Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

carr13
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  11:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some hides I have made for our baby royals Margarine and Ike any comments would be welcome thank you in advance
Tree stump hide with lid

log hide

rock cave hide

these hides are not quite finished they still need hardening and painting so please use your imagination lol

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:11:22  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they look really good! did u just use clay? :)

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  14:30:40  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wow, they are amazing how did u make them, i would love to give it a try

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

carr13
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  15:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, yep I used air drying clay and then paint a hardener on and bake them then paint and varnish, all non toxic.
They are not overly difficult to make, I rolled out the main structure, cut and shape then leave to dry for a while, then cut out any entrances. Roll out more clay to the same thickness for any bases, lids etc, then attach to the main structure, after this you can make any artistic additions like tree roots or branches etc.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  16:27:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, can't wait to see them finished.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  17:46:14  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
do u have links to product you bought, as in the clay, the hardener, the paint and the varnish, would be much apreciated cuz then i can bu some and try it out
edit: for got to ask, how much clay did u use to make all them, and how much has it cost you if u dont mind me asking
keep us updated with all the things that u do, like hardening, and painting and varnishing and all that
if u ever make any more u should do a step buy step giude, like how to make the actuall shape and all that, so then one of the mods could make it a sticky in the diy section

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 09/08/2010 17:52:19
Go to Top of Page

carr13
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  18:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a 12.5 kg bag of air drying clay for £20 ish and I still have loads left, though that size bag is no longer on amazon but here is a link to the 1kg bag they do http://www.amazon.co.uk/1kg-Air-Drying-clay-Stone/dp/B002QSK108/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1281372594&sr=8-7
you can also get the hardener on amazon just put in clay hardener. I just use acrylic paint and non toxic varnish and haven't had any problems so far. Acrylic paint is available in any shop that sells art supplies, it's also not expensive and non toxic varnish is in any shop that sells decorating supplies also not expensive. All told I have prob spent £30 and got enough stuff to make many many hides and as we all know hides are quite expensive lol
Good luck with your hides hope to see pics soon

and thanks danny I might just do the whole step by step thing next size up hide I make

Edited by - carr13 on 09/08/2010 18:03:36
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  18:09:51  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i really like the log hide, and the log stump, so might buy 2 bags of the 1kg ones, and try and make one of them, to see how i get on, i cannot wait to see your step by step guide so i can see how u make them
edit: do u have to use the hardener on it, what does it do?? it cost u 30 quid to buy the clay, the hardener, the paint and the varnish?? where did u buy your varnish from??

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 09/08/2010 18:29:17
Go to Top of Page

carr13
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  18:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my fav are the tree ones to, I'm only using hardener as air drying clay isnt as durable as clay you fire in a kiln and you carnt make your hides to thick or they would become to bulky and take way to long to dry. I got normal clear non toxic varnish from wilkinson's the acrylic paint and then the varnish will water proof the hide and it will be wipe clean and washable
I have to say I had most of the stuff needed already as I'm a bit of an artist anyway lol
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  20:28:15  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh ok, do u use a mold to shape them?? or just do it bye hand??
so could i now use hardener on it?? does it just make the clay a bit more durable

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:05:21  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
would this stuff work??
http://www.elc.co.uk/2.5kg-Air-Drying-Clay/121784,default,pd.html
it is air drying clay, just not coloured

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

carr13
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used molds and have shaped by hand it really depends on how you want to do it, I prefer to shape by hand for a more unique finish. You don't use the hardener until it's dried fully then give a couple of coats and bake if you want it to be even more durable.
And the stuff in the link you passed on should work just as well in fact it's prob the same stuff I have.
Start with something easy to get a feel for working with clay and then you can go on to do more complicated stuff
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made my own hides with salt dough, I used a wine bottle for a log mold and a variety of crockery to make cool rock shapes, was so satisfying when I finally got the finished product. Not as good as carr's though.

Go to Top of Page

carr13
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nazzle
I have made things out of salt dough before but didn't think it would be stable enough for anything to complicated that and it gave me an excuse to buy some clay and mess about lol
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Yearling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  01:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good plan! My cream carpets wouldn't like that though!

Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  13:21:57  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im deffo gna try this! our royals nearly outgrown its hide and was gna buy one this weekend but may do this instead! :)

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  21:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nazzle

Good plan! My cream carpets wouldn't like that though!

You've got cream carpets?? Who bred those??? LOL!

A bit off topic but my lot like those straw 'mouse nests.' Very cheap and I attach them to the viv ceiling like tree houses. My new little royal struck and coiled round his mouse today and is presently sleeping it off up there (rockabye snakey) - very contented little lad ...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  22:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Er, realise they wouldn't do for full size royal!!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  23:02:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good idea

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  21:32:54  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
very nice great work

Go to Top of Page

carr13
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your comments and here are a few pics of the hides all finished and in use

both the baby's love there new hides and can usually be found in one or another of them lol deffo a good make.
I have recently made the next size up and took pics of each stage so will hopefully be doing a how to guide for anybody that is interested.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000