Weight update.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  10:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok my royal hasnt eaten for a good few months now and just to update you guys on his weight flucuation. On the 8th of last month he weighted 625g and as of yesterday he was 611g. so a drop of about 14g. Is that a worrying drop in weight? also how do you guys prepare you snakes food? cheers

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  11:35:25  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I cant answer the question about the weight, but when we prepare food, we fill a cup of hot water from the tap, We where advised not to put boiling water from a kettle as its to hot, we then put the mice in there til they have defrosted then feed them straight away to the royal and corns so their still warm.

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  13:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt be too worried yet, that may have been the weight of a pee or poo :-)

To prepare the rat I put it in a wee plastic bag and leave it on top of sals viv for a few hours to defrost at room temp, once its done I pop it in a cup of warm water for about 5 mins to warm up the whole rat, then dip the rats head in hot water for about 30 seconds. The reason for this is to superheat the head to aid the snake in striking as they "see" the heat from the prey.

Hope this helps

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  13:26:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
14g is insignificant, don't worry.

I get my rats out in the morning and allow to defrost at romo temperature near the viv, then blast for 30 secs with a hair drier before offering.

Go to Top of Page

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  13:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks for the feedback. i will try these methods and see if i have more luck. cheers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000