Urghh! Need advise :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  17:13:59  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wellll where do I start?
Kaa still hasn't eaten for around 4 months, so last weekend I went to my local reptile shop where I got him from and decided to ask them what might be the problem as they are supposed to be the "professionals" after all. They told me to try something smaller as Kaa has seemed to shy away from his food, so he gave me some rat wieners.. Bearing in mind Kaa is still on mice I thought this might be a problem with switching him over. He also said that he shouldn't be on a fast because 1) hes very small weighing in at 225grams and they tend to want to 'get big quick' and 2) He's too young to be breeding. Anyway I offered him a rat wiener on tuesday and he seemed very interested in it and looked as if he was going to strike at any time, but after about 40 seconds of eyeing it up he decided not to strike and turned away, i carried on trying, but no luck. What could be the problem?

Anddddd yesterday I got my boyfriend to fit my new infrared bulb, bulb guard and dimming stat. After fiddling around a bit with the settings i found out that it doesnt get hot enough in the viv even with the stat on full blast.. Its around 30.2 in the hot end and a very cold temp of 24 at the cool end... What should I do? The infrared bulb is a 70 watt, should I try a 100 watt instead?

Pictures of the viv can be provided if you would like to take a little look at the set up?
Thanks for the help

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message. - Steve Irwin

Normal Royal Python - Kaa
Normal Royal Python - Donkey
Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  18:22:20  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well with the feeding, a rat weaner is very large, my male that is just over 400 grams is just going onto rat weaners, so to me if your royal is 225 then he should be taking rat fuzzies/chubs, or if he refuses them i would try rat pups. what mice was he taking before he started fasting??
with the heating, yes i would move up to a 100 watt bulb if the temps are not getting high enough, what is the size of the viv?
and a few pics would help of the setup

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  18:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just bought 2 rat pups to hope that Duke will eat (Duke is 473grams), and they fast whenever they please even when young. As long as you are monitoring weight and there is no significant loss then just keep offering but to save a bit of cash and reduce waste change to fortnightly attempts(I'm about to do that if I have no luck this weekend). But 4 months, I can totally understand why its getting to you.

On the heat side, give it a bit of time to heat everything up, I use 75 watts in a 2 foot viv and its gives a perfect heat gradient, also just check your probes are all in the right place etc before thinking about investing in another bulb (though if you do I reccommend komodo IR bulbs)

Edited by - Lotabob on 04/02/2011 18:24:15
Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  19:53:33  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah sorry, my mistake, rat pups i tried. He was taking adult mice before he started his fast once every 7 days.
The viv is 24x12x15 inches.. Pictures will be up very soon :)
Lotabob i might do that, and yeah 4 months is really got to me considering ive had him about 5 months, he has also shed during his fast too.
Where should the probes be?

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message. - Steve Irwin

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  20:06:16  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really feel for you, but i can only agree with the advise already given. Good luck.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  20:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my hot side probe & stat probe right in the centre of the hot spot on top of the substrate and the cool end (ambient) probe is tucked into the back corner of the non heated side on the surface but hidden by foliage so no rogue bulb heat can get to it.

I've had Duke 4 weeks and feed attempt number 3 is this weekend and fingers crossed a pup will tempt him to have a snack. They really are picky little gits, I knew what I was getting into getting a royal but I did hope for the best. (Your signature is awesome, beautiful pic). I'm sure in a few weeks time all these stubborn snakes will all start eating again and we'll all be wondering what all the fuss is about and then next year when it heappens we'll have a better idea of what's what and just be happy that we are saving money on food for a few months while they act all Royal again.

On a slight tangent, how FAT are rat pups, big fat wrinkly sausages with faces.

Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:07:06  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here are some pictures of the viv

Hot end

cool end

Oh okay then :) i'll try that and see if it is any better :)
Yeah thats what im hoping.. The reptile shop said i could bring him in to the shop and they'll try and get him feeding again, but i'll feel like if i do that i'll be giving up, and i dont want to do that, i want to learn lol
Haha I know! they're kind of cute in an alien type way LOL

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah my shop says they want to see Duke if he doesn't feed after 4 weeks of refusing food and they will assist feed him once and then try to get him feeding again. I think although its good the get a meal in them surely when they come back home they will just be back to square one again. I have a rat pup defrosting at the moment, going to pop it in when I go to bed and pray that overnight Duke gets the scent of fat-rat and eats it. Fingers crossed I guess.

