Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jo-jo-beans
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  23:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys and gals,
Since this is my first snakie viv, all comments and suggested improvements are greatly appreciated

The viv itself is 36x18x18 (ish). Temps are good, varies between 91 and 92 in the hot hide (black ice cream box where the stat probe is), and goes down to about 81-83 in the cool hide.

Hot side

Cool side - his fav hide, or rather the only one I've seen him in is the black box near the glass.

Got a piece of wood to scratch on, and also a large rock. Gonna get some more plants for the rest of the side and back walls, and also a vine or two for across the middle.

Only other thing i need to add is a moist hide, which will be going in in the next couple of days.

I realise that lots of people and care sheets recommend smaller homes for them, but since I couldn't get the temps in the RUB constant, I decided to pop him straight in the viv. Kinda thought that would be cool as long as he has lots of hides.

Anywhoos, I tend to ramble on, so I'm gonna stop there.

joanna

Royal Python - Sunshine
Argentine Black and White Tegu - Solomon
Bearded Dragon - Oliver
Hybrid Scottish Wildcat - Snowbo
Guinea Piggie - Daisy

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  23:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, yes, I personally like to give them lots of room and lots of hides, and, yes, they usually hang out in the cool side!

The only quibble I have (and will only apply when Sunshine's older and heavier) is, it's better to have a heavier water dish that he can't tip over - ceramic dog/cat dishes from Wilkinsons are great - exo-terra do realistic 'snake lakes' but these are expensive and fiddly to change and clean ...

Looks like a really great set up, and royal-friendly too! - bet he's content in there

Go to Top of Page

jo-jo-beans
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  23:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Hi, yes, I personally like to give them lots of room and lots of hides, and, yes, they usually hang out in the cool side!

The only quibble I have (and will only apply when Sunshine's older and heavier) is, it's better to have a heavier water dish that he can't tip over - ceramic dog/cat dishes from Wilkinsons are great - exo-terra do realistic 'snake lakes' but these are expensive and fiddly to change and clean ...

Looks like a really great set up, and royal-friendly too! - bet he's content in there

Thanks Lilith. yeah the bowl was the sturdiest thing I had to hand - was the one thing I had forgotten about (shame on me) so he's using a pie dish at the mo . I plan on getting one of the shallow earthenware type bowls, so that he can fit quite comfortably in it but also not skiddle everywhere. But I think I'll take a look in Wilkies for a dog bowl, and some longer tongs, just used my long tweezers, but I'm thinking another couple of inches of tong rather than Joanna hand would be good when feeding

Royal Python - Sunshine
Bearded Dragon - Oliver
Guinea Piggie - Daisy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  23:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool - Wilkinsons do cheap tongs (like the ones with the soft plastic grips) and their ceramic water bowls are the cheapest anywhere.

Apart from charity shops - Surahi, who is 4' has a stoneware casserole dish, very large, only fill it about 1/4 full, looks like a hipbath!

Go to Top of Page

jo-jo-beans
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  00:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Cool - Wilkinsons do cheap tongs (like the ones with the soft plastic grips) and their ceramic water bowls are the cheapest anywhere.

Apart from charity shops - Surahi, who is 4' has a stoneware casserole dish, very large, only fill it about 1/4 full, looks like a hipbath!

Aawww that sounds soooo cute!!!

Royal Python - Sunshine
Bearded Dragon - Oliver
Guinea Piggie - Daisy
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  00:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
viv looks great, yeh if he's a little one just make it nice and busy so there's always some cover near by.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

jo-jo-beans
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  02:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

viv looks great, yeh if he's a little one just make it nice and busy so there's always some cover near by.

Cheers Bob

Was also thinking about just draping some more plants over the hides.

Royal Python - Sunshine
Bearded Dragon - Oliver
Guinea Piggie - Daisy
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  09:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could do but once he's in the hide he'll feel secure. Unless you go through a lot of boxes it mint be easier to get some plastic or you know like the exo terra hides. Easier for cleaning and replacing. Cheap plastic plant pots or tubs are great. Have fun.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  21:07:16  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi jo,
Cosy set up, he should be happy there!
My florence seems to prefer her largest hide when i partialy cover the front of it in foliage. Its a bark hide directly under the heat lamp (red light) so i think the fact that the foliage blocks out the light helps.She looks so stealthy when she peeks out from under a bush!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  18:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there very nice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic