bulb gaurd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to get the temp of 32 degrees on top of the sustrate of our 24 inch high viv using a 100w infa red bulb our habistat 600w dimming stat is on full power to reach the correct temp. the bottom of the bulb gaurd is quite hot to the touch. it doesn't seem like the gaurd is too small. the gaurd measures 5inchx5x8. tried a smaller bulb (in size and only40w/) gaurd doesn't get as hot but temp on substrate reaches 24 max.bit worried monty will burn if he gets wrapped around the gaurd, help please.

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its touchable with your hand but with the back of your hand you pull away quite quickly. is it because the viv is quite a bit higher than your average viv so its much hotter at the top to reach the correct temp down below. monty as yet has shown some intrest in the gaurd but not actually wrapped around it. only got him this morning just worried he'll go wrap himself round it overnight.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm... well, this is a subject that puzzles me too.

The usual advice is to position the probe of a dimmer stat directly below the bulb.

When I fitted my first dimmer stat the instruction leaflet told me to place the probe at least 9" away from the heat source ...

The way I look at it is:-

Your average stat cannot be relied on to give you an accurate temp reading. Keep on tweaking the stat - but read the thermometer, not the stat gauge.

The average stat temp only goes up to 32/34c.

If you put the probe midway in the viv, then you are only asking it to register - what? 28c or thereabouts?

Giving you much more scope to tweak the stat so that the warm end registers the required 32c.

Hope you follow this - not sure that I do but I HAVE found it to work!

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so your saying put it midway. with it being quite a tall viv i was quite concerned that at midway where monty spends most of his time on branches would be around 35 degrees closer to the bulb, although the floor temp is reading 32.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Additions:

I measure the substrate (I use a temp gun) for the required 32c - yes, it will be warmer near the bulb and guard.

He's in a new environment (despite it being his own viv) so he may be on the roam. I know my Shahi went mad over his bulb guard when I first set up his IR ... sorry I can't really give any advice over this exploring, but, is he wrapping himself round the guard or are you just worried (don't blame you!) that he will? It's possible he may just yawn and roll into his hide, as they do, and that will be that ...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, sorry, overlapped!

So he likes to be up on his branches, like my Shahi?

Don't worry - they know how to thermoregulate - yes, I've sometimes wondered, is he okay up there, where the heat rises, but seems they know what to do.

hope he settles in okay, you know where we are if any more questions.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with what your saying but the previuos owner said hes wrecked two gaurds by squashing them but with a bulb ungaurded he shows no interest in. i personally wouldnt heat on a bulb that was unguarded. at present the temp and stat probe are on the sustrate which is 19 inches from the bulb. should i move sensors up 5 or so inches and set to 32degrees.
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got the same size viv as you and a 100wIR bulb as well which is right above the hide and the stat probe is on the substrate just infront of the hide and the thermometer inside the hide and reads 31.5-32.5 although the guard does get hot I don't think it would be hot enough to burn, no matter what wattage bulb you use or how big the guard is it'll always feel hot to the touch the only way to stop it would be to use a heat mat but then you get a whole new set of problems like thermal blocking

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  22:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's squashed two guards???

I wouldn't have thought a royal could grip hard enough for that - I use the bog-standard heavy gauge guards and have never had any trouble - mind you, the only royal whoever showed any interest was Shahi as a hatchling.

Yes, I wouldn't dare use an unguarded bulb.

If you're using a conventional thermometer, the probe needs to be in the hot end, on the substrate, and that registers 32c, that's fine. Take no notice of what the stat says! Yes, I find I get more leeway by having my stat probe about midway in the viv - I just keep wiggling the dial until I get the required reading in the hot end.

Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  22:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
temp is now reding max 29.9 avr 29.2 min 28.0. should we not worry maybe dropped a little cos the glass doors was open for five mins or so. just want a happy snake at correct temps. when we picked him up this morning they had him on an unstatted heatmat. not good in my eyes as she was telling us how her sister has a degree in reptiles health an keeping etc. first thing we did was get rid of the mat and get a statted bulb. would he be behaving different cos of the change. for the last hour hes been in the same position on his branch but before that he was constantly roaming.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  22:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unstatted heatmat? That is really bad. Even a statted heatmat can cause burns to royals - glad you ditched that.

Roaming in a new home is normal and healthy - sounds like he's settling down now.

Yes, the temps would have dropped with the door being open - just keep monitoring them but sounds like you're getting there now.

All the best!

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  11:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Squashed 2 guards???? What type of material are they? 2ft high is also quite high for a heavy bodied royal. Are there vents low down on the cool end of the viv?
This makes a big difference in air circulation to just having vents along the top. Make sure there is suffiecent room between the bulb and the guard that way the guard won't get too hot.
Ceramic bulb guards are often longer than normal bulb guards so will not get as hot plus you have the extra height to play with. I check the temps a few times a day (quick glance) but i've never had to adjust the stat and temp stays constant +- a degree here and there.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  11:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been having difficulties of my own with heating so I don't think it's my buisness to comment... but he squashed two guards??? How the... Are you sure you have a Royal there? ; ) My guard is rock solid, I think even a giant species of snake would have to give in some time to squish it! I really am shocked by that!

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  13:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm not sure what type of guard they were. could of been the homemade ones out of that chicken type wire for all i know,its just what the previous owner said yesterday when we picked him up.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  13:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, try googling Blue Lizard reptile supplies. Guards are silly prices - can be £18+ in the shops, but Blue Lizard (in Sheffield - don't know if this is handy for you) is currently selling them at £8.

If you stock up on other stuff (they're pretty cheap) delivery is free over £50. If you live in west Yorks you're welcome to come and buy a guard off me - I stocked up on several £8 ones for the future - sounds like a bit of an emergency so don't mind parting with one. But their delivery is pretty prompt if you do decide to order.

These guards are standard, and 5" x 5" x 6" long and they're very strong. I've just measured Surahi's and it wasn't hot, although her temps are fine.

Hope you get sorted soon - it can be worrying at first but you'll get there. Keep us posted.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  16:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure the guards I use could hold my weight. http://www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk/pro-rep-spot-bulb-guard-black-1893-p.asp They are expensive but super strong and give 2cm clearance around my 75 watt IR and 1.5cm clearance around a 100 watt IR both giving 2cm clearance at the bottom. I'm sure you will be able to find them cheaper if you shop around I only put up this site to show the ones I bought.

Edited by - Lotabob on 20/02/2011 16:29:39
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  17:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, the Blue Lizard £8 are pro rep.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  18:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw them doing them for £8. They are really sturdy and easy to fit and they dont get all that hot either they appear plastic coated which I guess helps them stay cool. I wouldn't recommend them for small corn snakes though, my hatchie Spot kept getting inside his, the holes aren't that small.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  20:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
problem now sorted. the guard we were using was one that we had for the corns.its one of those with loads of tiny round holes specifically for hatchies. i've been to b&q an got some mesh and made one. it doesn't get hot at all and can quite easily get the temps correct with the stat not on full power like before.the other gaurd must have been absorbing most of the heat. hopefully monty wont be able to squash this one lol. thanks for all the help.
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  00:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it's sorted but you really can't go wrong with £8 buying you a proper guard.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave