Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't seem to get humidity above 4O% even with a second water bowl directly under the heat bulb. Is this a problem. When it comes to shedding i will mist the viv but will this lift it much more. It is only a exo terra dial hygrometer so not taking it as 100% gospel.

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  23:24:46  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A digi one is better although having said that my dial one has not differed much from the accurate digi one!
The substrate can make a difference, i use orchid bark which hold more moisture. I let it dry before using it as its quite wet when bought.
What are you using?
40% isnt a worry though but when shedding, aim for at least 60%

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  00:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
were using the beach wood chip, would misting twice a day reach the 60%. can anyone explain the moist hide in a bit more detail. monty as said by the last owners sheds like confetti and is due his first shed with us anytime soon.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  00:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found the IR bulb dries out the humidity in my vivarium, the lowest I've left it before giving the foliage round the edges a mist was 36%, i have the corn setup with a bulb and his sits at an almost constant 45% so its the setup doing the air drying.

I aim for 50% but if it slips either way a little bit doesn't bother me and to be honest I don't trust my digi hygrometers, as anything more than an approx guide.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  00:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will viv near a radiator be the problem. he will be moved into a matching v exotic vx36 on top of the corns after his quarantine period. should we mist when hes not shedding or just settle for 40 percent until hes in blue. have you got to be carefull bulb wise after your cracked bulb when misting. ie not mistnig near bulb or mist low down etc.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  08:37:13  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dont mist near bulb at all, I only mist away from it.
Flo has cork bark hides which i turn into damp hides by adding a damp 'magic' cloth (highly absorbant fabric)underneath, I put this next to her favourite hide near hot end with the enrance to each hide close together and facing each other. It makes like a twin roomed cave! one damp room and one dry. She normaly opts for the dry but with the benifit of the damp. when her eyes start to clear i spray onto the cork bark and walls which brings up the humidity.

Flo used to shed like confeti, now she sheds in 1 piece.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  09:01:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hygrometers are more trouble that they're worth, chuck it away, it they shed fine, then its fine.

I certainly wouldn't mist the viv twice a day.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  10:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started having trouble with my digital hydrometer. It was reading far too low (I think it was saying 33 at the most), and it kept cutting out despit it being almost brand new. But if I put my hand in the viv it was claggy in a second, so the reading must have been miles off. I've taken it to the petshop I got it off and they've now got it working along one of their own to see how it acts. But to be honest the more I read about them the more tempted I am to just ditch it altogether, ask for the money back and just continue to judge the humidity myself. Seems hands are far more acurate.

At the minuet, judging by my hand only, I'm only misting the viv once or sometimes twice a week. But I'm being carful to keep the humidity high at the minuet 'cause Tig has now gone clear and is going to shed any day now (fingers crossed for a whole skin!). I'm learning that if the viv feels like you've just put your hand into a rainforest then everything's fine : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  10:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Hygrometers are more trouble that they're worth, chuck it away, it they shed fine, then its fine.

I certainly wouldn't mist the viv twice a day.

Completely agree. Never owned one and probably never will.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  07:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a anolog hygrometer in with both my snakes just as a quick refference. my royals viv its around 55%. when i see my snakes go blue i just put a damp flannel on top of the hot hides to increase the humidity. its looks a bit odd having them in the vivs but i found it works and mine shed clean every time

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  10:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very tempted to throw mine out too. Very unreliable and like you say you can feel the air inside a viv is humid. I've turned the corn snakes off completely as he is fine and never needs any adjustments to humidity.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  19:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can the bagged bark available at b&q be used as substrate, just wondered as it looks the same as orchid bark at a fraction of the cost.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  20:11:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Check the contents, they will probably contain Pine!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  20:12:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I buy a 25kg sack of Aubiose for £8, lasts forever.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  20:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so if it doesn't contain pine is it ok to use, i was thinkin more of what might be living in it.
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  20:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just cannot raise humidity above 38% tried everything and hes due a shed anytime. even thought the dial was dodgy so took the one out the corns viv that was reading 55% and within an hour dropped to 38% the same as the one already in there. the viv is infront of a radiator (only temporarily for quarantine period) will this be whats drying out the air. substrate is last option.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  20:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buy a bag of spagnum moss and chuck in a good handfull the cool end freeze the rest for next time.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  20:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
garden centre stuff or does it have to be the special reptile stuff, in a sandwhich box or not, how big does the hole have to be, does it need wetting or straight from the bag.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  21:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only ever seen it in Pets at home, either in the dried block or fresh and pre moist. I'm super cautious so I would go for the special reptile stuff but I honestly dont know about the garden centre stuff.

I put my corn snakes in a snake cave when he sheds, and Duke has some just thrown in the back corner of the vivarium. I actually took it out because it started to smell but will just throw it in the corner come shedding time. I have heard that people just use face cloths instead, maybe try that.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  21:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tried the face cloth, its in there now saturated in water also a large plastic tub full of water under the bulb an humidity still not budged. been there all day.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  22:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats strange. anything wet in anywhere hot creates humidity. I think your hygrometer is knackered.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000