New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  21:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all. For the first month of having my Royal she was kept in a Faun heated by two mats (statted of course) The cool end was around 26 celsius and the hot end around 33.
Yesterday I moved her into a 2 foot viv the my MBK used to have. I'm using a ceramic to heat the viv and when I get the hot end up around 33 the exo terra dial thermometer that came with the viv shows that in the middle of the tank it's around 40 degrees I know that they're not all that accurate but I'm still concerned. I put another dial thermometer on top of the cool end hide for a couple of hours and it was reading around 30. The digital however says that the temp was 25.9.

I'm concerned that I'm slowly cooking the snake.

Both the hot end and cold end digi thermometer probes are at substrate level in the middle of the side walls of the tank. What are the ideal temps that I'm looking for?

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for any advice you can give.

All the best,

Justin

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  21:26:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Get rid of the dial thermometers.

I aim for 31-33C hot end, the cool end is usually around the mid 20s, however, that's in 3' vivs, not 2'.

Go to Top of Page

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  21:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dial thermometer is stuck on, and I know from experience that getting the sticky stuff off is tricky. It came with my MBK's set up last year, but I use digi's with all my snakes.

Would I be best just setting the hot end to about 31 or slightly above then?

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  02:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trust the digital ones then because the dial ones are known to be as much as 10degrees out in some cases. Forget what the thermostat says, adjust it until the digital thermometers say its at the right temp, and remember it can take quite some time for the temps to settle so just adjust it a little bit at a time with a decent wait in between :-)

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  07:44:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How big is the ceramic? - It may be that its just too big for a 2' viv and you'll have to get a smaller one or stick with a heat mat until you move into a 3' viv.

Go to Top of Page

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  08:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried a 60 watt which didn't get up to 30 at all, and that was with the stat running at full tilt. There's a 100 watt in there now and it's sitting at a steady 31.3

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  20:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think its all been said but i'll agree anyway. forget the dails altogether. inculding the one on the stat. and really on your digital thermometers for both ends. 31.3 is good fro the hot end. where you say you probe is placed as it may be a degress or so warmer directly under the ceramic. 26 or so for the cool end would be good to get. as it has been said further up. it can take sometime for the temps to settle so just keep and eye and don't panic.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page