Page: of 2

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  12:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

I gaffa tape the thermostat probe to the mat across the heating strips. Then place the rub directly on top of the thermostat probe and mat. This way the thermostat probe is not going anywhere. Place the thermometer probe in the rub at substrate level beside the hot hide. Turn up stat to almost full keeping an eye on the temp reading from the digital thermometer. Once the correct temp is reached turn the dial on the stat down until it switches off. A bit of fine tuning and it should be sorted. The problem with putting the stat probe in the Rub is that the snake itself can lie on it causing the stat probe to be reading completely the wrong temp. Hope this helps.

That's essentially exactly what we did on Saturday, although the stat probe isn't under the rub, it's next to it, taped to the mat. We had the correct temps inside the rub for about 36-48 hours and then all went haywire again on Monday. Maybe we should put the probe under the rub so that ambient temp isn't interfering with it's readings?
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  12:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh it just helps with external temp fluctuations. On my rack i taped the probe to the mat the covered the probe with a small hollow block. might be a bit extreme but it works.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

suzie q
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  11:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having difficulty with temp inside my rub. Got a stat attatched to the mat but the stat probe is inside the rub but my question is where should I be putting it?? Outside or inside and the temp inside the rub is noway near what it should be. I want to sort out this problem quickly as I've got a spider royal who's not happy inside a viv and an albino coming next week which will also be going inside of another rub. Pretty new to this and already had some really good advice so far. Really want to get this right would hate for the snakes to get stressed because I'm messing up :)

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  15:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Firstly, relax, snakes are tough sons of b*****s and they won't break apart quick.

I stick my probe outside as im using 1 heat mat for 3 rubs, if I open and close 1 rub the temperature will change and it'll adversely effect the other 2 rubs if the probe is inside.

However with just 1 thermostat per rub I see no reason you couldn't put the probe inside- I find that it doesn't really matter as the probe is always so "off" that I end up relying on my thermometer and just having to achnowledge that 32 on the thermostat is actually 28.

Short answer: inside is fine for 1 rub

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  15:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi suzie q. I use really Useful boxes in a rack system. If i was setting up a single rub this is how i would do it. R.u.B's are great because they have ridges in the bottom where the stat probe fits in nice.

1. place the mat on wood or polystyrene block
2. Gaffa tape the thermostat probe directly to the heat strips on the mat.
3. place the rub directly on top of the stat probe and heat mat so that the mat covers 1/3 to max of 1/2 of rub.
4. The thermometer probe goes inside the rub at substrate level next to the hot hide.
5. Set the thermostat according to the thermometer reading NOT the readings on the thermostat.
6. easiest way is to turn the thermostat up full, wait till temp in rub is reached then turn down the stat just till it switches off. a little bit of tweaking and done.

hope that helps ya.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

suzie q
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  15:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, ATM just got the 1 rub but will be setting up another over the weekend so will take the probe out and put it on the mat outside.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  15:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with placing the stat probe in the rub is that a cold snake lying on a thermostat probe will cause the mat to continue heating up pass the recomended temp. You want the stat probe where the reading is going to be constant.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave