New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

speedy231278
Hatchling

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  16:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My new aquisition will shortly require her first meal, so I'm after a bit of advice on defrosting as I don't want to make her ill, or put her off eating. I'm used to feeding our corns mice, which don't take a great deal of defrosting, as usually a few hours or so at room temperature will result in a nicely thawed meal. However, my royal is up to medium rats, which to someone used to mice look gigantic!

Obviously they need to be fully defrosted, and other posts suggest actually warmed up as well. However, not having defrosted such a large meal before I've got no idea how long it will take. I don't want to leave it out too long in case it goes nasty, but obviously I don't want to end up being fooled into thinking it's nicely defrosted when in fact the middle is still possibly very cold or even solid. Some people seem to advocate using warm water to help, others think it's a bad idea.

What methods do you guys use? To me, it looks like at this size the very least would be to get them out the morning before, or perhaps even the night before?

2.1.0 royals
1.2.0 corns
0.0.3 motorcycles
0.1.0 she who must be obeyed... ;-)

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  17:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, good point. I have corns on smaller mice, but the large mice (I have two mouse junkies) and rats I feed my royals, I put in the fridge overnight in a plastic bag so that they are fully defrosted the next day, when they can have an hour or two at room temps and then a warm in the bag in a jug of of hottest tap water, under hairdryer or whatever.

NB warn any member of the family who might have the midnight munchies ... (By heck, that samosa was a bit tough!)

Edited by - n/a on 21/12/2010 17:09:41
Go to Top of Page

CoN
Yearling

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  17:34:43  Show Profile  Visit CoN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

NB warn any member of the family who might have the midnight munchies ... (By heck, that samosa was a bit tough!)

LOL.
Im also doing it like BATS.

9.11.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
Feel free to join my Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527
Go to Top of Page

speedy231278
Hatchling

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  18:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about the fridge routine, so I'm not quite a daft as I thought. How long would you warm them in the water for, presumably until they feel about body temperature?

2.1.0 royals
1.2.0 corns
0.0.3 motorcycles
0.1.0 she who must be obeyed... ;-)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  19:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm... not that long - about 3 minutes or less ...at this time of the year the water's going to cool after that?

(And don't do what I once did, defrost in boiling to save time ...well done mouse! The snake was NOT amused ...)

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  19:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do same as BATS

quote:

(And don't do what I once did, defrost in boiling to save time ...well done mouse! The snake was NOT amused ...)

tasty, mouse explosion then was it?

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  19:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not as organized as bats n con. i'd forget to take out night before and there's no way the misses would have a rat in the fridge lol.
i just put rat in freezer bag and pop it in some warm water. once it's all soft n floppy either add some hot water or heat over with hair dryer. but yeh i always make sure
the rats nice n warm especially the head. bingo.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  20:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMac

I do same as BATS

quote:

tasty, mouse explosion then was it?

LOL - no, it was al dente - or al rubbery!

Edited by - n/a on 21/12/2010 20:20:52
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  20:33:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I get mine out in the morning to feed in the evening.

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  22:57:37  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried taking a fuzzie out in the morning and leaving out while I was at work but it smelt a bit funny when I got home. I prefer the warm water method, it's how I defrost my dinner too!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  13:35:57  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i just get mine out at about 2-3 oclock, and then feed ate 9-10 and they are always fully deforsted, i heat them up with a hair dryer

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  14:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Same here, i have an ice cream tub that i just leave on top of the viv's and allow them heat up from the vivs and also makes them get the smell so they are ready for food.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  14:49:28  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Same here, i have an ice cream tub that i just leave on top of the viv's and allow them heat up from the vivs and also makes them get the smell so they are ready for food.

that is a good idea, but if u feed outside the viv, that maybe not lol, as i would end up with a corn on my hand lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000