Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  22:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

Following on from the thread about rubs, I have a question. How do you heat the 64L rubs that your adult royals are in?

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  23:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't you prefer a nice 2 or 3 foot vivarium to be able to display your beautiful snake?

I know I've a IR bulb and dimming stat for 24 hour heat. Mats are no good cos royals are big heffers. I know of ceramic heaters too but I know very little about them other than they exist.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  03:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy ho!

For the 64L RUBs I use this undertank heater (UTH) http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=113&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1

sized for 10-20gal controlled by a thermostat.

I don't peel the sticker from the UTH. I adhere it to the bottom of the RUB (outside) using aluminum tape.

For my 4L RUBs I use this 3" flexwatt (heat tape) http://www.proexotics.com/store/product.php?productid=16194.
I use aluminum tape to adhere a 2-foot strip of flexwatt on a piece of melamine plywood and then put 3 4L RUBs side-by-side on top of it.

I used to have the snakes in a glass enclosure (kinda like an aquarium except designed for reptiles) and it looked amazing but it is more difficult to maintain this enclosure in Florida where humidity can go down to almost zero. A wooden viv would have the same problem and it is more difficult to clean.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 12/01/2011 04:01:38
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  04:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Wouldn't you prefer a nice 2 or 3 foot vivarium to be able to display your beautiful snake?

I cut out one side of the RUB and attach a piece of plexiglass onto it to make a display case. It looks awesome.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  07:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I know I've a IR bulb and dimming stat for 24 hour heat. Mats are no good cos royals are big heffers. I know of ceramic heaters too but I know very little about them other than they exist.

I will later on be using a viv for any royals I have but I will start them off in rubs. Once they are too heavy for heat mats I will move them into a viv and use a ceramic bulb.

I just wondered how the 64L rub was heated. It actually looks really nice with the viewing window too. Here's the link to the pic:

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4981

anatess, thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  11:53:00  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think everyone on here uses rubs when they are little, but a 64 litre rub seems very big for a baby (if that's what ur getting)
Like anatess sed, just use a heat mat under the rub

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  14:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

I think everyone on here uses rubs when they are little, but a 64 litre rub seems very big for a baby (if that's what ur getting)
Like anatess sed, just use a heat mat under the rub

No no no lol

I'm getting a 9L rub for the baby

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  17:23:17  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh ok lol, so u will be housing your baby in a 9l, and then when older putting it in a viv lol

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  17:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But snake on the Anatess picture doesn't look like a baby at all and that RUB seems to be huge too. I'm surprised that heat mat didn't burn the snake.
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  17:53:17  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by konrad1982

But snake on the Anatess picture doesn't look like a baby at all and that RUB seems to be huge too. I'm surprised that heat mat didn't burn the snake.

it is an adult royal (or sub adult) in a 64 litre rub, and the mat was probably stated

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 12/01/2011 17:53:36
Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  18:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

oh ok lol, so u will be housing your baby in a 9l, and then when older putting it in a viv lol

Yeah, will maybe go up a few rub sizes then go for a viv.

I'm so excited I can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  20:03:27  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i now, its so exciting getting a new snake, im excited to be maybe getting one this year lol
i love keeping mine in vivs, and i like to design them and make them look lovely with nice pieces of wood and stuff, thats one thing i will always do, i will always consider my next snake as already being in a 3ft viv, if i cannot fit another 3ft viv in, then no snakey lol

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  22:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WARNING TO EVERYBODY:

NEVER USE A UTH OR HEAT MAT OR HEAT TAPE WITHOUT A THERMOSTAT OR RHEOSTAT (dimmer), regardless of the type of viv.

Thanks!

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal

Edited by - anatess on 12/01/2011 22:16:54
Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  07:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i now, its so exciting getting a new snake, im excited to be maybe getting one this year lol
i love keeping mine in vivs, and i like to design them and make them look lovely with nice pieces of wood and stuff, thats one thing i will always do, i will always consider my next snake as already being in a 3ft viv, if i cannot fit another 3ft viv in, then no snakey lol

I think that's were some people go wrong and why you see so many people selling snakes that are a few years old. It's all very well buying cute little snakes that fit into little tubs but like you say, you have to remember that they will grow and most will need a 3ft viv minimum.

