Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Will ratty get it tonight?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  22:25:53  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After 5 weeks of fasting followed by a shed, flo has only eaten 1 mouse in the last 2 months so i just set the mood, low lights, large mouse for starters followed by a mouse flavoured rat.
Well, the mouse went down a treat, she nearly took my hand off! She missed my hand and the mouse and then took another gruelling 10mins to take it, meanwhile i sat, scared to move, numb bum in an odd position on the floor, convinced i would disturb her if i even blinked.

Now for the rat....she is torturing me! hovering as if to strike then recoiling, all the signs are there but then she seems to lose interest only to take up the task again. This is going to be a long night!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

Edited by - sandi on 31/01/2011 22:26:33

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  22:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, they know how to put us through it.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  22:56:49  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tell me about it! I'm still sat here, in the dark! should be in bed but im now an insomniac as well as a lunatic, hubby has lost all hope!!!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  23:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, Been there, straining my eyes in the dark accross the room for what seemed like hours. Best I saw was a nose poking out of the hide a yawn and then back into hiding.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  23:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sandy, did you defrost em together. was the rat the same size/ color of the mouse? All little tricks to fool em.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  07:59:26  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i hope she fed for you lol, and eventually took that rat
i ahve been there for 30 mins waiting for them lol
they know how to make you wait lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  08:41:30  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The rat was still there this morning and so was Flo, still looking like she was guarding it! I took it out and she came out to greet me, that made me feel a bit happier!

The rat was defrosted with the mouse and rubbed together a bit to transfer smell. It was bigger than the mouse though so maybe that put her off?

Will try again on friday or saturday but i think i will just give her 2 mice to make sure she eats enough as one mouse only weighs about 25 - 30g.

She was on rats befor her fasting period so hopefuly she will get back on to rats in the spring. Meanwhile i just want her to eat a good meal.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  08:54:41  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ye the rat being bigger than the mouse could have put her off, best way to do it to have the rat slighlty smaller than the mouse so it is easiet to eat, which will give them the taste

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000