Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  21:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kissimee is only 2 hours drive from me. Shorter if my husband drives.

I don't know why RUBs aren't popular here. It's a pretty cool box for anything. Ever since you guys introduced me to the RUB, I've been using it for more than just the snakes. I moved my filing system into RUBs, my box of photos, my old textbooks.

It is just sooo sturdy and stacks perfectly! There's only a few sizes available at Staples/Office Depot so I had to order them online and they're expensive to ship! When I get the chance, I'm going to take down everything I got in the attic (Christmas decorations, etc.) and move them to RUBs too.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  01:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like you've got some visiting to do bats. love having family in nice locations. i visited kissimee when i was about 10 so not much memory unfortunately.

like i said i had vivs then as my collection grew i moved one into a rub and saw how well the snake done. Also how well the rub maintained the temps and humidity. The snake just looked and behaved like it was more secure. I also traded bark for kitchen roll, again not as pleasing on the eye to some but i love that clean look. If any crawling nasties got in i could spot em a mile off. I also never need to spot clean just whip the whole lot out bin it, wash rub and pop snakey back in. 5mins. What can i say i shortly after put all mine in rubs and there doing great. Dont get me wrong i love a nicely set up viv i just find rubs much easier for me and the snake.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  07:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

looks like you've got some visiting to do bats. love having family in nice locations. i visited kissimee when i was about 10 so not much memory unfortunately.

like i said i had vivs then as my collection grew i moved one into a rub and saw how well the snake done. Also how well the rub maintained the temps and humidity. The snake just looked and behaved like it was more secure. I also traded bark for kitchen roll, again not as pleasing on the eye to some but i love that clean look. If any crawling nasties got in i could spot em a mile off. I also never need to spot clean just whip the whole lot out bin it, wash rub and pop snakey back in. 5mins. What can i say i shortly after put all mine in rubs and there doing great. Dont get me wrong i love a nicely set up viv i just find rubs much easier for me and the snake.

I have just ordered some rubs for my new snakes. I also use kitchen roll and like you say it's so easy to clean up any mess.

So if I was to keep any royals in rubs once bigger is it ok to use a heat mat then? I'm just a bit confussed as I though you shouldn't use them for big bodied adults? Tbh, I would prefer a large rub for an adult royal, as like you have both said, I think it would be easier to keep the conditions just right but I thought they would have to go into a vivarium when bigger so to switch from a heat mat to a bulb.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  10:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All my adults are either in 33l or 50l rubs bearing in mind the largest is 2kg. The thing with rubs is creating the right ambient temperature. Mine are kept in a room which is maintained between 76-80F. The hot spot is created using heat mats and maintained at 88-91F. Thermal blocking occurs when a heavy bodied snake lies directly on a heat mat for a long time. With a rub there is always that small gap between the rub and the mat so i fail to see how this could happen. humidity is maintained by water bowl size and placement. It's at 55-60% and raised when shedding to up to 75% for approx 2 days with the use of moss.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  11:08:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, they're fine if underneath the RUB, you just don't want the snake lying directly on them.

Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  11:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both, that's put my mind at rest.

I think I feel just about ready for my Royal lol although still got a few weeks (months but weeks sounds less) till my birthday :(

Got 2 new corns on the way next week too so I'm so happy right now :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000