Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  18:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soloman

Is the smell ov a mouse enough to tempt him out of his hide or shud I move it or wait till he out and wot if he don't come out:)

Hi, no easy answer to this, I'm afraid, as they're all different. I bought Shahi as a strike feeder, and after a very slow start, he did begin to strike feed, and I would bring him out of the viv, put him in a rub, dangle his meal in front of him with tongs ...grab! Saada has always been fed in-viv, and so I put a pet feeding mat down on top of substrate, stick ratty on top of it, put a hide on top of ratty, replace Saada ...Surahi I've never seen feed. I was told she was pretty obliging with strike or leaving mousey in viv. She likes it left in with her, in strict privacy ...

Some people defrost the prey in-viv (in a closed plastic box) so as to tempt the snake with the nice smell. Others like to surprise the snake with a freshly warmed mouse ... it really does depend on the snake, and as you get to know your little guy you'll find out what he does like.

Have you been told anything about his eating habits/likes, because then it's a good idea to keep to that.

Sorry if all this is a bit overwhelming. Most babies get one whiff of their meal and they grab it and that's it! I would say as a general rule, let him stay in his hide, where he feels secure, and dangle the warmed prey in front of the hide with tongs (as long as any substrate is covered up to keep it from coating his meal) and see if he will take. If not, leave the prey at the mouth of the hide to see if he will come and take it. (Don't hover too much though - says I who hover all the time - naughty!)

All the best and good luck with his first feed.

Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  18:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx for info when I bought him he said I will jump out of my skin the first time and that he is a good feeder so will give it a go:)

Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  19:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if the viv fails cud i use a shallow cardboard box with kitchen roll for a rub?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  19:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

if the viv fails cud i use a shallow cardboard box with kitchen roll for a rub?

Sounds like he's going to be okay, but yes, anything that contains him will be okay, but not too shallow - one minute they're all balled up, but it's amazing how high they can reach - they can nearly stand on their tails, bless them!

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  20:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seems to be scared of it lol

Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  20:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like mousey spending the night in the viv

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  20:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya, lovely royal. Did he have a week to settle in? Are your temps and gradients and humidity ok? Are you feeding the same prey he was on in the shop? Just a few ideas.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  21:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no i havent given him a week to settle and temps are fine and im buying food from the same shop maybe i should give him another week would that be a good idea?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  21:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

no i havent given him a week to settle and temps are fine and im buying food from the same shop maybe i should give him another week would that be a good idea?

Hi, yes, it's a good idea to give them a week to settle in - but there again, loads of people have fed straight away and the snake has taken the prey. If he hasn't fed this time, don't worry. He's a royal - he won't starve. You could leave the mouse in the viv overnight (shame to waste a mouse) but make sure he can't drag it into any substrate. Otherwise, just leave him for another 7 days, and try him again. He'll get there!

Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  21:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
brilliant thx for the info will leave in tonight and if he still there tomorrow will give him another 7 days:)

Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  13:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well little mousey made it through the night so gonna give it another week me thinks and mousey can go out for the cats:)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  13:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, pity, fingers crossed for next week, let us know how you go on.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  15:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh keep us posted. let him settle in. you'll see he develops a little routine. i find it's always worth asking how they where fed before. such as was the food left in or wriggled around, how was it warmed up etc. There's even some that apparently only eat a certain color. one of mine prefers being in the hide when i offer as if she's ambushing it. others leap at the rat as soon as i open the rub and one will strike one week and the next i have to leave it in the rub then it's gone in 10mins. All different.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  18:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he isn't scared too much he will definitely come out. When I was feeding mine for the first time he grabbed the mouse and took into his (her) hide but after one hour I found it there. When I took him out and gave him another chance he didn't have any problems.
Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  19:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah thx sure he will eat when he is ready, thinking of ditching the heat mat wots the best heat source i could replace it with if you could do me a little list i will price it up and save some pennys:)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  20:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

yeah thx sure he will eat when he is ready, thinking of ditching the heat mat wots the best heat source i could replace it with if you could do me a little list i will price it up and save some pennys:)

Hi, you will need:

Screw fitting bulb socket, flex and plug
Infra red bulb (and spare bulb - Robert's just posted about how it's a good idea to keep spares of everything in.)
Dimmer thermostat
Bulb guard
I'm assuming you'll have a thermometer already.

Or you can use a non-light emitting ceramic bulb, which wll need a pulse proportional stat (I don't know much about these.) And fitting and spare bulb and guard.

I like Blue Lizard but other people like Ebay, where they will probably be cheaper (just never got my head round Ebay lol.)

Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  20:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
infra red sounds good seem to see alot of them in photos will do a bit of price comparison thx

Go to Top of Page

soloman
Hatchling

62 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  20:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry no im a pain in the ass but can i put java branch in viv?

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  20:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

yes you can, and don't worry about asking if your not sure it is always better to ,ake sure

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  20:28:30  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

i ahve a piece for sale, and yes you can

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000