Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  12:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished Tig's viv set-up...kind of. I can't fit the Hydrometer in through the hole at the back, so my poor step-dad is gunna have to come over again to sort that for me, but the thermometer is in and I think after all the palarver I've been having, and Tig too, that the thermometer is the most important part at the minuet.

I just wanted to clarify, before trying to heat the thing up properly, that I've got everything right.

So here's the viv as a whole...

The hot end (the thermometer sensor is hidden behind the leaves at the back [you can just about see it poking out], just above the stat sensor)...

And the cool end (where he will have his existing hide till he's OK using the bigger ones, then I'll buy him another big one)...

There will be another smaller vine added, but other than that and his hide that he's using at the minuet in his crate that'll be it. So... anything wrong with it???

Just me and my zoo.

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  12:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe i couldn't quite see it right but i personally place my stat sensor and thermometer sensor directly under the heat bulb

if you have it this way in your set up then im sorry for above comment i just couldn't see it

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  12:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stat sensor is behind the hide, so it is underneath the bulb, but not exactly directly (just off slighty to one side). I saw that others were putting the hide directly under the bulb, so just thought I'd do the same. No good? I can move the hide a bit forward, but other than that that's all I can really do.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  13:04:25  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have Flo's hot hide in the corner so it isnt directly under the lamp but very close to it. That way she wont get super heated in her sleep. I often see her come out for a little bask directly under the lamp and then pop back in. Also, i agree with above, sensor should be under lamp so it actualy is illuminated by it, if its shaded it will give a false reading.

Viv is looking lovely! Tig will be so house proud!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  13:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i put my hide off set from the bulb and both probes just by the entrance so they are under the bulb too. im sure people do it slightly different but as long as temps are ok it should be ok

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  13:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks : ) After everything being such a pain recently I'd just like to get something right for a change X )

Here goes then... off to sort the heating out.

Will update tomorrow!

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  09:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just quickly, before I have to go out, I'm still having to tweak the stat around, and I'm confused about the tempratures showing 97 in the hot end but showing 63 in the cool end : / But I'm sure I can fix that somehow. I'm just trying to get the hot end right first though. Any reason why the temps would be so different to eachother?

ETA: I have now got the hydrometer fitted too... after a drill was involved X )

Just me and my zoo.

Edited by - BlueDragon on 14/02/2011 09:36:32
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  09:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i still have to tweak my stat every now and then but not by much. for some strange reason both my vivs were too hot at the hot end this morn. i had a cold end temp prob a couple of weeks back but i put this down to it being next to an exteral wall, our house is cold with no central heating. so i had a move around in the bedroom and cold end is ok now. how long have u had the heat bulb running it might be just a case of leaving it on to let the temps settle. i had my new viv running for a week b4 i put cilla in

your hot end temp is too high you should be looing for a temp of 91, my hot end ranges from 90.8 to 91.5. turn yor stat down a bit at a time leave to settle for awhile then keep repeating the proces untill you reach the right temp

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace

Edited by - blackskull on 14/02/2011 09:55:12
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  11:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
97-63 ???? something is reading wrong. difference of over 30 is impossible in that size space.
viv looks amazing.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  11:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea why the thermometer is reading wrong, but yeah that's what I thought... impossable. If I put my hand in and feel around the air I can feel a difference between the hot end and the cool, but nothing near that dramatic : / I'm tuning it down and down and down and the temps are staying put. I've managed to get the abient temprature down though, just not the two that really matter most. How is that possable??? The bulb has been running non stop now for a good few days, so does it still just need time to settle? I've now moved the thermometer to the middle of the viv, just to see if it would make a difference to the readings... but no, it doesn't. What can I do next??? The thermometer was reading fine when it was in the crate, so why not now (maybe it wasn't?)? I've only just got it as well, so it can't be a dead battery. The hydrometer is reading fine and it's stable. The viv is in the living room and it is a warm room (I have to keep it warm for myself with me having M.E. and being sensitive to cold, like a lizard!) But thing is the temp aren't changing even when the heating is on, or off. Even that is making no difference : / I have no idea what to do next, I feel that if I keep turning it down more it's just gunna be as warm as the living room it's self! The good news is that Tig is living in the crate on top of the viv, so he's feeling warmer, even if still not warm enough : ) I don't have the crate ontop of where the most heat is, so it's not to hot for him, just enough to warm his home up for him a bit. I gotta be helping him somehow : ( I feel so usless that things aren't working no matter what I do...

The good news! Tig is now off his steam treatment. I'm being wary still, and listening to his breathing every day, but so far so good. He's silent : ) He's now, also, on Jumbo meeces ('cause the rat weiners were far too big for him and the next thing down in rats was fluffs). He seems a happy boy and is starting to become more active in his crate, 'cause I can hear him at night moving around and using his vine : ) So I must be doing something right???

Thank you Royalbob, do you think I've achieved the 'Rainforest-in-a-box' effect I was going for? : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  12:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try using a good old fashioned mercury thermometer. i still use a mercury thermometer along with digital ones. Electronics can always fail. Place the thermometer on the substrate beside the hot hide and adjust stat until you get a temperature of 90 on the thermometer. ignore the stat just regulate it of what the thermometer is saying. Once the temp has settled at 90F move the same thermometer to beside the cool hide area and it should definately be around 80 especially if it's in a warm room. I mean the room temp itself is probably over 63F. Are there equal vents at to top and bottom of the viv?

Keep him on the steam for 5 days once a day after he stops any noise. Just to make sure its all clear. It doesn't do them any harm as there all natural ingredients. If you stop to soon it may reappear.
Good news with the jumbo mice. Rat weaners come in different sizes the smallest being about 35g which is smaller than jumbo mouse. Just tell your shop you want rat weaners the same size of the mice your buying now. If they say they don't there lying and just get them from somewhere else.