There is only one thing I'd be concerned about (not even concerned more I'd wonder about it) you have a lot of vents in the top letting out hot air but no vents (that I can see) at floor level letting cold air be sucked in. The air might get a bit stagnant at ground level. I'm sure its nothing serious but something to consider if you decide to change the setup.

Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:52:56  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can that effect the snake?

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello surrounded. Couldn't agree more with everything Lotobob has said. Also what heat source where you using before the new bulb? Is he nice and snug (crammed) in his hides. He should just be able to squeze in. I would also put another one in there in the middle a plastic plant pot is fine. I know the suggestions are always 1/ hot end and 1/ cool but if he's shy an extra hide will only help. It's quite a lot of space in there for a 250g royal that isn't quite yet secure. I would also stick to his original food source of mice until I had him feeding regular and then try and convert. The best air circulation is when you have a vent low down at the cool end and another high up at the warm end. This will give you better ambient temps. Good luck.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SurroundedByMadness

I don't think there is any immediate danger or anything, just a lack of circulation can decrease oxygen levels though its not a sealed box so its not going to suffocate or anything.

Like Royalbob says it will affect ambient and also humidity.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

[quote]Originally posted by SurroundedByMadness

I don't think there is any immediate danger or anything, just a lack of circulation can decrease oxygen levels though its not a sealed box so its not going to suffocate or anything.

Like Royalbob says it will affect ambient and also humidity.

Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  10:36:27  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Before the infrared bulb was put in the viv there was a heat mat and a uv bulb, both of them together gave good temps during the day but cold during the night when the uv bulb was turned off, so i switched to an infrared bulb to fix this problem, and then to find that its not hot enough in there at all now.
He's always in his cool hide, i wouldnt say he was crammed, he takes up between 1/2 to 3/4 of the hides.

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  11:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke spends most of the time in his cool end hide too but there is only just enough room for him in there. If you have identified your temps are not right then at least you know what to do to fix it. Stuff the viv full of foliage and cardboard tubes. I have also started to turn the IR bulb down just a little bit on a night, just a few degrees but last night Duke ate, so I must have found his preference.

Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  17:01:15  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
After moving the probes around the hot end is at 32, but the cool end at 24...
Should I try moving the vents at the back so there are two at the bottom on the cool end and two at the top on the hot end? If so, how would i do that? :S

Edit: He also hasn't poo'd since the last time he ate 13 weeks ago...

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump

Edited by - SurroundedByMadness on 09/02/2011 17:04:33
Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  21:54:20  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Guys i'd really apreciate it if someone helped me out a bit.. I'm getting really stressed out, nothing seems to work, I don't know what to do...

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  23:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SurroundedByMadness

After moving the probes around the hot end is at 32, but the cool end at 24...
Should I try moving the vents at the back so there are two at the bottom on the cool end and two at the top on the hot end? If so, how would i do that? :S

Edit: He also hasn't poo'd since the last time he ate 13 weeks ago...

Thats fine, temp could go up 0,5-1" and that would be perfect.
Ambient should rise a touch once the air starts circulating.

He also won't poo again until he eats another meal and digest it.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Edited by - Royalbob on 15/02/2011 23:35:58
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  23:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't run out and make the amendment to the vents as an emergency, maybe next time you do a full clean. I would block a couple of the vents too when your sorting them, will help bring the ambient up a bit. I only have 2 vents.

Did you try putting a rat pup in overnight? (I started with a pup and now worked up to fluffs) I feed overnight and I use a small metal tin put a fluff on the tray, put it about 4 inches infront of the hide he frequents and then turn off all the lights in the room, and then sit as far away as I possibly can and wait or leave the room completely, takes about 20 minutes before Duke even pokes his head out. He is a shy feeder and it did take me a while to work out a way to get him feeding.
I'm sure its stressful for you but it may be nothing you are doing, Royals just fast when they feel like it. It may be as simple as that. He has fed with you so you know he can do it and the 4 months he has fasted is prime non-feeding season.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000