Bruce fancied a make over
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  09:24:45  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, so I guess Bruce is liking his viv make over so much he's gone for one himself. I got him some fun new grapevine to play with only at the end of last week and went in to say good morning to discover a lovely big poop / shed skin in one corner and a shiny-faced-dull-bodied Bruce sitting by his water bowl in the other. I'm a little bit p***y I didn't catch him going blue eyed to raise the humidity, but with the recent heat he's been pretty zonked out and in hiding so I guess it just passed me by. Glad I didn't bother defrosting that rat for him to try today anyway!

So, I was thinking this seemed a bit soon (about 24 days I think), but then weighing in at 250g I'm thinking he's probably a bit of a youngster still (no clue of age from shop I'm afraid) - any thoughts?

Also, he did seem to have some mild issues shedding last time in that he shifted the skin from his head & eyes no prob (as he's done again this time) but I ended up giving him a bath over a week later 'cos the end third of his body just wouldn't budge. Any suggestions to help him along - bearing in mind he's already in ecdysis (remembering that word made me feel smart for the day, lol). I've heard some people say that raising humidity etc. now is pointless and that I should hold off till there's obviously problems before bathing.

Thanks guys!

Alanna
With Maya, Stan & Lucie (Alaskan Malamutes), Bruce (Royal Python) and Keith (fiance, lol).

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  13:22:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
250g, anywhere from 6 - 18 months, probably a late '09.

Yes, there's no point in raising the humidity now.

Go to Top of Page

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  17:45:46  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thankoo BE - succinct as always

Alanna
With Maya, Stan & Lucie (Alaskan Malamutes), Bruce (Royal Python) and Keith (fiance, lol).
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  17:58:39  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry for robbing the thread

what age do you think my snakes is BE i think early 09

i got him in september 2009, he weighed 84 grams and was about 16/17inches long(1ft 5inces).
he now weighs 510 grams (after shed and a big poo) and his shed skin was 33 inches (2ft 9 inches)
so ive had him for about 10 months, hes gained 426g and grew approx 17 inches.
do you think he is growing well?

quote:
bearing in mind he's already in ecdysis

what does ecdysis mean ?

chris
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  18:54:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, its hard to say for sure, a hatchling could be 84g (I've seen them over 100g on rare occasion), so it could be any time in '09 depending on how it fed before you got it, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  21:15:26  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok nps, i think she said its an 09 royal. do you think he is growing well and stuff?
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  22:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heaton177

ok nps, i think she said its an 09 royal. do you think he is growing well and stuff?

he is defo an 09 if you got him in september. and judging by the weight he is putting on there is a good change that he was a good eater as a hatchling. I would guess that he was between 6 and 12 weeks old when you got him. sound like he is doing well and putting on weight at a nice rate. well done

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  07:00:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, seems to be going well.

Go to Top of Page

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  17:13:24  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heaton177

what does ecdysis mean ?

Hi Chris. To quote from theroyalpython.com care sheet (http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/royal_python_care_sheet.htm), "ecdysis is the act of shedding" as opposed to (again, quoting from the same source) pre-ecdysis, which "is the name given to the changes your snake will go through whilst preparing to shed it's skin. This will include a dulling of your snake's skin colour, general inactivity and their eyes will turn a bluish grey colour."

Alanna
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  17:57:15  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well when i was choosing him the woman said you are better going for the snake what strikes for his food so she got a mouse out and i think there was 17 royals in a viv and she went rnd them and non of them looked interested and they she lifted the hide and the royal i have now went for it strait away :) he has never had a problem feeding since i have ha him :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000