New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  09:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke had a feeding disaster last week with trying to eat the substrate so I bought a carpet tile, spend ages cutting it so it could just slot into the viv round the hides, put it in, it was a perfect fit, Duke didn't like the carpet, didn't eat. Little bugger he is lol. Well its that or he lip read me saying what a fat monster he was.

Back to the drawing board. PMSL.

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  10:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, goodluck with future tries

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  10:19:41  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol, they always do that, i take it he doesnt like feeding outside the viv

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  14:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke doesn't like feedin, full stop I think, he is super shy and won't even venture out of his hide unless all the lights are out but strangely when I fish him out and let him explore the couch he seems to be very confident. He's just a confused critter.

I've just come home from work and he is looking slightly shimmering on the black bits. From my anery corn shimmery black bits are indicators that they are about to go blue so possibly not the carpet and more a shed on the way. Though I'm not sure. Will leave it a week without handling and see what happens next weekend, he is out basking at the moment (never seen him do that before) so maybe he does just look shimmery in the light of day. One thing is for certain is its never boring with a royal, there is always something going on or something to make a note of.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  16:12:31  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats the fun with them lol
ye, might be that he is going into blue, youll find out within the next few days lol, fingers crossed he is and it was just that lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  16:21:26  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they do like to keep us on our toes these royals, he's royal, he is of course waiting for his suitably warmed rat to be presented on a silver platter (one must maintain standards )

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  17:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah silver platter, I'll put that on my list of things to try. It might work if it doesn't smell and isn't too shiny.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  13:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I know I really shouldn't attempt a feed one after the other but I just knew the carpet had put him off so I gave him one last night in just his normal tin and he took it. I took the waterbowl out just in case he decided to throw his food but this time but he took it straight out the tin away from the substrate. Was a bit naughty but I can rest easy for a week now

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  14:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad he fed for you.

A variation on your carpet idea that worked for me today:

Shahi and Saada are on aspen; when I got up today I removed their cold end hide, plus roosting snake, placed a plastic doggy feeding mat in each cold end on top of aspen and replaced hide on top of mat, plus cross snake. Then I defrosted prey. When it was warmed I returned.

Shahi sleeping in his cold end hide, Saada had fled to her midway hide which is hollow bamboo and safe to feed in. Presented food into the mouth of each hide ...

Half an hour later Shahi's mouse has gone. Saada still contemplating her rat, but that girl either grabs straight away or likes to wait till dead of night. Both only started feeding again last week after the Great Fast. Shahi has usually fed in a rub but this time I decided to try a little psychology.

I'm also very pleased that Surahi, who's been fasting, accepted a mouse slipped into the seagrass box she was sleeping in.

I expect it's luck, or the time of year, but plastic mat psychology has certainly worked in Shahi's case ...

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  15:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may try that, I'll just distract Alfie while I steal his mat.

It was a bit naughty trying again so soon after a refusal but I just knew it was the carpet that scared him. My sister made a joke something about carpet and not munching but couldn't repeat it on here

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  15:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I may try that, I'll just distract Alfie while I steal his mat.

It was a bit naughty trying again so soon after a refusal but I just knew it was the carpet that scared him. My sister made a joke something about carpet and not munching but couldn't repeat it on here

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000