New Royal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  17:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys got a new royal today he`s about 2 years old, as expected he`s been curling up but im not going to handle him for a week but when i got him he was fine not aggresive at all but when i checked the temp earlier he was hissing alot at me shud i be worried or is it jus because he`s scared

~AJG~

0.1.0 Corn Snake - Crystal

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  18:36:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, just give him a week or two to settle in.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  20:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bless him, he'll be fine.

I got my first royal (Shahi) last month and he straightaway went blue and then had a lousy shed despite big water bowl/damp hide. He's only a baby and I knew I mustn't handle him till he'd had a few feeds, but I had to put him in shallow water in a rub with a towel and help him, and it was then that I realised he could say his name: 'SSSsssshhhhaaaahhhiiii!'

I was scared stiff I'd put him off his grub, but no, he's a gannet, and today was the first time I could have him out; I waited till he was wandering about, and picked him up and brought him out for a very quiet ten minutes or so ... A couple of times he flinched and froze (when I moved my hand too fast) but otherwise he was remarkably bold, climbed round me and into my sleeve, and didn't hiss at all.

I'm sure your lad will be fine when he's got used to his new home. I did read of one useful tip - put something you've worn in the snake's viv/rub, so that it can get used to your smell. I kept a piece of cloth up my sleeve one day and then put it in Shahi's viv so that he could get used to the smell of my hands before I handled him.

All the best!

Go to Top of Page

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  23:46:36  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok then thanks alot nd ill try that ill keep a bit of tissue or sumthin on me then put it nd im sure its cos he`s nervous but when i handled him in the shop he was fine so im convinced he`s not aggressive ill upload some pics later

thanks alot aaron

~AJG~

Go to Top of Page

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  23:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

the bloke told me not to put any hides in until he`s used to me so he doesnt get too deffensive against me

~AJG~

Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  02:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats one of the worst pieces of advice Ive ever heard....

Its not your fault though, you need to get two hides in there, one in the warm end and one in the cool end. Id also get rid of the dial thermometer/hygrometer and get digital ones in there, the dial ones can be about 10 degrees out!

These are cheap and great quality: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-LCD-Fish-Aquarium-Tank-Water-Thermometer-UK-/220638408696?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish

And: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exo-Terra-Digital-Hygrometer-Reptiles-/170524952836?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects

When you get it just put the thermometer probe in the same place as your thermostat probe (what kind of thermostat do you have?) and adjust the dial on the thermostat until the thermometer reads the correct temps.

If ya have any problems dont hesitate to ask here, no question is a silly question when your snakes health is at stake :-)

Youll probably find when you put the hides in the hissing will stop.

cheers

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  05:38:55  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as above that may well be the whole reason for the way he is been u need hides asap !

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  06:44:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What Boze said.

Go to Top of Page

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  10:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
kk thanks alot i bought a ministat 100 thermostat but the bloke said not to use it cos the heat matt i got will provide enough heat on its own and wot size exo terra hides would be suffienct and im going tomorrow to get a small starter viv about 2ft long and 18 inches long and heigh but thank you for the advice

Aaron

~AJG~

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  13:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again. About your stat, you do need to use one - in fact if you look on the corn snake forum you will see (in general keeping) a thread called 'thermostat' posted over the weekend and also, in 'general' a recent thread by yours truly called 'serious rant' which will give you far more info than I can supply. There are loads of people on here who can help you about thermostats too.

About the hides, anything will do - kitchen roll inners, cardboard boxes small enough for your boy to curl up tightly ... they love tiny spaces, dimness, privacy ... in fact (in my experience) the more hides you provide the more you will see your snake (if you see what I mean - the privacy increases their confidence.) As he's still growing I'd save your money if I were you and buy him the posh exo terra stuff when he's big enough. In fact people say to pack a young snake's viv/rub out with hides. It's going to look a bit untidy but the snake will love it and it won't make him defensive. Shahi now usually sits in one of his hides (a straw 'mouse nest' hanging from the ceiling of the viv) with his head poking out. Waiting for his grub, I think ...

All the best with your lad.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  13:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, sorry, that thread about thermostats over on corns - it's in general posts, now on page 2.

Go to Top of Page

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  17:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks alot for all your help and ive been to see some1 else today got a small viv and installed a stat with heat bulb there 2 hides and few plants and im using dials until i can get the digital therms nd hygro nd ill post this image to see what you think...also would 30oC be ok or can it go a little warmer to about 35oC atm ive got it too 30oC

~AJG~

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  19:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That setup looks gorgeous. 30 degrees is the norm, I believe - there may be other opinions though.

Hey I see you've got your door lock on okay - when I tried to fit one of those damn things I jammed the doors and all sorts. Couldn't do it. Been taping up my viv doors, and going to have to go on doing that ... that's life, I suppose.

Go to Top of Page

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  19:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha i stuggled with it at first but then i jus got the vice out and straightened it up and boshed it on and thanks im jus monitoring his behaviour he`s been spending time on he cool side (25/26oC) but then again it is warm in my bedroom ...

~AJG~

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  21:19:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have my hot ends at 31C.

You NEED a guard on that bulb, quick.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2483

Viv looks nice though

Go to Top of Page

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  21:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thank you and considering them pictures i need one this second so ill buy some of the stuff tomoz nd ill make one and screw it to the top

~AJG~

Go to Top of Page

Lettsy1
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  21:35:07  Show Profile  Click to see Lettsy1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
viv looks good hun, i had prob puttin my lock on too, found that if put it in the middle of the glass there is more play in it, at least i figured it before hub the hammer out to straighten it! lol!

1.1.0 Royal (Dash,Sheba & Ditto)
1.1.0 Western Hognose (Frank & Grace)
0.0.1 Snow Corn (Ghost)
Go to Top of Page

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  22:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol i had to do it with ma corn snakes lock aswell nd thanks

~AJG~

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000