hooray for this forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  18:22:16  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to pass on my thanks to all the contributing members of this forum,
Palins just had her 3rd feed and although both previous times she's struck and hit the head this time the mouse went down backside first, now as I'm sure many of you old hands can understand for a new keeper this could have been quite worrying, but thanks to reading this forum I knew to just let her try and get it down, even though it looked a little less graceful than normal. And just as everyone advised all was well and she's now back in her warm side hide sleeping of her big dinner. Thanks again, and don't stop contributing it all helps.

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  18:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you like this forum - so do I - I'd like to add my thanks because it has helped me so much too.

Didn't realise Palin was eating her mice backwards - Shahi used to do just the same thing when he was a baby. In truth I wonder if the conventional 'head first' method is because of the fact that, in the wild, the snake would have coiled round live prey and asphyxiated it before taking it down - hence the long wait for defrost prey to 'die'. It would make sense to take poor mousey down headfirst, just in case it wasn't quite killed?

Me, I always find it amusing when they get the prey wrong end round ... you know, wide-eyed, legless and rat-posteriored ...

Edited by - n/a on 05/01/2011 18:33:55
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  19:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks as well. This forum's also taught me loads.
They just know it's easier head first because of the direction of the prey's fur and limbs. Backward folding limbs less chance of scratching etc.
There was a study done somewhere to see if it was fur direction or scent or shape that made them recognize the head.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  16:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

Thanks as well. This forum's also taught me loads.
They just know it's easier head first because of the direction of the prey's fur and limbs. Backward folding limbs less chance of scratching etc.
There was a study done somewhere to see if it was fur direction or scent or shape that made them recognize the head.

what was the outcome?

im really enjoying this and all its sister forums! really informative and loadsa friendly people! what more could we want!?

1.0.0 royal "ophion"
1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
0.1.0 coastal carpet python- "serendipity"
0.1.0 bunny rabbit (?) "Truffle"

RIP Prisma Pequeno- Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  18:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Glad you like this forum - so do I - I'd like to add my thanks because it has helped me so much too.

Didn't realise Palin was eating her mice backwards - Shahi used to do just the same thing when he was a baby. In truth I wonder if the conventional 'head first' method is because of the fact that, in the wild, the snake would have coiled round live prey and asphyxiated it before taking it down - hence the long wait for defrost prey to 'die'. It would make sense to take poor mousey down headfirst, just in case it wasn't quite killed?

Me, I always find it amusing when they get the prey wrong end round ... you know, wide-eyed, legless and rat-posteriored ...

I feed live (yea, dang Americans. LOL!) and the snake detects the heartbeat on the rat. It doesn't stop constricting until that heartbeat is stopped. So yeah, the rat is definitely dead.

I don't quite know for sure what makes them detect the head. I know my royals will sniff around the entire rat until it finds the nose then it starts to swallow. Sometimes, it takes them a long time to find the head so they end up munching from other parts of the body - I've had it once before where my spider bp (he's the only one who has eaten rats the wrong side first) ate from the thigh side of the rat and had to fold the rat really wierd to get it to fit in. That was major wierd...

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: