Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  20:27:58  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so frustrated
need to rant sorry
bow is driving me crazy, it is frustrating that again she refused her meal, wasn't even interested at all, i did it differently this time and decided to take her out her cage to feed in case that was it, well that made it worse, she didn't even seem interested in the rat while i was heating it up and usually she can smell it so she starts to get interested, and then when i offered it she just ran away to the other side of the tub and tried to get out, i only offered once because parents had put me in a mood and i thought if i try again im guna get really fustrated and do something that will get me 5 steps back (like bang it on her nose, not hard but to make her think that its a threat) so i just quickly put her back and i am sat her typing this while calming down and watching bullet it. the thing that cheesed me off the most was that dad then had the cheeck to start giving me ideas and explaining how he thinks im feed her wrong and i should try soaking in beef juices or heat it again and things like that, im the one who keeps the snakes and nows about them, not him
sorry for that, feel a bit better now, i might try bow again next week and then if she refuses again i might think about a force feed

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

Edited by - GMac on 20/11/2010 20:53:33

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  20:48:00  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont mean force feeding, i mean assist feeding

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  20:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about that - it's soul-destroying when you don't know what to do for the best.

Have you still got the rat? You could warm it up again and try her again.

You know all the different feeding options of course, but there's a difference between force-feeding and assist feeding. Many snakes grab and coil as soon as the mouse (better to use a smaller size mouse or rat) is inserted between their lips, as Kelfezond described in 'Diablo force feeding', and that's assist - the snake does all the work, in fact. You can google videoes on youtube.

Sorry, hope I don't sound like your Dad, overloading you with info!

Do hope she feeds for you soon, and if you do have to assist, unlike force feeding, it shouldn't be too traumatic for Bow or you. But I hope she decides to start eating of her own accord.

All the best.

Edited by - n/a on 20/11/2010 20:52:34
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  20:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

dont mean force feeding, i mean assist feeding

Oops sorry, we overlapped there!

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  20:58:34  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks bats, i meant assist feeding, i would never attemtp force feeding myself
dont worry, u sound nothing like my dad lol, plus you now what you are talking about
unfortunalty i actually gave the rat to bullet ( he enjoyed it) so will have to wait till next week
when i was picking her up she kinda looked round at my hand as if she was guna bit me, i would hvae been so happy if she would have bitten me cuz at least it would have meant that she maybe wanted food but she didn't

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  21:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny was in your position with our girl when we got her last year. Sorry i need reminding how long have you had Bow?

Had to assist our girl in the end, and I would suggest you dont just use youtube to gain the experience of assisting, it is very traumatic not just for the snake but for you also. I would see if there is anyone nearby who has experience of assisting and getting them to do it the first few times at least then under their supervision do it yourself. Or speak to the guys at V and V they may be able to help you out.

Hope it doesnt get to that stage though.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  21:03:18  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
iv had bow 5 weeks now and shes refused every week now
i now someone in my area who will assist for me and has assisted quite a few times before so he nows what he is doing so if it comes to it he will do it for me and teach me

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  21:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Gmac if you got the idea I thought youtube videos were a 'tutorial' for assisting - I wouldn't recommend them as that, as actually you can't see the actual moment of 'assist' but only as a guide, and also I know Danny knows his stuff. But they ARE reassuring in that you can see how the feeding response is aroused.

I know there are differing opinions on assisting, and whether this is stressful, and of course all snakes are different too.

Danny, that's good there's someone local who can help. Again good luck with her.

Edited by - n/a on 20/11/2010 21:14:15
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  21:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Sorry Gmac if you got the idea I thought youtube videos were a 'tutorial' for assisting - I wouldn't recommend them as that, as actually you can't see the actual moment of 'assist' but only as a guide, and also I know Danny knows his stuff. But they ARE reassuring in that you can see how the feeding response is aroused.

I know there are differing opinions on assisting, and whether this is stressful, and of course all snakes are different too.

