Couple of quickies regarding feeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  12:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it best to feed in seprate rub or in her viv as ive noticed there is conflicting post's on where to feed, im used to feeding my corn snake in his viv as he is not a striker and tends to circle his meal several times before eating it so ive not had this problem to deal with before.
My main concearn is our royal will get aggressive if we feed her in her viv and learn to associate that we put our hands in she gets fed.
Also which is better to feed her mice or rats ive heard rats have a higher fat content and is a better meal all round being that she is still a hatchling I would like to get bulk on her.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  13:23:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All mine are fed in their vivs and none are aggressive. Its a common myth that a snake with such highly evolved senses will mistake your hand for a juicy smelling rat.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  17:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always feed in the viv/rub that they are living in. I dont see the need to mess them around if i dont have to, i dont want to have to go picking them up for at least a day after eating.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  19:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have always fed in their vivs and fauns as I too don't want to have to disturb them when they have fed and leave 48 hours before handling, as for food mice are fine as hatchlings but as soon as you can move them to rat weaners of an appropriate size as they are more nutritious.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  21:10:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I go straight for rats personally, a hatchling can take a rat pup/pink straight away.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  00:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feed in vivs as well. for same reasons as every one else. also try and get them on to rats as soon as i get them. ( not always with success i have to add.)

i also use a sanitizer gel on hands before handling any of my snakes so they no for sure it me.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  08:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feeding in the viv making snakes aggressive is a total myth. I feed both my girls in the viv and they're fine. I have my hands in on a daily basis for water changing, spot cleaning etc and they've never bitten me. They can tell the difference between my hand and lunch.

Feeding outside the viv increases your chances of being bitten IMO as you're having to handle a snake that may still be in feeding mode to put it away. Don't fancy trying that with Feather when she's fully grown.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  12:50:46  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have tryed both and found they get a little unsettled by moving however one is a royal pain to gettin aspen wrapped up in dinner so i put a piece of paper down on top of it tuck it under a hide or what ever and its stops that prob.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000