Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  09:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've posted a thread asking for general into on Royals but this is more specific .
I have only ever kept Corn snakes and I always feed them in separate containers outside their viv , mainly because when I first got started I read loads of reports if snakes striking randomly when they put their hand in the viv , presumably thinking it was feeding time . So I gave always taken them out if their viv and simply place them in a plastic tub with thrill warmed up mice .

My question is can / should I do the same with my new baby Royal ??

I would really appreciate a lot of feedback and opinions on this matter as it's my only real concern about my new little Royal .

Grunt
Hatchling

53 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  09:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said in your other question ... this seems to be a very split opinion. I'm certainly no expert but I've read loads over the past couple of months and some say feed in the viv, others say don't feed in the viv. All you will get is the opinion of the individual posting the answer.

0.1.0 Normal
1.1.0 Cats
1.0.1 Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  14:11:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I feed all mine in the viv and I believe the snake mistaking a hand for a rat to be a falicy. They've developed their heightened senses over millions of years, I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference.

The only thing with feeding in the viv is the worry of ingestion if using a substrate such as Orchid Bark.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  14:17:26  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i feed in the viv, because my snakes feel more confertable feeding in the viv, i just watch very closely to make sure no substrate is ingested

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  15:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose I could always put the df mouse on a little saucer or dish or something , so no orchid bark is ingested with the food .
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  16:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed 2 of mine in RUBS and one in the viv,

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  16:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feed the little ones in the rubs because they have paper substrate but I feed the big ones outside their vivs because, well I like to watch to be honest, but also the whole substrate thing.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  16:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I believe the snake mistaking a hand for a rat to be a falicy. They've developed their heightened senses over millions of years, I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference. The only thing with feeding in the viv is the worry of ingestion if using a substrate such as Orchid Bark.

Python-wise I have to agree, they are very aware of what is in front of them.

I am still worrying over feeding, well worrying is a bit strong, I have not gone through feeding yet. The guy at the reptile shop said he fed Duke by placing him in a small tub with the weaner rat and leaving him overnight. I hope to not have to leave him all night but its a learning process and great to have a starting point. Each snake is different, but the person you get the snake off will hopefully have an idea of what kind of feeder your snake is and where you go from there is entirely upto the snake.

Edited by - Lotabob on 15/01/2011 16:24:31
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  16:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zincubus

I suppose I could always put the df mouse on a little saucer or dish or something , so no orchid bark is ingested with the food .

I've tried this. Perhaps my snakes wrestle mice for a hobby, but the awkward little gits dragged mousey straight off the dish ... facepalm ...(And that was just the corn hatchlings lol.)

My Saada, who came two months ago via Preloved, has always been fed in her viv. I clear cold end of viv, lift up exoterra hide, lift up Saada, cover substrate with doggy feeding mat (can also use a piece of lino) put ratty in, cover ratty with hide, replace Saada. IF I'm lucky she won't leg it to the hot end with the notion of eating a crunchy coated ratty!

Surahi came 6 weeks ago, also via PL - was told she was pretty obliging re feeding. What she likes is to be skulking in one of her seagrass or cardboard boxes, and have her food slipped in with her, and not to be watched.

Shahi came to me as a hatchling. Because of the worry about substrate I accustomed him to feed in a rub, from tongs (he's a striker.) If he's up on his climbing branch he likes to strike rom there but I have to keep a sharp eye out for the silk leaves after the day one somehow got dragged into his mouth ...

They are all different, eh?

(Well, that's what usually happens ... at this time of the year all 3 have just joined the ranks of funny feeders ... well, they're royals ...)

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  19:06:10  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feed in the viv, i think if i were to take her out, feed her elsewhere, put her back... hassle and stress and not good for digestion. I put a sheet of paper over the substate so it cant be ingested.

