Handling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  21:55:12  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How often should I handle Kaa?
Would too much handling stress him out? My uncle just told me to handle him every night to make him less nervous (he handles his snake every evening) but im unsure as to wether it will make him neven more nervous than he is now...

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message. - Steve Irwin

Normal Royal Python - Kaa
Normal Royal Python - Donkey
Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  22:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll probably get a few different answers here. I wouldn't handle him until you've got him feeding regularly with you, 5+ feeds.
Each snake is different as well some don't mind others get stressed. I handle my lot about once or twice a week , usually when i clean the rub's so sometimes more for the younger ones.
I don't handle for up to 3 days after feeding and not the day before so you can se this cuts the time down. I use the handling time to check them all over as well and make them get a good stretch. I found that this keeps them tame enough plus doesn't stress them. If you have more than 1 snake as well it's good husbadry to use a hand solution such as F10 between snakes. I can see with mine if their happy to be out and have an explore about or not.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  22:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As Royalbob said you can normally tell if they're happy to be out or not :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  22:43:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really handle mine at all, maybe once a fortnight or when cleaning them out.

Yes, over handling can stress them out, but as above they are all individuals, some will tolerate it better than others.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  23:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I tend to handle at least 2-3 days after feeding, and when they're restless and banging at the viv door to come out. At this time of year that can be pretty infrequent. Obviously I go in to the viv for water changing/dump checking (though this latter is chiefly in the case of the corns) and bring them out for a quick check every week. I let them decide, really, and they're all very tame and laid back. As has been said, depends on the snake - they are all different.

I spent a very soothing New Year's Midnight with Spider (corn) roaming round having armchair walkies and going to sleep in my neck ...aah. Didn't get to bed till 1 because Spides was too comfy ...

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  08:55:29  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I handle flo 2 or 3 times a week normaly but not before or for 2 days after a feed. At the moment though as she is off her food, im not handling at all. I dont want to put her off her grub.

She does seem to enjoy her out of viv experiences, always keen to explore and eventualy will settle in the warmth of my lap....who needs cats?!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  18:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our snakes are owned by 2 kids ages 9 and 7... they play with the snakes. They sometimes do battlefield where they put each snake in their hides on each corner of the coffee table and that's their Castle and they have their plastic soldiers and tanks and such battling each other. The snakes are the kings...

So yeah, our snakes are handled almost every day except for 2 days after feeding or during shed. We've had the snakes for over 2 years so they just got used to it.

I wouldn't recommend it as good advice though. I don't mind it with our snakes because they haven't exhibited any harmful effects and the kids learn a lot on learning the different moods of the snakes this way. They can tell when one snake doesn't want any part of the activity at all and they leave him in the viv. So, yeah, I let them have fun with their "kings".

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  18:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there and welcome I myself am like Blackecho i only handle when cleaning and to check that there ok i only have 2 royals and a boa
my first abby she is 3yrs i have not seen out for about four weeks but i can see her in her hide shed is due but i will have a good look this weekend.
It will be feeding day to.But thay are all diff some like it and come out and some are very shy like my boa he is always out basking.
Have fun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000