Yes i think you've achieved a great look in there, congrats.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  13:15:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The viv looks fantastic, nice and dark and plenty of stuff in, your oyal will love it I'm sure.

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  17:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking viv bluedragon I'm sure your royal will love it once you get the pain that is the "TEMPS" right lol on the subject of temps can I hijack this post for a quick question I've finally got the temp in the hot hide to settle at 30.5c and cerberus is spending most of his time in there although I have seen him basking on top of his hide so is the temp in his hide ok since he's spending most of his time in there? Only had him four days and done nothing but worry god help me lol :)

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  18:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemadd

Nice looking viv bluedragon I'm sure your royal will love it once you get the pain that is the "TEMPS" right lol on the subject of temps can I hijack this post for a quick question I've finally got the temp in the hot hide to settle at 30.5c and cerberus is spending most of his time in there although I have seen him basking on top of his hide so is the temp in his hide ok since he's spending most of his time in there? Only had him four days and done nothing but worry god help me lol :)

You can raise it up a couple degrees to 32.5c/ (90F)
don't worry you haven't done him any harm
relax relax relax

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  18:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, you just have to keep tweaking the stat (and forever and forever - it will drift ...don't worry about what the stat says - go by what your thermometer says.)

Hey, Bluedragon, did you get your cabinet hinges sorted?

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  11:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll never guess what! Go one have a guess ; )

...I was reading the thermometer wrong. Are you all shocked? 'Cause I'm not. I tell ya, it's a good job my mam has been keeping exotics on and off since she was a kid 'cause otherwise god knows what kinda botch-job of a set-up I'd have. OK, so you know how with those Exo-Terra digital ones (the one I have) it tells you the overall temprature of whereever the senser is and then you can press the button to see the highest temp and the lowest? Well, I was reading that thinking that it was telling me the hot end and cool end temps. So my mam explained to me what it actually meant and now I know that they actually mean how hot it has got, and how cool in said amount of time, whatever that would be. I knew there was a reason I'd liked using the ye olde fashioned mercury ones : /
So now I have a viv that is spot on 90 in the hot end, and 81 dot something in the cool end. It's perfectly stable, although it sometimes likes going up and down a tiny bit when the heating comes on or turns off, and the humidity is stable too. So when poor Tig has had time to settle after his mouse then he can fiiinaly go into his new home!

Stupidme.

Agagin, thank you for all the help : ) I'm sure your all rolling your eyes at me, so thank for being so patient too.

I might try and get hold of a mercury thermometer anyway, even if it's just to make me feel better about things. Pandora, my Corn Snake, always had one so I'm very used to them by now... and clearly not used to digital! But I haven't seen any in ages : /

Thank you for the comments on his viv too : ) I hope he will like it, he seemed very keen to try it out yesterday when I let him have a quick look-see, so fingers crossed he'll be OK.

Again, sorry for being so thick, but I think I've finally got there now so hopfully you'll have a bit of a break from my questions for a while.

Oh yeah, and no, I haven't got the hinges sorted, but only 'cause I haven't tryed with the hot water trick yet. Been so busy trying to get the viv right first. But I will try it and let you know : )

Thank yous!

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  12:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, that's brilliant ^^ Least you gave us a laugh.

Glad you've got everything sorted now :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  12:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol at least your honest.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  12:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, as a person who recently assembled 2 1 metre wide cabinets to fit into a 6' gap (not yet learned the difference between metres and yards, in other words) I'm not laughing at you. I reckon I'd have been the same with that thermometer!

I swear by my laser temp gun. You just go in there, point it at anywhere, hot end, cold end, ambient (but, obviously, not near snake's eyes or anyone's eyes for that matter.) Press the trigger, and there's your reading. You do have to be quick if the room's a bit chilly because obviously temps will fall when you open the door and you can't get a reading through glass. And it's a bit expensive - mine cost me £50 from Maplins, but there again it saves buying thermometers for 8 snakes.

Good luck with the cabinet, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Edited by - n/a on 16/02/2011 12:50:37
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  09:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone : ) I don't mind that you all got a laugh, I mean it is pretty funny. Plus, being dyslexic I can't really be that serious all the time. I've had a very hard time growing up with it, met some very nasty people, but I've just learnt to try and ignore people like that and have a laugh with the nicer people about it.

...Even if I am a tad embaressed.

Tig is now in the viv. I put him in last night. He actualy went in himself. I put him in at the cool end where his old hide is that he was using in the crate which is a plantpot with his little baby peice of bark he got when I bought him. Bless him he loves that bit of bark, it's like his blanky : ) Even if he can't actually fit under it anymore and whenever he tries there's always bits of him sticking out on all sides X ) I didn't want to just take it away from him though so I put it in his viv for him to use while he got used to the idea of the bigger one. I needn't have bothered though! He's quite happily snuggled up in the large hide in the hot end this morning : ) So I'll be buying him another one to match for the cool end and finaly be able to take his little comfort blanky away from him!
I think he is a bit shy of the new surounding and space, but I'm just going to leave him well alone for now and see what he's like in a few days. But it's his feed day on Monday so if he eats that's gotta be a good sign. If he really doesn't seem to be getting usd to the viv though after a while then I'll move him back into his crate, but he's never been one to be that bothered with big spaces so I'm sure he'll be fine : )

Once he's settled I'll take some more photos of the finished product and hopfully some of Tig as well.

The thermometer gun sounds a good idea... no idea where I'd get one from though : /

I did have a problem with the viv lock, in that it was jamming the doors shut. But after some bending and shaping I've managed to get it to work right... I just really hope it doesn't scratch the glass...

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  09:47:00  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy house warming Tig!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000