Danny, that's good there's someone local who can help. Again good luck with her.

nope wasn't suggesting that at all BATS, I do believe watching videos can help in being aware of the procedure though.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  21:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  23:41:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Danny, is she losing weight?

If not, then forget the assist feeding for a while and just leave her alone, offering in her viv a nice warm rat pup once every 5 to 7 days.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  07:40:18  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks, im guna way here today to see if she has dropped any weight, and then still offer next week
im gune take 1 week at a time and see where we get

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  08:48:14  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just weighed bow as she was out and about

10-11-2010 she weighed 83 grams
21-11-2010 (today) she weighed 78 grams
that means shes lost 5 grams
what do u think????

i also bathed her because bullet pees in his cage leaving white poo things which i now are urates but bow has never done any of these so thought maybe she wasn't drinking so gave her a quick bath although she still didn't drink anything

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  10:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would leave her a whole week without handling or even offering food.
She might calm down then and be more comfortable. Then stick food in the Viv at night and see if she takes it on her own

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Brett1980
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  11:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forgive me if this has been tryed or if im totally wrong, im new to snakes so could be way off. Something that was recomended to me to try if my meds refused to eat.

If bow was eating at the breeders/shop where you got her from try to mimmick the environment/setup she was in, size, heat, substrate. I was told the sudden change can sometimes put them of food and although they will normally come around in the end and feed apparantly there are always one or two that are more problematic.

0.1.0 royal python
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  11:50:35  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i got her from a breeder but she should be comfertbale because the breeder housed her in a 5 ltr rub with paper substrate, a water bowl and 1 hide
i am housing her in an 11 ltr, the smallest i could get, with 2 hides, 1 piece of wood, a water bowl and plenty of plants to cover the top

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  13:30:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ok, so she has barely lost any weight at all, she's fine. Probably a bit more stressed now for having been given a bath, so expect her not to eat for a bit.

Just be patient, offer her food every 5-7 days and if she doesn't eat, weigh her and leave her alone for at least another 5 days.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  22:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As B.E saids danny, also remember it's always more frustrating for the keeper. Were still mentally set on ourselves eating 3 meals a day so when our snake misses a meal after a week we think they are gonna starve. No expert but my opinion would be to grab a smaller r.u.b i think even argos does little ones or staples, £1 shops. put a couple of hides in with a water bowl so she's really snug and never really in to much of an open space. leave her alone for 4-5 days then offer nice warm especially the head rat pup. i wouldn't move her to feed her at this stage. I've tried feeding before and they've not been interested then heated up the same rat 30mins later and they've dived on it. One thing I've learned is keeping royals teaches you patients.
Good luck mate.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2010 :  15:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you considered that all this fussing, handling and general uncertainess might actually be the problem? Just a thought.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2010 :  17:03:33  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

As B.E saids danny, also remember it's always more frustrating for the keeper. Were still mentally set on ourselves eating 3 meals a day so when our snake misses a meal after a week we think they are gonna starve. No expert but my opinion would be to grab a smaller r.u.b i think even argos does little ones or staples, £1 shops. put a couple of hides in with a water bowl so she's really snug and never really in to much of an open space. leave her alone for 4-5 days then offer nice warm especially the head rat pup. i wouldn't move her to feed her at this stage. I've tried feeding before and they've not been interested then heated up the same rat 30mins later and they've dived on it. One thing I've learned is keeping royals teaches you patients.
Good luck mate.

the rub she is in is really snug, literally i can not see her if she comes out and there is now way on earth i could fit a pea in it lol
shes already in a nice quite spot out the way as i thought about that first thing lol
ill try her on sat as that will have been a week, and they definatly do teach you to be patient lol, which is something i need to learn

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 22/11/2010 18:29:51
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Hatchling

81 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2010 :  18:23:12  Show Profile  Click to see deadmansfinger's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

I really hope you get your snake eating soon.

All the best,
Brian.

1.1 Royal Python

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 22/11/2010 18:23:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000