New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  18:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told to put Duke in a box with the rat and leave over night. With the box only just big enough for snake and rat.

Is this the best way about feeding, It hasn't worked last week in a clear tub so this time I've poked a load of holes in a small cardboard box and he is in there now. I am supposed to leave him overnight in there but I can't help but think its wrong (I've had a fair bit of wrong info off these guys).

HELP!

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  18:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt leave a royal out of the home he is used to overnight particularly in a small box that is only big enough for the rat and the royal, there is nowhere for it to get away from the rat if it wants so will just add to the stess.

I dont see the problem in leaving the rat in the viv for the royal overnight, this is what i have to do with one of my royals.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Edited by - GMac on 30/01/2011 18:59:27
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  19:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See I thought that too, He is in the viv in a box, why not just put the rat in the viv. OK that racks upp another bit of how did you put it MUCH information lol. I'll rescue the guy now and put the rat under one of the hides.

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  19:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put it on the cool hide, not in the hide. It keeos it off the substrate

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  19:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also from cooking and stinking in the morning if not eaten.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  19:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK will do. Cheers, explains a lot, every bit of information I got about this royal from the shop I paid good money to has been wrong. Boycot is in order.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  21:06:58  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
best you dont go back i think!
I give Flo her rats in her viv, on the cool side, normaly as late in the eve as i can cope with staying up! If she dont take it straight away then i leave them till morn. Then if they still exist i bin them.

I dont think its needed to feed in a separate box unless the individual snake requires it.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  21:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will give it a try that way, I will put the food in just before bed and give him the night of peace to eat it. I doubt it will work tonight after everything today but next week I can hope and dream.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  21:33:57  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hmm, if there's been some disturbance then its not likely to be dinner night! Flo will get her royal platter delivered tomorrow as i cleaned her viv out yesterday so dont want to push my luck by feeding tonight. I expect to be appreciated tomorrow though!!!
I do believe that feeding in the viv gives them a sense of security without disturbing them and im all for that.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  21:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know what, so am I. Makes sense really specially with a really shy snake like Duke. I now have the setup right, temperatures right, and food size right so it has to be feeding method I'm getting wrong so I'll give this method a go, I think in theory its the most likely to work. I also think his belly is looking a bit faded and washed out so I may also be dealing with a shed on its way.

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  21:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it may not be just down to feeding technique, its an animal not a science so normal rules don't apply there are too many variable, may be its just not settled enough to feed yet so please dont assume its down to your feeding technique.

Has only been a few weeks it will eat when its ready and settled.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  22:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I know, My corn for no good reason refused his food tonight so that was just him making that choice. Its just one of the things snake keeping throws at you, I'm sure it is doing my nerves more damage than harm to the snake, he (Duke) hasnt lost any weight, still looks healthy, I just like to know that its not my fault, once that variable is removed (as I'm sure its been my fault so far, not gonna dwell, just is what it is) I can relax. I know now though that I have or will be doing everything that is required from me, so its not me as a cause.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  22:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And then stop again for no reason. I think until we've dealt with it a few times we tend to beat ourseves up thinking it's us that's doing something wrong. I had my albino since she was 95g. she ate every week without fail. then got to about 1200g this winter and just stopped for no reason. I hadn't changed anything. It's just part of their cycle.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  22:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know these guys are likely to fast from time to time, I can deal with that, I trhink its just that he hasn't eaten at all with me and I have had a few setup problems and bad advice from the reptile shop so I'll be happy if he just takes 1 meal then he can fast again until March if he wants.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  22:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup. You said it. It's what royals do.

Look on the bright side. Fatboy Slim, I mean Duke, isn't some little bootlace who's going to fade away overnight!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  22:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True he is a right chunky monkey.

Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  07:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

When I first got my royal it didn't feed. Then the shop I got said to try rubbing the mouse on a chick to get the smell across and he gobbled it up straight away. After a couple of weeks of this I working I then tried without the chick smell and he didnt want to know. I then moved on to dipping the head of the mouse into warm water and heating the head up a bit works a treat! no more rubbing dead mice on to dead chicks anymore, which just feels so wrong lol.

I dont know if you have already tried either of these but they worked with mine who had not eaten for three weeks.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  09:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a great sticky on feeding here.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee