Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  11:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just let the mouse defrost in a gap between 2 vivs. It's usually quite warm over all. I then get the snake from her tank and put her in an RUB. Then I'll grab the mouse with the tongues, heat the head for about 20 seconds under a bulb, and offer it to the snake. She'll work out very quickly that it's food, then hits it like a train and kills it for about 5 minutes before eating. Then I just tilt the RUB up and off she goes to hide in her viv.

It works every time, even when she's just heading into shed :)

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  09:46:38  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hiya,
I was reading the other day that "braining" a mouse will tempt a fussy eating. In other words, splitting its head open!...nice! The smell of brain tissue is apparently irresistable!

Thankfully florence likes a little less gore at meal times!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  08:53:22  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My 07 is a 'brainer' and i dont think i will ever get used to sticking a small knife through a rats brain

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  14:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by antw23uk

My 07 is a 'brainer' and i dont think i will ever get used to sticking a small knife through a rats brain

It's easier if you use scissors and, if the rat is frozen, snip the skull before the creature is fully defrosted - less messy.

(The poor little bugger will never play rugger
And grow up big and strong ...

No, but the snake will.)

Wot, play rugger?? No, but you know what I mean ...

Go to Top of Page

UncleNos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  08:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two are like night and day, If I show Rafiki a rat pup he strikes then spends five to twenty minuits working out what end is what before taking it down. He's only ever refused once but he was going into shed at the time. But Zazu is a different ballgame she didn't eat for the whole of last month didn't overly worry me just kept trying once a week untill she decided that she was hungry.
My method of defrosting is throwing all the snakes frozen foods (two pinkies two rat pups and a mouse) into a jug running hot water (maybe 40C) into the jug letting them defrost and just before I'm ready to feed I'll change the water and let them sit for two minutes before toweling off and then washing my hands (very important if you don't want a misplaced strike) before taking them out of their rubs into an empty larger rub and dangling ratty in front of them. My misses had the brown trousers the first time we got them to strike 'cos she was holding Rafiki at the time he launched himself at the pup. I almost wet myself I don't tend to flinch we've got nine cats and flinching is not an option with them.
The rule of thumb is patience and lots of it, you'll find plenty of posts and even a non feeding club on here so don't panic yet.

1.2.0 Normal Royals. Rafiki, Zazu, Timone
1.1.0 Het Pied Royals. Pumba,Sally
1.0.0 Orange Ghost Buster
1.0.0 Pastel (Het pied) Nygma
0.1.0 Spider
2.4.2 corns. Medusa,Sparkles,Dorito,Sssam, Dave, Chilli, Pepper, Princesss Annie.
1.0.0 Red tail catfish. Morph----R.I.P. you'll be missed
7.2.0 Cats. M.I.B,Picasso,Merc,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts.
Go to Top of Page

BobJ420
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  18:23:08  Show Profile  Click to see BobJ420's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got my 6 month old girl a few weeks ago and she's struck everytime, I just take the mouse straight out of the freezer into a bag and into some hot (not boiling) water for 10 minutes, give or take checking myself how it is. Once its done just dangle in by its tail with the metal tongs and within a few seconds she's usually got it. Had no problems that way so far fingers crossed she keeps it up.

0.1.0 Normal Royal Python - Mary Jane
1.0.0 Red Tail Boa - Clyde
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000