Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dogstar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  12:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I need to move my royal, Mitch, into a bigger viv, the one he is currently in is 35 inch in length and not very high. I'm not sure how big Mitch is exactly but he is longer than the viv - I think he is 3 and a half to 4 feet. I wanna get him a really nice big comfortable space, but don't want to get him anything too big that he doesn't feel safe and protected in.

My local reptile store suggested I bring him in for them to advise me properly, but I don't really like transporting him around and the vivs are much cheaper on the net.

Any ideas what is the right kind of size anyone?

Thank you x

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  12:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Princess is in a four foot viv, I wouldn't have thought a royal would need bigger than that.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  12:55:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A 3' viv should be fine for a Royal and they don't need height really.

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  13:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look at the vx36

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Dogstar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  13:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of going for the 48 inch, as his length is longer than 3 ft, wouldn't the 36 in be a little small as he's in a 35 inch at the mo and it just doesn't seem big enough.

Cheers guys x
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  15:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the rules of thumb for working out viv sizes is width x depth = length of snake, ie a 4 x 2 is fine for a snake up to six feet.

Princess is about four and a half feet, once her XL ExoTerra hides and water bowl are in, and her bit of log, that's most of the floor space covered. I know royals don't *need* more room than a three foot, but mine seems perfectly happy.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Dogstar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  16:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you x
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  16:48:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Think about people keeping them in 50L RUBs and about them living in old rodent burrows in the wild, they're happy and secure in smaller spaces, 3' should be fine for 99% of Royals.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  16:52:37  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i am planning on getting the lx36 vivarium when bullet goes into a 3ft tank, because everyone says that royals do better in a 3ft tank as they prefer the less room and tight spaces, depending on how big he gets he might end up in a 4ft if he gets extra large but i don't see that happening so...

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000