Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:07:51  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi i have had my python for a week now and want to start getting her out tomorrow. but when i change her water or look for mess in her viv she has a hisssss at me and looks as if she is going to strike at me i dont know if she would... am i best to leave her for abit longer or could this make things worse in the long run and i would be best to get her out for 5 mins.. i dont really know her and and just need to build abit of trust and show her i wont hurt her. what do you think i should do?? i dont want to stress her out...

Brent09
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she hisses at you just show her you're not afraid and scoop her up, don't come from above her though.
When you lift her, don't keep her out for ages, just a few minutes so she can start to understand you're not a threat.
Do that every so often and she should start to calm down a bit. :D
Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:21:23  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok thanks i will give that ago tomorrow. do you know if its a bad bite from a royal??
Go to Top of Page

Brent09
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah try it every couple of days then gradually build it up.
They can give a decent bite yeah, mostly depending on their size and obviously power, but power comes with size although I'm pretty sure it's not life threatening. :)
Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:49:17  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
she is about 3 1/2 years old. the guy that i got her from told me she is a very good snake and has been around kids. i dont think i will let my kids hold her for some time yet untill i know i can trust her..

Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  00:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup mine was exactly the same when i first had him and i just thought its going to be now or never if he bites me and he just hissed at me and when i picked him up i was all of a sudden his best friend now he curls around my neck and puts his head up on the bridge of my nose and watches tv with me lol

1.0.0 Royal Python (Monty)
1.0.0 Western hognose(Fredo)
0.1.0 false water cobra(Suzy)
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  08:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Brent09, if she gets to thinking that hissing makes you leave her alone she'll continue to do it. You could try wearing gloves at first if it makes you feel better.

Here's a thread on the Dark Side by a guy who got bitten by a 10 foot boa which weighs about 30kg. Bear in mind that this a very large snake, and that boas hit hard when they strike. Obviously your royal's bite would be proportionately smaller. The bite is just visible in the second pic, so it looks like all three were taken post-chomp. You can see how scared he looks!

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/438020-got-nailed-allys-10-foot.html

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather

Edited by - chris100575 on 06/01/2010 08:53:44
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  09:00:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, it doesn't hurt much, more shock then pain.

Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BE is right ive had a worse bite from my gerbil. as for wearing gloves dont get in the routine of wearing them because you will never take them off whilst handling.

Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:44:16  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i dont want to start wearing gloves thats not the way to go i dont want my kids asking why i am wearing them and putting them of her. i think i will do it when the kids are in bed tonight cause if she dose bite i really dont want them to see it as it could put them off the corns as well witch they both love and love holding..thanks alot for your help guys and i will let you know how i get on tonight getting her out. i bet she comes out with no problem and its just me being a big wimp...
Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honestly now a 3 1/2 yr old python wont hurt much like BE said its just the shock and quickness of the snake that put people off.

Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  12:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive only wore gloves for on creature and thats a blue tounged skink because when his tail fell off from moving from one shop to another shop he got stressed and his tail popped off and i had to put treatment cream on it and i wore welding gloves and he bit me, i couldnt feel any teeth just the power of his jaws and boy oh boy did it hurt other than that it has always been bare hands.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  12:44:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the rodent bite, I'd rather have 10 Royal bites than one hamster one!

Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  12:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh yes at least royals let go lol

Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  13:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you got any pics of her??

Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  17:19:19  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes i have pics of me holding her just before i put her in the viv for the week..

this is one of them
Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  17:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yay well done, she is gorgeous aint she, well she looks happy enough well done

Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  19:22:21  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats a old pic when i first got her and took it just before i put her in the viv for the week... i will try and get her out in a bit. she is out and about in the viv at the moment so hopping she will be ok...
Go to Top of Page

james200789
Yearling

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  19:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh ok lol ye go for it, more often than not the hissing is just a show and as soon as you touch them they will back off and trust you

Go to Top of Page

bilbo
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  21:11:45  Show Profile  Visit bilbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have done it lol feels so much better and there was no hisssssing. she was in a ball all the time in my hands but its a start hope she gets used to me soon and starts coming out of her shell abit... i am very happy it went well and put my mind at rest as well... will give her a week of coming out and then get her weighed to find out how she is coming on...

thanks so much for all your help guys it really did help....

will sort out some more pics soon...
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  21:20:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well done

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000