Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Moist hides
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  09:37:03  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi,

KingBob shed last night, perfect shed no problems but I was wondering if I should leave his moist hide in permanently or if I should remove it and replace it with a normal hide until he's due to shed again? My corn only gets a moist hide at shedding time but I wanted to check what you all do with your royals?

Thanks,
Brian.

1.1 Royal Python

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  09:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine sheds fine without a moist hide, so I've never used one. I wouldn't leave it in all the time though.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  11:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, that's great!

If he's shed perfectly then you've got the hide routine right- no need to leave it in all the time. It's when they keep having scruffy sheds, like my awkward little dear, that you need to try leaving the moist hide in all the time to up the humidity during the whole cycle. (I was recently advised to do this - I'm no expert.)

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  11:44:52  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.

Brian.

1.1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

bonez007
Hatchling

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  13:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah sounds like you got it spot on mate, everyone is to there own when it comes to shedding, i just spray the viv move water bowl to get the humidity up and it works fine for me

the day he has a bad shed then ile put a moist hide in :)

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  16:33:24  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I bought another bowl slightly bigger than the green one shown below and I will be using this as the hide on the hot side.
I need something in it to weigh it down as I thought if I fill it with water it will raise the humidity too much so I was thinking of a big rock or stump of wood which would give him something to climb on.

Anyone got any ideas?

1.1 Royal Python

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 26/10/2010 16:36:48
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  17:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... yes, a large smooth clean unsalty seaside pebble/rock, if you can get hold of such a thing, and he'd probably like to curl up on it. I personally wouldn't fill the bowl to the brim - because you know what'll happen - he'll get in and the water will get out!

Alternatively, you could use a heavier dish - charity shops are great. A few years ago I bought a large oval lidless stoneware casserole ...'Why on earth did I buy this?' These days I know why I bought it. Swimming pool for Shahi when he gets a bit bigger!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  17:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooops, sorry, didn't read post properly!

Thought you were using bowl as an extra aid to humidity. But see it's a box! You could put something like a piece of mopani root (available from Pets at Home/Dunelm Mill) on top of the lid, as long as it was stable and couldn't be dislodged ...

Come to think of it, the notion of a half filled large bowl with an 'island' in the middle might be quite attractive to a shedding royal - I might try that with Shahi next time!

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  20:28:07  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got mopani root from Pets at Home for my cornsnake tank. It looks great.

After I have added the bigger bowl on the right (below) there's not alot of room, even in a 50l RUB and I've still not got any plants for it yet. The corn is in a 145 litre RUB so there's lots of room for the mopani wood and 4 hides and a waterbowl and alot more plants now than you can see in the picture.

I was in pets at home today and they had loads of mopani root in so I am gonna go back and take a closer look

Thanks,
Brian.

1.1 Royal Python

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 26/10/2010 20:32:43
Go to Top of Page

bonez007
Hatchling

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  20:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is there room under those bowls then, i thought the bowl of it pretty much filled the underside except a little round the edges, personally i would change the hide to something kingbob can climb on top of.....

nic

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  16:21:50  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes there is a decent amount of room under them and it's ideal they double as a water bowl to save space. I will be adding something for him to climb on, just need to find something that will fit.

1.1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  16:27:36  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
get the ivy garland from dunelm mill, they cost 3.59 and you get a metre, and they are great, i have 2 in monty's tank and i have 3 spare for when i get his 4ft viv, i have also have 1 cut up in bows viv and it looks great.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  16:30:31  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cheers there a dunelm mill near me now, will check it out at the weekend.

1.1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  16:32:14  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
here they are
http://www.dunelm-mill.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?freeText=ivy&storeId=10551&catalogId=11100&langId=-1
i think they are great. i buy them and pieces of wood from dunelm as it is alot cheaper than pet shops

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000