New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

charliep
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  21:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 7 year old royal which I have had for about a year now, when I feed him it's as if he can't see the prey at all and he strikes at everything but the prey, I'm worried he's going to hurt himself because he strikes quite aggressively! The only way he finds it is if I hold it right in front of his face (with tongs of course!) but sometimes it takes quite a long time. Should I be worried?

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  22:02:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Do you heat the prey?

Royals have very good heat pits around the mouth and use this sense as much as sight to strike at their prey.

I give mine a blast with a hair drier for about 30 secs before offering to get the head nice and warm.

Go to Top of Page

charliep
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  22:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have tried doing that before but will try again. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

matty87
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  23:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im yet to give my royal his first feed since ive had him but the way i was advised was to dip the head of the mouse in warm water to get some heat into it, maybe thats something worth trying?
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2010 :  01:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My spider is not the most accurate striker. He sometimes misses and hits his head on the side of the tank. A lot of times, he gets the rat on the side or the rump.

But, half the time he gets the rat right where he needs it.

So, dunno if this is the same problem you got, but my snake is just fine.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2010 :  04:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Charlie you could run the nose of the rat under hot water not to hot that may help.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2010 :  18:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy rolls of small freezer bags, and warm the rats up by putting them into hat water once inside the bag. however you can just drop your rat into very warm water, snakes aren`t fussy, if they are hungry they will strike. ( i always test the water by putting my hand in, if i can stand the heat and its not scolding then it will do the job). A good blast with the hairdryer will always work though.
But then some Royals are just crap at strike feeding, my Bumble bee is all over the shop I let her strike and then drop it in front of her, she always eats.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  15:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the freezer bag method and its worked every time. Thaw the prey out naturally overnight and just before ready to offer the food, place the prey in a sealable freezer bag in a bowl of hot water for about five minutes. Then quickly remove the prey and offer it, my snake goes for them like a missile and never misses. it seems the that he coils round it until the heat dissipates from the prey (as it will do quite quickly) and then he assumes he's killed it and he begins to eat. Never fails.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000