New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  14:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fed Duke last night, his first time with me on his proper sized weaner rat. He kept grabbing and getting it all kinds of wrong, after about 10 minutes I thought he would start to lose interest, he spat the rat turned to move away then just flew at it, grabbed it in the middle and threw it clean over his head straight into the water bowl. No idea how he even managed to throw it but he did, then he grabbed the rat in the water and constricted it, rolling out of the bowl tipping it over in the process. By now he was completely away from the covered substrate and he ended up covered in substrate and so did the rat, I had to wade in and take it off him, clean off the crud and give him it back on the covered bit, he got it right and swallowed it down. I figured job eventful but done, he then just decided to pick up a piece of substrate and swallowed it the crazy fool, it was only a really tiny bit so I'm not overly worried but working on a feeding mat now to cover all the substrate I can and thinking about trying him feeding out of the vivarium.

On the plus side, WOW he is such a powerful litle snake, he Jackie Chan'd that rat something shocking, I'm very impressed and proud.

Edited by - Lotabob on 19/02/2011 14:42:12

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  14:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - life is never boring with a royal eh?

Saada did much the same thing after she first arrived, although not as dramatically. I'd been told she liked to feed in-viv, so covered up substrate ... what did she do? Cavort off into the uncovered bit with ratty, and pose there with ratty disappearing down her gob and bits of aspen in her teeth ...

Did I grab her and try to clean her up and risk a regurge??? Or leave her be??? I reasoned that in the wild they might accidentally ingest all sorts of bits of stuff, so left her.

Worry worry worry!!! (Made sure it never happened again, though - I use a plastic pet feeding mat these days and put ratty inside her hide for her to find.)

Several months later, she's fine.

Congrats on the powerful feed - that's great!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  15:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've bought a big pet bowl to put ratty in and a plastic mat to cover the substrate, just deciding on whether to disguise it as substrate or probably just leave it be. I was able to get all of the substrate off the rat without disturbing Duke really, though I did keep a close guard, make sure I didn't become a dinner attempt. I use really small bark/woodchip so him eating a piece isn't the best but like you say they swallow all sorts of crud in the wild so I hope it just dissolves/breaks up or passes straight through.

It was eventful but I loved every second of it.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  17:53:49  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, who needs TV eh?
I'm using a very coarse orchid bark at the moment and i have to say, it just dont stick to rats! Seems too chunky to be a problem. Although i still put a little chopping board in to serve up on!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lancelot
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  19:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how did you manage to take it off him ? teeth all pointed inwards which i'd worry about hurting and strong coil, together !

Defiantly sounded eventful and at least his persistence was there :)

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  20:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was only holding onto the leg when he constricted and let go after, I saw it was covered in substrate so I pounced before he got chance to grab it again, dusted it down and gave him it back. I don't quite know what I'd have done if he had still held on, trying to take it off him would have just provoked another constrict I think, he was properly in the kill zone. I decided to take the risk of a bite over the risk of him making intestine chipboard, the vet bill would have hurt a lot more. I'd never pull something (even if it was my hand) out of a snakes mouth, their teeth although effective are delicate and only end up going in deeper when you pull away.

He wasn't going to give in until he had that rat nicely tucked up in his tummy.

Go to Top of Page

mort13
Yearling

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  20:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow,that sounds like one hell of an exhilerating feed! Good to hear he's doing well now with his food.

1.0.0 Royal Python, 0.1.0 Western Hognose, 4.3.0 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 1.1.0 True Olive House Snakes
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake, 1.0.0 California Kingsnake
0.0.2 Occelated skinks, 1.0.0 Leopard gecko, 0.0.1 Cranwell's Horned frog,
0.1.0 Congo Green mantis, 0.0.1 H.Spinifer, 0.1.0 G.Rosea (RCF)

0.1.0 normal c0ckatiel

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  20:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol that's hard work. Fun to read though.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Lancelot
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  20:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
makes sense now

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was hard work, I like it eventful but that was too much. I think I'm going to attempt to feed in a seperate tub next week just to see if it works now he is settled.

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fed mine today for the first time since I got him, and although he's on kitchen roll at the moment I don't want him to think he's being fed every time I put my hand in his viv lol, so I took him out and put him in a RUB he was a bit nervous at first but got a whiff of ratty and as they say the rest is history, so it might be worth a try next time cause one things for sure It'll be a lot less stress

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000