Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Insulating RUBs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  18:25:32  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am hoping to move my snakes into our smaller spare room but this room is always a bit colder than the one they are currently in. I was thinking about putting polystyrene sheets around their rubs (sprayed to give a bit or background colour) for some added insulation.

Do you think this idea is feasible?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Brian.

1.1 Royal Python

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  18:33:08  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
inside or out?

would be a good idea and you would prob save a bit on energy :)
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  18:35:57  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Outside.

1.1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  17:33:33  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i dont seethe harm, wonder what everyone else thinks.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  18:39:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No reason why not as long as you still have the air throughway. I've never had a need to insulate a RUB personally though.

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  11:01:28  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I setup a 145 litre RUB last night, insulated all over apart from the front and set it up as below with 2x 11"x11" heatmats and allowing for airholes etc. Overnight the hot end remained a constant 31 oC but the cold end fell to 16 oC. In the room next door the cold end of my RUBS was 21 oC. I decided after this test that this room is too cold for them so they will be remaining in their current location.

Thanks for the replies.
Brian.

1.1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  18:24:20  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
would it have been better covering the whole RUB with the polystyrene apart from the front and then drilling holes or poking the existings 1 thru the poly? but makin sure the holes are clear?
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  21:12:58  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It might have been slightly better but on the sides and top there were only small areas about 4" square that are exposed. It's ok now I have them fully setup in the warmer room!

1.1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000