New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reikiangel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  19:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am looking for some advise on getting rid of mites please. have had a look at the sticky about getting rid of mites with front line but was wondering if that was the only option? also does anyone know more about the mites themselves? can they infect my cats and what about me when im hadling her, do they bite or infest in the carpets? sorry im not very educated about these pesky little buggers. thank you!!!

reikiangel 30 kent

0.1.0 royal python (arabella)
1.1.0 cats (elle and merlin)
0.0.2 giant african land snails (spongebob and gary)

reikiangel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  19:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right, ive just had a good read on several diffrent sites about mites and found that alot of people are against the treating of mites with frontline as it can be a bit harsh? i know not everyone will feel this way and probably treat their snakes with this and have no problems. i would rather do it a bit more natuarly if poss and have found an artical about killing the mites with olive oil. this lady recons that i really does work well so id like to give it a go but would still apreciate any help. thank you.

reikiangel 30 kent

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  20:46:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you go to www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum there are more suggestions in the Health section, including using oil.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  20:49:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Having said that, I'm pro-Frontline personally. Ardap is another alternative.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  21:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, you don't ned to worry about them on cats and dogs I have never read anything that suggests they feed on mammals, you could use hypoaspis mites as they are a natural predator I have successfully treated both a corn and a royal using them, see the health section. whatever method you use I hope you are successful and they are soon gone, if you have any other reptiles in the house keep the affected snake away from them and ensure you keep everything scrupulously clean to avoid any transference.

Edited by - Robert on 01/03/2010 17:04:30
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Hatchling

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  22:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The oil method worked really well for me, hence why I wrote the thread on it.

But then the second time there was an outbreak I used Frontline, worked a treat.

1.0.0 Royal python- Diego
1.0.0 Ghost corn- Casper
0.1.0 Amel corn- Mushu
1.0.0 Miami corn- Crockett
3.0.0 Cats- Dave, Bodget and Scrumpy
0.9.0 Chickens- Mrs Featherstone, Stumpy, Lucky, Suzie Speckles, Daisy, Snowdrop, Duracell, Marilyn and Maureen
1.2.0 Border terriers- Milly, Mo and Harry
and about 40,000 honey bees.
Go to Top of Page

reikiangel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  22:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats great, thanks guys. i am going to give the oil a go first and see how i get on. i shall let you know.

reikiangel 30 kent

Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  23:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
best of luck!

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  18:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dreaded getting mites, but it wern't as bad as expected when it happened. I used beaphar insect spray worked brilliantly and the blighters haven't been back since. If the oil doesn't work for you I highly recommend.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 28/02/2010 18:47:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000