New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jht88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  10:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just weigh'd and measured the little one he is 52g and 16inches long, could you good people give me an indication on his age as I have NO TRUST in the seller's comments when I bought him.

I was told he fed on a Saturday but I will not try till next week at the earliest.

The picture I put in my album is not the best but I don't want to stress him too much by messing with him, so post more next week. The bairns are coming later to have a look then that's it he's going away to hide and settle.

Any advice is greatfully accepted.

John

John
Consett, Co Durham
1.0.0. Common Corn (Jester)
0.1.0. Anery Corn (Bobbi)
1.0.0. Spider Royal (Loki)
0.1.0. Normal Royal (Sali)
1.0.0. Common Boa (Dhali)

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  10:40:38  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
would prb say a couple of months old, maybe a an april born, may

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  10:56:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As hatchlings are usually between about 40g and 80g it would appear that it either hatched last month or hasn't really eaten much.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  01:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i would agree . at that weight your talking less than 8 weeks. did the guy in shop say how many times he had feed and or shed?

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

jht88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  21:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, I bought the royal from a private sale, I only went because I was told on the phone that there was a lemon pastel and it would be £50. When I got there, there wasn't any left and he 4 young royals left I was told he was 16 weeks old and was eating fine. Being this was my first royal I wasn't too sure on how big it should be.

I have been informed by a reptile show owner (Tropical Team - Gateshead) that he is under weight and needs to be built up. I've managed to get 1 rat pup into him, with a little help from me, so gonna keep diong this for a few weeks every 5 days till he gets the jist of it.

The seller did contact me on sunday to apologise, and said that he got 8 hatchlings form someone who owed him money and thought he could make a quick buck. Aparently they were about 16 weeks old and the previous owner got a couple of feeds into them and he only got 1 into him 2 weeks ago, and he just thought get rid of them. If I had the experience and the extra monies I would have bought the other 3 that he had left. I also let him know in fairly colourful language what I thought of him and the previous owner and I'd be keeping an eye out for anymore adverts from him.

At least I know now that my little one well be cared for properly, and will hopefully grow strong and healthy from now.

John

John
Consett, Co Durham
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  21:36:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd lay off the assist feeding mate, you're probably stressing the hell out of a snake that has been moved around a lot in its short life. Give him time to settle and he'll eat when he's ready, just weigh him quickly if he doesn't eat to make sure he's not losing much.

Go to Top of Page

jht88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  21:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do thanks for the advise I only want whats best for the little one. I have seen some LED lights for sale on ebay you can get them in RED BLUE GREEN and WHITE am I right in thinling the the red or blue ones would not interfere with royals light cycle so I could use them a night time veiwing

John
Consett, Co Durham
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  22:16:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of people use red light, they don't see red very well.

How you got any pictures of your setup?

Go to Top of Page

jht88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  22:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I haven't got pics yet but can explain, here goes.

It's a 9 litre RUB from Staples with heat mat/stat set at 33'C covering a little over a 1/3 of the base, 2 hides hot/cool and a water dish on the cool side also there is some fake plant going across the top of the 2 hides. The RUB is put inside the opening where you would put DVD player in a TV Stand so that it is basically covered on 3 sides and you can see throught the front.

I am in the process of building a viv and was going to put the RUB inside there when it was done.

As soon as I remember my photobucket id I'll get some pics posted.

John

John
Consett, Co Durham
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  23:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if the tv or stereo speaker on on the same stand i'd move it to be honest . although snakes are deaf they would be very sensitive to the constant reverberation of the speakers. you couls just use some black card or a few sheets of news paper to block of the 3 sides. the rest sound ok. get digital thermometers for measuring your temps at bot sides. don't rely on the dail of the stat as they can be often out by a few degress. and as BE said i would not worry about assist feeding just yet. try and let him get really settled. i would also try and offer him small mice or mouse crawlers if you can get them and see if he goes for that. you can always try and get him on to rats once he is established at feeding him self. it may also be a idea to buy some repto boost which is an aditive that you mix in with their water. useful to have. if a snake is on long fasts or suffering a bit of mild dehydration. good luck.

oh and just right to use colourful language with the seller. strange that he called you to confess. what price did you get him for ? don'y answer that if you don't want to. and one other thing did you give him ( the snake not the seller) a good look over for any sign of mites? smll black bugs that hide in under the scales of the snake. not trying to scare you are any thing. Just often you would find that with snake that have come from a home were thay have not be cared for properly have mites. it would be a contributor to not feeding.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

jht88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  21:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Spor the TV stand is something I've converted into viv on the bottom where a cupboard would normally be and my fish tank is on the top. It's a very sturdy rusic oak type thing(not good with the technical wording) and the royal is in the bit under where the tv would normally go, I'll post some pics when I get sorted. So there is no speaker the only vibration could come from the fish tank pump which I don't think will be to much.

I have some digital thermometers I get them of ebay from a company called Forttex they're very reasonably priced I use them for both my Beardie and Corn and now the royal.

I don't mind saying that I only paid £40 for the little one, I haven't checked for mites but I will. I only think he called me because I showed some interest in his aguana that was also for sale, he claimed his girlfriend was making him sell it.

John

John
Consett, Co Durham
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  22:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all good . yaeh i have got a few thermomters from fortex before. batteries needed replaced quite qiuckly intialy is the fault i had with them.

strange that he was advertising lemon pastels for £50 but yet still sold normals in poor condition for £40. he sound like a real chancer!

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

jht88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  22:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not that clued up on royal morphs but did some googling of pics of normals and lemon pastels, also had a look on reptile forum UK, none of them looked like the pastel pics I had seen and I couldn't tell the difference between the four that he had. The one that he said was the lemon pastel still had some shed on it but its markings looked the same as the rest to me. So picked the one that I thought was the most lively and health looking.

John
Consett, Co Durham
Go to Top of Page

jht88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  20:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some Pics hope you like.

Fish, Corn and new baby Royal

I'm only little

Sorry about the Weetabix Bowl but he fits in lovely

John
Consett, Co Durham
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  21:52:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

Go to Top of Page

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  07:49:54  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love your set up. Really nice conversion - and he does look right at home in that weetabix bowl. Bruce is enjoying a plastic pie & gravy tub (empty and cleaned, obviously) as his moss hide at current - very classy, lol!

Alanna
With Maya, Stan & Lucie (Alaskan Malamutes), Bruce (Royal Python) and Keith (fiance, lol).
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  20:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any luck feeding this week?

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

jht88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  20:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got ittle Nelson he weighed in at 52g and 16" he has taken 2 feeds so far 1 with a lot of help and 1 with not so much help and he is now 57g and 16" its progress not sure if its enough or too much in 10 days any advise please.

John
Consett, Co Durham
Go to Top of Page

jht88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  20:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little update weighed Nelson today and he's up to 63g, up 11g in 2 weeks. On information given to me be Tropical Team - Gateshead (excellent Rep Shop and very helpfull) he's very under weight, but as he didn't have the best start in life its understandable. We're heading in the right direction now feeding time tomorrow night, lets see if there is a second strike. Touching all the wood.

John
Consett, Co Durham

Edited by - jht88 on 18/07/2010 20:01:37
Go to Top of Page

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  22:58:43  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you've got him on the right track again Keep up the good work!!

Alanna
With Maya, Stan & Lucie (Alaskan Malamutes), Bruce (Royal Python) and Keith (fiance, lol).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000