Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

baldyman666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  00:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi , this is baldyman, posted a few times here in the past. just need to share my grief with fellow humans that have a love for royals. Our 2 year old royal 'stardust' has escaped her viv in the last 48 hours. it was left unlocked after an evening water change and not noticed until the next day... and the window was open!
Im writing here really because i needed to share my pain with people that may understand this awful feeling.
i'm beside myself after looking under every nook and cranny in the house (i think i know she went out the window, i have checked every hotspot around the house) but we are rural living around woods , trees , and countryside)
The missus is too gutted to approach, she looked after stardust, fed her , cleaned her viv , daily watered and misted whilst i was away in afghanistan for 8 months last year , and made a connection with her, a companion if you will, whilst i was away.
sorry for the depressing news, but i had to share, thanks to all that listen
We have to tell the kids tommorow.....................

STARDUST : BORN : 10 JUL 2008 : MIA

'we will remember you'

STARDUST
DOB: 10 jul 08

Edited by - baldyman666 on 04/04/2010 01:04:10

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  12:51:12  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
why dont you set up a warm hide with a feed to try and tempt her in case she is hiding are you sure she went out window as yesterday was cold well depends where u live as i dont think she would leave a warm house to go out side some where cold and unfamilar ! dont give up hope ! good luck we are thinkin of you ! x x x

Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  13:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont lose hope, the chances of her going outside are VERY slim, especially with the weather, as mischang said. I found my 12gram hognose that had escaped and hes about 6 inches long! Get a warm spot set up on the floor (even make a few) with some water nearby, and some things from her viv (so she recognises the smell) and some hides. Youll be surprised :-)

Let us know how you get on and remember that they can go a long time without food etc so the chances of her turning up are quite high!!

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  14:07:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My money's on you finding it in the house somewhere nice and warm.

Go to Top of Page

baldyman666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  14:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for all the support.... really , and also for the hope x x x
we told the kids today, mitchell (12) just broke down.

right, i have got myself together , we destroyed the shed today to see if she was there , that really was the only hot spot or heat source we could really find away from the house.
tonight we are going to put vivs down on the floor tonight.... one upstairs, one downstairs, x2 3ft vivs with hides and water and a mouse

our only snag is , one dog that lives downstairs, and the upstairs kingdom is ruled by a cat!

i know what you are saying about the window , but the viv was downstairs right next to the living room window that was open, it literally would have been out and through.

but we are not giving up hope , as you say - it was cold that day

we are going to check the cupboard under the stairs next .

i know males can physically see a heat source - can females ?, im brewing up ideas!!!!

STARDUST

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  15:01:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they all have heat pits, put some mice down on the floor under a hide, see if any disappear.

You can put flour on the floor around the edge of the room to see if its disturbed overnight.

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  18:54:12  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh i dont know if u have thought of this but if i was you just for a few days or till you cal the search off i would at night when u go sleep but kitty in a basket on top of a wardrobe or some thing and have the dog in with you reason been you dont want to end up with a half eaten snake or a straggled kitty etc... if she is stressed she may be very scared and strike at some thing which in turn could stsrt off a rolling snowball effect ............ check behind t.v , fridge and in toy boxes !! or under the bath .

Go to Top of Page

baldyman666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  23:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have put the vivs down on the floor both downstairs and up,(lamps on,heater mats on, glass open, with water just outside the entrance to vivs
outside where i think she went , along the wall in the grass (as from what i have heard if she is outside she won't be far from the house) i have put on a flat piece of wood a heater mat and one of her hides with scent all over it. Just inside the viv ON the heater mat is a rat nicley thawing , hopefully now a bit smelly)

there is an enormous amount of cats out there though - really worried

we have upturned the house , ripped out all insides of sofas, turned the boiler inside out and have checked under the fridge and oven (we checked before using the oven for tonights meal, that would have been unthinkable otherwise)

i believe it was i that left the key and lock off, she was able to slide the glass open herself - cant stop thinking about it. The guilt is terrible, but im a big boy and will deal with it.

thanx for all the updates,

am going to try the flour too, we have had her for two years now and i have studied how she moves around the house when let out of the viv. she hugs all the walls so am going to flour the kitchen.

we have a huge heat signal in the plasma tv in the front room, were hoping that she is going to go for that some night, we have a milksnake that seems to watch t.v at night , but i know that it is the heat that he can see.

i fell that we are at this point,

1)if she is outside , she is royally screwed
2)if she is in the house , we have a great chance of finding her one day , there is a million heat sources around the house
3)if she went out but found a way back in again then we have a good chance too

how hard is it to find a 4ft snake AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

STARDUST

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  01:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wishing you the best of luck with your search.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  18:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck mate... I remeber reading somewhere that most snakes are found within 10ft of there viv's.

Both my escapees were...

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  22:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am sure she will be close and in the house where it is warm, fingers crossed for you

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  12:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did exactly the same with my royal once and she turned up under a bookcase about five feet from her viv. Hope you find her.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  14:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when my mbk got out he was only 18 inches long and the width of a skinny pencil. He was found behind the tv curled around the amp power cable. He'll turn up. Do you have any partitions hiding hot pipes close by?

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  20:22:30  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no news is good news !! i hope x x

Go to Top of Page

baldyman666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  11:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CLOSURE

I regret to say we have found her.
i'm not going into details because you are all royal lovers and i find it so distressing that i find this hard to write, fingers trembling .

but i needed to post because lessons can be learnt from all situations .

IF anyone in the uk (or colder climate countrys) loses their snake and has a downstairs oven/cooker then please please please ... (even if it looks impossible for a snake of ANY size to get in).. please please get a screwdriver and get to the back of the oven and completely disassemble it. Ours had just one tiny hole in it .... that was enough to devastate a family.

thank you for all your support through this

rip stardust , god rest your soul.

STARDUST

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  11:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:( Really sorry to hear that fella.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Lettsy1
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  15:19:38  Show Profile  Click to see Lettsy1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
omg so sorry hun. x

1.1.0 Royal (Dash,Sheba & Ditto)
1.1.0 Western Hognose (Frank & Grace)
0.0.1 Snow Corn (Ghost)
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
our though are with and your children am so sorry to hear your bad news !! x x

Go to Top of Page

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  17:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww dude that's terrible to hear :-( I'm so sorry for your loss.

R.I.P. Stardust

Edited by - milvstrana on 17/04/2010 17:34:21
Go to Top of Page

reikiangel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  19:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im so sorry

reikiangel 30 kent

0.1.0 royal python (arabella)
1.1.0 cats (elle and merlin)
0.0.2 giant african land snails (spongebob and gary)
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  21:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thoughts are with you. so sorry for you all.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: