Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  13:32:48  Show Profile
Or if you read the care sheet contained as part of this very website (and for those who deny conflicting information exists)

"A popular alternative to the heat mat is a normal light bulb on the roof of the vivarium, attached to a dimming stat. It is important to ensure that the heat source is protected from direct contact with you snake by using a guard. Royal Pythons do not feel heat in the same way that we do and do not always realise that something they are touching is burning them. A bulb guard will ensure that your Royal Python will stay a safe distance away from the heat of the bulb so burns will be avoided.

(Bold is my emphasis) The disadvantages of using a bulb as a heat source is that the bulb needs to be turned on constantly to keep the vivarium at the correct temperature. Your Royal Python does not require light 24 hours a day and can suffer from stress if the light exposure is too long. It is recommended to keep your Royal Python in a natural light pattern that mimics normal daytime, so a heat mat or a ceramic heater is a better choice between the heat sources. If you do decide to use a heat mat, then a energy-saving or red coloured bulb with guard can be added to the vivarium for decorative purposes to help you see your snake."

This advice is not inconsistent with oter media freely available.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  14:00:46  Show Profile
I've sat back and watched this thread grow. Personally i'll continue to use both. It's not for lack of caring. I just see it as such a slim chance. I'd rather keep a watchful eye on what is going on and daily checking. Mine are still small so no real chance just yet. All though i think i'm going to do some documented experiments into it when i get 5 minutes.minutes.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  14:34:16  Show Profile
About the bit in the care sheet regarding the snake being stressed by constant light from a heat bulb.

I had always understood that snakes can't 'see' infra-red light, as opposed to conventional lighting, and that infra-red wouldn't stress them in this way.

Off-topic, but could someone reassure me on this please? Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

jimb87
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  16:42:45  Show Profile
(ginger pony lol) its not an uncaring attitude iv got regarding heatmats. An uncaring attitude would be to let the poor thing burn. which its not. and sorry but your anaolgy sucks, how can i compare myselfy getting hit by a car to a snake that burns his belly without even knowing he's doing it? That comment you made makes me think your some kinda of animal rights extermist. Why are you even keeping snakes them poor rats. (which are more intelegant than snakes) do you eat meat urself? and dont you have anything better to do with your time than to pick parts of my thread out and judge me on it? go join the dark side lol :)
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  17:37:23  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by jimb87

(ginger pony lol) its not an uncaring attitude iv got regarding heatmats. An uncaring attitude would be to let the poor thing burn. which its not. and sorry but your anaolgy sucks, how can i compare myselfy getting hit by a car to a snake that burns his belly without even knowing he's doing it? That comment you made makes me think your some kinda of animal rights extermist. Why are you even keeping snakes them poor rats. (which are more intelegant than snakes) do you eat meat urself? and dont you have anything better to do with your time than to pick parts of my thread out and judge me on it? go join the dark side lol :)

i am sorry, but gp is one of the best snake carers i have ever met and she would never take any risks on hurting any of her snakes, y the hell should she go and join the dark side, its you that's picking an argument and jumping down everyone's throats like this, and i thought gp's analogy was the best, it explained it all, would u wait and see what happens and let it happen even if u new there was a chance, or prevent it from happening before hand, i think most people would prevent it, plus how long ahve u had snakes, and i bet gp has them a lot longer than you have, so she nows what shes talking about
piers, i think this thread has run its course and should be locked

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 06/10/2010 17:46:11
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  18:37:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by jimb87

You can look at a number of care sheets online, and heat mats are recomended. Even by new england reptile distribution

NERD use racks, so the heat mats will be under the tubs, they don't keep several thousand snakes in vivs...

quote:
Originally posted by Roly

"A popular alternative to the heat mat is a normal light bulb on the roof of the vivarium, attached to a dimming stat. It is important to ensure that the heat source is protected from direct contact with you snake by using a guard. Royal Pythons do not feel heat in the same way that we do and do not always realise that something they are touching is burning them. A bulb guard will ensure that your Royal Python will stay a safe distance away from the heat of the bulb so burns will be avoided.

(Bold is my emphasis) The disadvantages of using a bulb as a heat source is that the bulb needs to be turned on constantly to keep the vivarium at the correct temperature. Your Royal Python does not require light 24 hours a day and can suffer from stress if the light exposure is too long. It is recommended to keep your Royal Python in a natural light pattern that mimics normal daytime, so a heat mat or a ceramic heater is a better choice between the heat sources. If you do decide to use a heat mat, then a energy-saving or red coloured bulb with guard can be added to the vivarium for decorative purposes to help you see your snake."

Thanks for pointing this out, I did not write it and will try to get it changed.

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

About the bit in the care sheet regarding the snake being stressed by constant light from a heat bulb.

I had always understood that snakes can't 'see' infra-red light, as opposed to conventional lighting, and that infra-red wouldn't stress them in this way.

Off-topic, but could someone reassure me on this please? Thanks!

Yes, IR bulbs are fine

Heatmats are fine for hatchlings or under RUBS/Fauns etc.

PS. Bulbs with an appropriate guard will not burn a snake.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000