I know of owners of larger and more tricky pythons to have problems with food association but never heard of it with royals.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  20:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed all mine in there rub's where they live. It's where there hide is, it's where their comfortable and secure.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  22:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can actually see both sides of the argument which isn't that helpful tbh

I'll probably start feeding her in the viv as she is used to that way , if I get tagged I can always swap to a feeding container.

The breeder feeds her in her RUB but then again they don't handle their snakes at all, though.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  22:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if that's what she's used to, feeding in her rub, I'd definitely do that. Like my Saada, that's what she likes so have gone along with that. As far as i'm concerned, what snakey wants, snakey gets ... spoilt little gits eh???

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  13:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What i do (when she decides to eat) is put a couple o bits of kitchen roll down before i feed her so she cant get any aspen on the mouse. Works fine unless she's feeling shy n takes it into her hide to eat which totally amazes me how she manages it in there. Got to keep watch to make sure its away because she comes out to get her jaw back to normal

0.1.0 Royal Normal - Orlina Bodhi Lobsang
1.0.0 Royal Normal - Sedrick Rinzen Sonam
2.0.0 Cats 18 y/o - Monty, kitten - Dodger
2.0.0 Border Collie's 7 y/o - Jinky, 2 y/o - Chance
0.0.5 Goldfish - Haggis, Pookie, Oddball, Spongebob and Slimey (kids eh lol)
Strange creature, unknown species, wife likes to call it "teenage daughter"

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  14:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Blackecho.

Look at this logically. If you feed in the viv then when you put your hand in it could be for feeding, spot cleaning, water changing, handling or any other reason you can think of. There is no reason at all for snakey to assume that your hand means food as he'll be used to the fact the most of the time it doesn't. Plus, as BE said, they can tell the difference between you and a rat.

Also, have a look at RFUK where there's a mixture of species. This debate only ever really comes up about corns and royals, anyone with a big boa or python is happily feeding in the viv and not getting noshed.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

speedy231278
Hatchling

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  14:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an in-viv feeder. Generally I try to make sure the rat is sat on one of the bark hides to try and avoid it collecting any bark, but even with my corns who get a mouse slung in onto the substrate bark ingestion has never been an issue. As long as the food isn't damp, the bark will very rarely attach itself to the fur in my experience.

So far I've not been seen as dinner. Well, my corn has gives me the odd funny look every now and then, but she's a greedy little bugger who I'm sure would keep wolfing down mice until the local shops all ran out... lol

2.1.0 royals
1.2.0 corns
0.0.3 motorcycles
0.1.0 she who must be obeyed... ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  16:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's on small white standard mice at the moment , how will I know when to move her up medium then large mice and eventually onto rat pups .

Corn snakes usually feed on one and a half times the thickest part of their body, as I understand. .... but Royals feed on rodents the same thickness as their bodies. . Is that roughly correct. I realise that Royals have a much thicker body shape.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  16:31:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mine have rat pups/pinks from hatching.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  17:47:13  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zincubus

She's on small white standard mice at the moment , how will I know when to move her up medium then large mice and eventually onto rat pups .

Corn snakes usually feed on one and a half times the thickest part of their body, as I understand. .... but Royals feed on rodents the same thickness as their bodies. . Is that roughly correct. I realise that Royals have a much thicker body shape.

rat pups are roughly the same size as a small mouse, so going small mouse, med mouse, large mouse, rat pup, u will drop in size dramatically when u go from large mouse to rat pup, if i was u i would try and get ur royal on rats as soon as poss as sometimes it can be hard to convert them.

one thing that i can say about feeding in viv and having the worry of being bitten as that everytime i feed the royals the way they now that they are going to be fed is the fact that i heat up the rats with the hair dryer, so they can smell the rat and they all come out there hides.
when i out my hand in, there is no smell of rat at all so they dont really even move unless they want to be handled. i have never had a prob with feeding in the viv, and i have done that for just over 2 years now with my corn

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  20:49:24  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think another valid point is that if you wash your hands after feeding and always befor handling then you wont smell of food unless you are offering it.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  20:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Mine have rat pups/pinks from hatching.