably feed in because that's what he's used to at the rep store and I don't want to freak him out by changing too much of his routine. I'd be happier to feed him in an external RUB but I know it's not about me. Nevertheless I may wait a month or two till he's settled and then try feeding him outside...will play it by ear.

Thanks again all for your speedy and seriously helpful replies xx

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  12:11:08  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eazi

I have watched Dixie while she swallows her food and she doesn't seem to take any substrate (Aspen) am I generally safe as she seems quite careful?

you've got to wonder what you could actually do about it if some substrate DID go down with the food? although Aspen shouldn't be a huge problem.....

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  19:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feed in the viv with all my royals and although I have seen them get aspen in their mouth though not often they seem to manage to rub it off after the feed

Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  19:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have any figures about snake numbers who have actually had serious problems with impaction? Im thinking of my wee hognose here, they dig around in the ground for wee frogs etc in the wild, surely they must be constantly eating bits of wood/grit/whatever the hell the frogs are buried in? They cant be dying with every meal...youd never find a snake over a year old in the wild if they were.....

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  19:52:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure anyone follows wild snakes around counting the ones that die

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000