Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  14:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading up about feeding and watched a few people feeding online and noticed that a lot of people feed there snake outside the tank in a different box. But I was wondering if you do this, how do you get the snake back into the tank afterwards I know your not meant too handle the snake after feeding and will you not stress the snake out by lifting the box up and pouring him back into the tank?

Thanks for any advice offered.

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  15:16:12  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i feed all my corns in a rub and when they have finished i just hold the rub upto the viv and let the snake go back in its self. i will be doing this with my royal as well when she is abit more used to me and feeding out the viv.. hope this helps..
Go to Top of Page

paulo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  15:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reponse.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  15:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pick mine up from the tail and then around a 3rd down from the head. Placing them back in the viv isnt really a problem, the rule against handling them is just there to stop people over handling them.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  16:30:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, its fine to move them carefully, just be careful as obviously they are in feeding mode and you don't want them to think your fingers look like a nice snack.

Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  02:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
because i work in a reptile shop sometimes we have to handle the snakes within 1/2 hr of feeding and all we do is hold them head and tail and they just slither through your hands, aslong as you dont go fiddling with the mouse/rat then the snake wont mind you holding him/her

1.0.0 Royal Python (Monty)
1.0.0 Western hognose(Fredo)
0.1.0 false water cobra(Suzy)
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:50:18  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always feed mine in their fauns/viv as it avoids having to disturb them after a feed

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  00:05:34  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would say its better to feed in seperate RUB.

Can't remember who on this site but a wize member once said:

"After a meal you wouldn't want to run a marathon, but you wouldn't mind walking to the sofa to relax"! Basically just be careful and gentle. Or try slowly tilting the RUB or box towards the opening of the viv and snakey should go back inside.

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  08:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer to feed in the viv, the only convincing reason I've heard for feeding outside it is to avoid possible substrate ingestion.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  11:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my royal wont feed outside of his viv ive tried him in a rub and he acts afraid of the rat lol

1.0.0 Royal Python (Monty)
1.0.0 Western hognose(Fredo)
0.1.0 false water cobra(Suzy)
Go to Top of Page

snakey20
Snake Mite

34 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  14:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if your goin to feedin the viv put dwn a bit of kitchen roll to stop the substrate attaching to the food

1.0.0 royal(eddie)
1.0.0 hognose (tocalosh)
1.0.0 corn (larry)
0.1.0 jack russle (jack)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000