from mice to rats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:16:46  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
been attempting to get boo back onto rats again and like last time not working and tried all the methods apart from force feeding cause i wont. With the mice she eats, after she has finished the first one I pop the second one in her mouth and she carries on swallowing.

could I do this but instead of doing mouse followed by mouse, could i do mouse followed by rat of equal weight and size, so small mouse followed by rat fuzzy.

i'm not sure if this will eventually lead to her eating rats without the mouse assisstance though

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes this will work, in the shop we have a juvenille burmese and we start him off on a rat and then pop a rabbit in behind him.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Monty)
1.0.0 Western hognose(Fredo)
0.1.0 false water cobra(Suzy)
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:29:40  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im just wondering because after a bit i will try boo on a rat without the mouse. But without the mouse there to encourage Boo to eat, will she turn her nose up at it, or will she learn to go without the mouse after a bit
Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well my royal only ate mice when i had him and now he is banging rats away all the time. no she will get used to the taste of them.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:35:14  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good good, thanks a lot, I have a rat fuzzy in the tank at the moment, keeping an eye on her to see if she will eat it. Im not putting hopes up, and if she doesnt then I will try the mouse and rat method.

Thanks a lot, also can you tell me quickly in your reptile shop do you have Pine Snakes for sale?
Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keep moving the rat aswel mind to immitate life in the rat. no we dont have pine snakes we only do boas, corns, pythons, some rear fanged snakes and now and again some big snakes.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:42:20  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ah ok it just im buying one soon trying to get some info. But I have found out that a 3ft pine snake is probably an 08 born in about june/july, so im guessing the one i am buying is 1.5 years old.

Anyway thats for the help, after tonight will see if i need to change feeding methods

thanking you
Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ye pine snake are nice looking snakes, i dont know anything about them really (never had the pleasure of meeting one) i would take a look at their temprament to see what they r like, good luck with that. how are you feeding your snake at the moment?

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:48:09  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
at the moment the rat fuzzy is sitting under the light but not too near getting nice and warm, Boo is in her hide, hasnt even come out to say hello to it. She should come out soon because she will smell it, but to be honest I doubt she will eat it.

Its strange because she strike feeds but if i move it around or raise it above ground level for her she wont touch it, it has to be laying there, she strikes at it anyway.

She is fine when a mouse is in her tank, she doesnt give it two thoughts, just rats. She was on rats before my mum went and put a mouse in her viv and now we are back to square one with a very ignorant refusing-to-budge royal
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:49:03  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and the pine snake at the shop has got a good temperment, just likes to hiss at everyone
Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they can be very finicky eaters its their way or the highway lol wat i do is when the snake is in the hide just pop the rats head around the corner of it to alert the snake to its presence and try to draw the snake out, try to refrain from touching her tho because she will probably be in feeding mode and might have a go at you, then just drag the rat by the tail and hopefuly she may go for it.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:56:12  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i tried that once she did come out of her hide followed it, then looked up saw my hand turned around as went back home, no food for her that night. I dont think it the way she fed thats a prob although making the mouse seem alive is much more fun i think it just the fact she got the addiction for mice and wont have rats.
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:58:41  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
although once or twice i have found that if i pop the head of the mouse in the hide and go away she will take it and drag it into her hide. She might feel safer eating in the dark and all alone.
The only problem with that is i cant see if any of the wood chippings (substrate) are being stuck onto the mouse and ingested. To be honest i doubt it has because the mice are dry not wet (she hates wet food or slightly wet fur )
Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  17:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ye just keep an eye on her if you can prevent ingestion of substrate do it but otherwise it will get digested with all the rest of it but could in some cases cause damage on the inside but ive never heard of it.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  17:18:28  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cool thank you, will let you know if the feed was a success or more likely another failure
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  17:33:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You could put it on a bit of kitchen towel to minimise the chance of ingestion and impaction, or feed in a separate RUB with just a hide and no substrate.

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  17:54:50  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that will definitly put my mind at rest, sure I will move her to her RUB that i put her i when i clean her out
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have just transitioned my two 6 month old royals on to rats and had no problems, they had a diet of mice whilst hatchlings until the mice were too small, I left them for 5 days until their next feed and they took rat weaners without a problem and now they are taking them regularly, if everything else in their world is right and that's the important part (peace quiet and security) they will usually move to rats and feed regularly without a problem, you just have to be patient and 'get inside their heads' :)

Edited by - Robert on 11/01/2010 22:44:29
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:51:01  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Boo was on mice when I first got her, and was advised by people on this forum to get her onto rats as they were better for her. She also changed to rats quite quickly, no problem at all she didnt even think about what she was eating.
But every since my mum accidentally put a mouse in the viv instead of a rat, Boo has decided that this is what she wants and nothing is going to change her mind.
I am going to try the method that I mentioned in this thread. If it gets some rats in her thats good enough for me. She doesn't not feed, she just only eats mice at the moment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000