Luckily I have plenty of room in both my bedroom and living room for quite a few large vivs, even 4ft ones so I can get quite a few snakes
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  14:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by louise32

quote:

I think that's were some people go wrong and why you see so many people selling snakes that are a few years old. It's all very well buying cute little snakes that fit into little tubs but like you say, you have to remember that they will grow and most will need a 3ft viv minimum.

Luckily I have plenty of room in both my bedroom and living room for quite a few large vivs, even 4ft ones so I can get quite a few snakes

All but the largest female royals only need a 3ft viv MAX.
vivs are aesthetically pleasing to the human eye not to the snakes.
Royals in particular do incredibly well in R.U.B type set ups.
viv vs rub is human preference not the snakes.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  16:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob
All but the largest female royals only need a 3ft viv MAX.
vivs are aesthetically pleasing to the human eye not to the snakes.
Royals in particular do incredibly well in R.U.B type set ups.
viv vs rub is human preference not the snakes.

Actually, viv versus RUB is completely for the snake's preference, not mine. Okay, here was my set-up before:

It is aesthetically pleasing to me but I can't keep stable temps and humidity in that viv. It is just too sensitive to the outside environment. If it was left up to me, I'd rather have this viv! But, my snakes sometimes shed in pieces and what-not, so I had to do something about it.

So, I moved them to the RUB and ever since then everything has been perfect. Humidity and temps are stable in the same environment that the viv was in. Complete sheds and everything. But, because I still need to make it aesthetically pleasing for me, then I made the RUB into a display case like this:

So... it's the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS... for me and the snakes.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  18:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't agree more. was just trying to point out that a lot of people are against rubs but usually only for 2 points. 1 being the space they provide and the other is how they look on the eye. The first point of space is that rub sizes are actually perfect for royals and the 2nd point of decor is a space is a space. You can decorate a rub exactly as you would a viv plus have the same if not much better viewing angles as you have showed. As i said before i love your set up and it's given me some great ideas. mine used to be in vivs then moved them to rubs and as you say the control over their habitat is so much easier. As well as cleaning etc. sorry if last post was a bit confusing.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  18:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

Couldn't agree more. was just trying to point out that a lot of people are against rubs but usually only for 2 points. 1 being the space they provide and the other is how they look on the eye. The first point of space is that rub sizes are actually perfect for royals and the 2nd point of decor is a space is a space. You can decorate a rub exactly as you would a viv plus have the same if not much better viewing angles as you have showed. As i said before i love your set up and it's given me some great ideas. mine used to be in vivs then moved them to rubs and as you say the control over their habitat is so much easier. As well as cleaning etc. sorry if last post was a bit confusing.

It's my Floridian understanding that makes it confusing. LOL! One of these days, I'm gonna have to go visit England and see what y'all got over there!

In the USA, I tell people, hey, you gotta check out the RUB and they would say, the WHAT?

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal

Edited by - anatess on 13/01/2011 18:30:43
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  18:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol. Think you guys have got a lot more over there. My dad used to live in brooklyn NY and my grandad lives in kissimmee. still love my cold, rainy london though

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  19:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I'm part Irish (among other things) so I've CERTAINLY got some American relatives out there, as well as the horse dealers and Sinn Feiners in Dublin - and my new nephew in law is African American from El Paso (he met my niece in Japan and now they're in California lol!) Uh, I'm just here in sunny Wakefield ...

I just have to say that I have no prejudices against keeping snakes in large plastic boxes - in fact it's more private for the snake, and you can still give them loads of room if you are, like me, a fan of plenty of room, plenty of hides. BUT - in a scruffy terraced house full of draughts, where a room can't be heated to an acceptable ambient temp for rubs, it has to be vivs in my case ...

This is a good thread though, been following it with interest.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  19:27:25  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i fully agree, i like the look of vivs, and would always choose vivs over rubs, but if it came to it and the snakes were better off in rubs, i would happily put them in rubs, i would of course have to make the rubs look as nice as i can lol, but would happily put them in them

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000